News Article: Globe and Mail Coverage of Jets

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
People sure get mesmerized by a good orator. Maurice is good at the jibber jabber, just not my style. Has a little bit of an ex-cop turned motivational speaker vibe :)

broinwhyteridge

Jun 27, 2011
Fire Maurice
Yup, tough to gauge the intangibles. I know Maurice values leadership quite a bit, Thor and stu can be replaced by better players per se, but their leadership may be more valuable than people think. Tough to gauge but results speak for themselves!

Intangibles are overrated. I put the toilet seat down all the time but my wife still shouts at me.

19kiefer94

Jun 3, 2014
Winterpeg
A few people have mentioned how Leafs and Habs are popular teams, and they are. However the Jets are Canada's team for one reason- no one hates us. I travel to BC, Calgary, Toronto, and Montreal lots with school and work, and in all places everyone loves the jets. Unless the Jets play against their favourite team they cheer for the Jets. Multiple people in these all of these cities have said something along the lines of "how can you hate the jets?". I think in a couple years when we are truly contenders for more then a round or two, we will have the support of the entire nation to bring the cup back to where it belongs- Canada. Its something i don't think would happen with any other team. I know myself and most of my friends will never root for the leafs or habs just so the cup comes back to Canada.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
People sure get mesmerized by a good orator. Maurice is good at the
jibber jabber
, just not my style. Has a little bit of an ex-cop turned motivational speaker vibe :)

Seems like the team understands him pretty clearly no? Haven't heard him speak on the dinner circuit but what I hear from him in the press conferences is a breath of fresh air. Seems pretty strait forward and not the usual coach speak.

Last edited:

Puckatron 3000

Glitchy Prototype
Feb 4, 2014
Offensive Zone
A few people have mentioned how Leafs and Habs are popular teams, and they are. However the Jets are Canada's team for one reason- no one hates us.

Why might this be?
Possibly a combination of:
  • Underdog story (everyone loves one)
  • Exciting to watch play
  • We have never knocked anyone's favorite team out of the playoffs (yet!)

I know myself and most of my friends will never root for the leafs or habs just so the cup comes back to Canada.

I'll always go Canada first in the playoffs. But I get that some people just can't do it. ;)

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
Seems like the team understands him pretty clearly no? Haven't heard him speak on the dinner circuit but what I hear from him in the press conferences is a breath of fresh air. Seems pretty strait forward and not the usual coach speak.

I was just saying his style isn't my cup of tea not that he is bad in a general sense.

19kiefer94

Jun 3, 2014
Winterpeg
Why might this be?

• [*]Underdog story (everyone loves one)
  • Exciting to watch play

I'll always go Canada first in the playoffs. But I get that some people just can't do it. ;)

I think this is the main thing.. I mean we are small little Winnipeg in the middle of who knows where, with nothing to do.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
People sure get mesmerized by a good orator. Maurice is good at the jibber jabber, just not my style. Has a little bit of an ex-cop turned motivational speaker vibe :)

I've heard many great speakers. Some (Barack Obama) talk a lot and evoke emotion, but don't really say a tonne of substantial things.

Maurice seems a lot more honest and real. He's very eloquent, but there's meat in his words. If you read the article, there is a part where they say that his honesty comes through when he speaks and that is why the players really respect him. I don't get jibber jabber from him at all.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
I've heard many great speakers. Some (Barack Obama) talk a lot and evoke emotion, but don't really say a tonne of substantial things.

Maurice seems a lot more honest and real. He's very eloquent, but there's meat in his words. If you read the article, there is a part where they say that his honesty comes through when he speaks and that is why the players really respect him. I don't get jibber jabber from him at all.

Jibber, jabber isn't meant to be negative. It was just jibber jabber, ya feel?

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO

When he was hired, I called him "Claude Noel's older, more successful brother". I'm sticking with that, even though he's 12 years younger than Noel(!?).

Both are/were very engaging media personalities, but in different ways.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
When he was hired, I called him "Claude Noel's older, more successful brother". I'm sticking with that, even though he's 12 years younger than Noel(!?).

Both are/were very engaging media personalities, but in different ways.

Maurice talks in platitudes. It bugs me. I don't expect everyone(anyone?) to agree with me :)

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
I was just saying his style isn't my cup of tea not that he is bad in a general sense.
That's fine, to each his own...

Maurice talks in platitudes. It bugs me. I don't expect everyone(anyone?) to agree with me :)
...but he does not talk in platitudes.
There is a lot of fresh insight and specificity in Maurice's commentary, unlike so many hockey people. His professorial style might turn you off, but it is anything but platitudinous.
If anyone talks in platitudes, it is Chevy.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
The thing I like about Maurice is his even tempered approach to things. Sure he can get fired up about things but what I mean is he seems to do a great job of controlling the highs and lows with the team, he is very focused and so is his team. He's not really prone to any hyperbole and he also doesn't enter into throwing guys under the bus to make headlines.

He's done a good job, he obviously knows hockey players and how to handle them at the Pro level and clearly is quite adept at identifying the talent at hand and how to best employ it.

I don't find him to be some great orator or motivational speaker, does he even pretend to be this? I don't see it, he seems too humble for that. I think he rightly defers it all to the players, he's smart enough to know that it's really them that make it successful or not.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Why might this be?
  • Underdog story (everyone loves one)
  • Exciting to watch play

I think this is the main thing.. I mean we are small little Winnipeg in the middle of who knows where, with nothing to do.

I think Puck's last point has a lot to do with it too.

I don't think we are Canada's team yet. We probably will be if we get past the 1st round. That will change next year when we are regarded as a threat instead of the underdog.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
The thing I like about Maurice is his even tempered approach to things. Sure he can get fired up about things but what I mean is he seems to do a great job of controlling the highs and lows with the team, he is very focused and so is his team. He's not really prone to any hyperbole and he also doesn't enter into throwing guys under the bus to make headlines.

He's done a good job, he obviously knows hockey players and how to handle them at the Pro level and clearly is quite adept at identifying the talent at hand and how to best employ it.

I don't find him to be some great orator or motivational speaker, does he even pretend to be this? I don't see it, he seems too humble for that. I think he rightly defers it all to the players, he's smart enough to know that it's really them that make it successful or not.

He does often take that gentle authoritative tone I hate so much :). He's good at saying things that sound truthful and honest, but is mostly blowing smoke up everyones ass and them liking it. I saying all this in a "he's OUR smarmy *****" sort of way.

PS: I hope it's apparent I am joking.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
That's fine, to each his own...

...but he does not talk in platitudes.
There is a lot of fresh insight and specificity in Maurice's commentary, unlike so many hockey people. His professorial style might turn you off, but it is anything but platitudinous.
If anyone talks in platitudes, it is Chevy.

Chevy is THE worst GM at talking to the media.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad