Glass half full thread

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
Let's look at positives

1- John Tavares and his line are firing on nothing...(all Three) (alot of room from improvement)
2-Our PP is zero for 16 I believe. (can only get better right?)
3-Our goaltending has been pretty mediocre (except one game from Greiss) (can improve no?)
4- 3 road games in 5 ( If we can get by the Kings with a win we are over 5 hundred with 4 road games in 6GP)
5- Barzal creating with zero points to show ( it appears to me it will come)
6- Nelson actually playing with authority
7- Scoring for the team in low in general (room for improvement?)
8- The raggies looking lost (lol) have to throw this in
9- Ho Sang looking dangerous both ends of the rink...(lol)
10- Pelech and Mayfield can play.

any others? My point is last year we may of killed for this start. Yes we are playing mediocre at best, I see plenty of areas where we have the ability to do better. When the smoke clears after this road trip we may be in striking distance to put some wins together. JT does need to put all this contract stuff aside and start playing mean and lead alittle. Hopefully that comes sooner than later

Poliz24

Jun 25, 2012
LI
Delete this thread now! There can never be any optimism in regards to this team, you should know better!:sarcasm:

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
So the positive is that the glass is half full, meaning there is another half to fill up.... Will that happen before the said glass breaks? That's the question.

TommytheCat

Oct 23, 2010
Florida
for two most part i think the team has enough talent to be successful... looks like coaching will be our demise this year

1calledsteve

Dec 17, 2013
Long Island
So I will continue with the glass half full since most of HF Isles is going into a constant negative death spiral of Team Sucks -> PP Sucks -> Tavares is going to leave -> Fire Weight/Snow -> Team Sucks.

The team right now, is average. Almost every metric I can find puts them in the 10-20 range in almost every statistical category. Granted the PP is bad, but the Ducks haven't scored a PP goal yet either.

That being said, there are a lot of new faces, both coaching staff and players who have been jumbled a bit. We aren't even 10 games into the season yet to really let chemistry build and find out what doesn't work. You have Ho-sang, Barzal, Eberle, Mayfield and Pelech eating regular minutes that didn't last year. You have Beau and Pulock who will be mixed into the lineup more as the season wears on.

This team is going to be prone to mistakes just based upon experience and lack of chemistry between everyone . Just wait until after 10-15 games. If the team is 5-7-3 at that point and hasn't gained momentum, then lets start questioning everything. I'm giving the coaches time to learn their players and matchups. I'm giving the players time to adjust to each other and the coaching staff.

They have played "poorly" yet are an exciting team (based upon shot attempts for/against) and have really only been blown out once on opening night. Every other game they have played they have been in it. They will get better and worst case they will find out what doesn't work and look to make moves accordingly.

isles31

Poster Excellont
Feb 19, 2007
LI
in the interest of being as accurate as possible in reference to point #2, our power play is -3 for 16.

Reactions: mm11

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
in the interest of being as accurate as possible in reference to point #2, our power play is -3 for 16.

man I'm dying here. lol. technically I think we are -4 for 18 now. Has any team ever finished at a minus? seriously, think the Isles will score 30 PP goals this year? I would not be floored if we let in 25 plus shorties.....(folks I'm being sarcastic if you didnt know but man the more this keeps going the vision of a minus PP may be a reality lol)

Reactions: isles31

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Hearing that the young defensemen are playing well along with JHS and Barzal creating chances is my glass half full. IMO they were the X factors that would make or break the team.

The guys struggling, JT, Leddy, Ladd were not the guys I was worried about and are pretty confident in the veterans that they'll turn it around.

They have competed and kept the games close with a horrid power play and some soft goals. Soft goals can be cut down and the power play will score eventually (I hope) and game outcomes will change.

I was so excited for the season but the schedule with the Columbus day straight into the West Coast road trip has really messed with my viewing. Pumped to beat down the Raggies in the Garden to start a streak!

Goombha

Raging Ryan
Aug 27, 2013
So I will continue with the glass half full since most of HF Isles is going into a constant negative death spiral of Team Sucks -> PP Sucks -> Tavares is going to leave -> Fire Weight/Snow -> Team Sucks.

The team right now, is average. Almost every metric I can find puts them in the 10-20 range in almost every statistical category. Granted the PP is bad, but the Ducks haven't scored a PP goal yet either.

That being said, there are a lot of new faces, both coaching staff and players who have been jumbled a bit. We aren't even 10 games into the season yet to really let chemistry build and find out what doesn't work. You have Ho-sang, Barzal, Eberle, Mayfield and Pelech eating regular minutes that didn't last year. You have Beau and Pulock who will be mixed into the lineup more as the season wears on.

This team is going to be prone to mistakes just based upon experience and lack of chemistry between everyone . Just wait until after 10-15 games. If the team is 5-7-3 at that point and hasn't gained momentum, then lets start questioning everything. I'm giving the coaches time to learn their players and matchups. I'm giving the players time to adjust to each other and the coaching staff.

They have played "poorly" yet are an exciting team (based upon shot attempts for/against) and have really only been blown out once on opening night. Every other game they have played they have been in it. They will get better and worst case they will find out what doesn't work and look to make moves accordingly.

Great post. I agree. My only worry is virtually no ability to carry the puck into the o-zone, and no one who can win faceoffs more often than not. I don't see those things changing without adding a star player. As is, they can make the playoffs, but I want the full glass.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Individually I think I have liked every player save for de Haan, Tavares and Leddy. And all three players are great and will start playing better as soon as Thursday.

As far as grouping goes, PK has been great.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
I'm going with:

They haven't played well (only spurts), yet are only 2-3-1; outside of the opener their two losses were by a goal to good teams.

And...

Scott Mayfield, biggest surprise of this young season.

Reactions: Svengoolie

Hunn

Feb 23, 2017
Glass half empty: this is the worst start after 6 games since 2009/10 season, even the last year team started better.

Glass half full: the 1979/80 Islanders started with the same record of 2-3-1.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Am I allowed to bump this? :D

Get the PP up into the mid-teens and the PK up to the mid-80's and we have ourselves a competitive team here fellas (and ladies, didn't forget you Nicole).

Reactions: mm11

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
Am I allowed to bump this? :D

Get the PP up into the mid-teens and the PK up to the mid-80's and we have ourselves a competitive team here fellas (and ladies, didn't forget you Nicole).

5x5 we are close to the best of the best without looking at stats.....If our PP and PK get to average we are a legit playoff team

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad