News Article: Globe and Mail Coverage of Jets

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
I thought this deserved a thread of its own and am hoping Mods can consolidate recent and future G&M articles here.
The Globe and Mail is arguably Canada's premier national newspaper and a barometer of what is making waves in the Center of the Universe. So, the number of articles and references about the Jets in the past 2 weeks alone is telling. James Mirtle started it and, today, Eric Duhatschek, continued it.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...maurice-got-the-jets-to-soar/article22614433/

Keep in mind this is the weekend edition of the G&M, on NHL all-star weekend...and the entire front page of the sports section (continued further in, an additional 2/3 of a page) is taken up by an article on Paul Maurice and the Jets.
Much of the article is in praise of his hockey mind, ability to communicate and to teach the game to the players. But my favourite quote, near the end of the article, is Chipman's, because it references the concepts of character, intelligence, and fit--factors which are sometimes under-rated around here, but are essential to building a successful organization.

"Paul is what you see-and that straightforward humility really resonated...how impressive he is, in terms of the way he articulates himself and does so in a really grounded, humble way. So...people felt right away he was a fit"

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
My job takes me all over Canada and whatever NHL city I'm in the Jets are always their 2nd favourite team.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Maurice is the best public speaker Ive ever seen, and Ive seen some real good ones including Craig Kielburger. He just comes across so honest and with integrity and I can see why players respect him.

Analyst365

Oct 24, 2011
Victoria
This reeks a bit of high school ... the cool kid (Toronto) noticed me (Jets) in class today :heart::vhappy::heart:

All good though. All good.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
This reeks a bit of high school ... the cool kid (Toronto) noticed me (Jets) in class today :heart::vhappy::heart:

not really. with Vancouver, Montreal, Toronto and Calgary all having populations over 1 million people, the G&M could focus on any of those cities' stories. Toronto's losing streak and lack of scoring, Calgary being the 3rd team in the east surprising everyone, Montreal in the playoff hunt (or Subban getting snubbed for the all star game) and Vancouver having a comeback year.

but the Jets' recent record is one of the most compelling stories in the NHL. media's literally taken notice in the past week. prior to that, the Toronto radio conversation would be limited to occasionally mentioning the Jets once in a blue moon, asking "are they for real?" Now, it's "they're for real, everyone. Take notice."

it's a great story and with so many Winnipeggers being transplanted across Canada, i'd venture that the Jets are the 3rd most popular Canadian road team (after Habs and Leafs).

i expect to see 1000-2000 Jets jerseys at the Leafs-Jets game. i expect huge media scrutiny. it will be Winnipeg's biggest televised game this year

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014

Well, only in as much as the Globe is based out of Toronto, I think it's more about some writers who's job it is to cover the entire league are singling out our Jets, I could care less about the Toronto aspect.

Besides, Duhatschek is based out of Calgary, he's not a Toronto sportswriter.

imec

Sponsor
Aug 29, 2013
Winnipeg
Can't read it - they hope I've enjoyed my 10 free articles this month and now want me to pony up. **** them.

drew77

Oct 11, 2011
Can't read it - they hope I've enjoyed my 10 free articles this month and now want me to pony up. **** them.

Go into the cookies folder for your browser, delete the one for the globe and mail and voila you will have 10 more articles to read. Repeat as necessary. Works for the Sun as well.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
“We lost our top four and we play that little game in the coaches’ office when it happened: ‘What would the other team look like without their top four?’ Which is a foolish game to play, but it makes you feel better somehow,†Maurice said. “But coming in here and changing the focus on what we’re good at, then being good at that, there wasn’t any falloff when we had the injuries. The message didn’t have to change because the message was, ‘We’re all going to try and do these two or three different things and hold ourselves accountable to them’ and then it won’t matter, when players went down to injury.â€

Thank you so much for sharing! What an eye opener and I have so much more respect for Maurice than I did before (which was already pretty high).

He is looking like a pretty brilliant hire and seems like an amazing guy. I think he is going to win Coach Of The Year.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
“We lost our top four and we play that little game in the coaches’ office when it happened: ‘What would the other team look like without their top four?’ Which is a foolish game to play, but it makes you feel better somehow,†Maurice said. “But coming in here and changing the focus on what we’re good at, then being good at that, there wasn’t any falloff when we had the injuries. The message didn’t have to change because the message was, ‘We’re all going to try and do these two or three different things and hold ourselves accountable to them’ and then it won’t matter, when players went down to injury.â€

Thank you so much for sharing! What an eye opener and I have so much more respect for Maurice than I did before (which was already pretty high).

He is looking like a pretty brilliant hire and seems like an amazing guy. I think he is going to win Coach Of The Year.

I agree, but he has his warts.

After all, he's the guy who supports Thorbs and Stu so much...;)

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida

I don't think anyone's perfect. :laugh:

I'm willing to accept these transgressions because the good he brings far outweighs the bad.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013

It is also possible that a guy who has coached 1000 NHL games knows more about personnel decisions than HF boards. :D

Hobby Bull

amazon sucks
May 21, 2013

There really might be something to the idea of having guys in the line-up who change the mind-set of opposing players. Their personal performance metrics are not great, but they may lift up the play of the team.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
There really might be something to the idea of having guys in the line-up who change the mind-set of opposing players. Their personal performance metrics are not great, but they may lift up the play of the team.

Yup, tough to gauge the intangibles. I know Maurice values leadership quite a bit, Thor and stu can be replaced by better players per se, but their leadership may be more valuable than people think. Tough to gauge but results speak for themselves!

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
It's impossible for a bright man to make a wrong decision ;)

(or good decisions instead of the best decisions)

Some of your lines are harder to decipher than the Saturday crossword. I've been around the boards for a while, and appreciate your work, but some of your opinions have been good too but not the best, just look back at some posts #humility ;)

seasontixholder*

Or use Firefox and right click the article you want to read and open in a private tab or private window. You never have to clear cookies and it always work. I have to do that to read WFP newspaper while I'm in Florida.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad