Give it up Moore!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Pilsner

Sep 1, 2005
I'm watching the russia vs. slovakia game and at the beginning of the 1st intermission, rod mclean reports that steve moore and family are again trying to sue bertuzzi and orca bay (owners of gm place) over what happened almost 2 years ago. Gimme a rbeak, I'm getting really sick of hearing about this. Just because you come from a family of doctors and lawyers doesn't mean you have to be a millionare, even at the price of other people.

I don't want to get into the whole incident again, but jeez this is exactly the problem, Moore won't let it go already :cry: !

mazzinov

Jan 8, 2006
Ottawa, Ontario
I agree that maybe he should let it go, but what would you do if someone took away your dream? If he is healthy enough to play hockey, then he should drop the suit and focus his efforts to get back into the NHL, and not on legal matters. But the guy is a Harvard grad, he's probably smart enough to get a good paying job. He won;t make the same he might make in the NHL, but at least he would finally put it all behind him.

mmbt

Cheeky Monkey
Feb 27, 2002
California
Visit site
ultimate1 said:
I agree that maybe he should let it go, but what would you do if someone took away your dream? If he is healthy enough to play hockey, then he should drop the suit and focus his efforts to get back into the NHL, and not on legal matters. But the guy is a Harvard grad, he's probably smart enough to get a good paying job. He won;t make the same he might make in the NHL, but at least he would finally put it all behind him.

Not sure I understand ... because he's probably got options, his dream job should mean less and thus he should be more willing to let it go? I don't think that's how it works. Just because you're a Harvard grad as opposed to someone from juniors doesn't make playing in the NHL any less meaningful to you.

Captain Pilsner

Sep 1, 2005
yeah, i understand why he would want to get repairations, but he wasn't alexei yashin here. doesn't he get insurance anyways??? besides it couldn't hurt being from a loaded family and i'm pretty sure he has a law degree himself, so it's not like he has no other forms of income.

I guess I'm jsut so peeved about it because he does this the first day that canada plays in the olympics, talk about being a ***-hole!

edit: yeah it still is his "dream", but he was a questionable 4th liner and who knows if he would even be playing this season or the next one anyways, but this is a matter of opinon. also, although it was tuzzi who started it, I think it was the doggy pile that formed directly ontop of him after that had mroe to do with the kneck than the actual punch (this again is a matter of opinion, and also a dead horse!)

mazzinov

Jan 8, 2006
Ottawa, Ontario
mmbt said:
Not sure I understand ... because he's probably got options, his dream job should mean less and thus he should be more willing to let it go? I don't think that's how it works. Just because you're a Harvard grad as opposed to someone from juniors doesn't make playing in the NHL any less meaningful to you.

I don't mean he should give up playing in the NHL, I guess I should have been more clear. I just mean Moore should, instead of trying lawsuit after lawsuit, should focus his energy on getting healthy to try to get back into the NHL. The Harvard grad was more about he would have something to fall back on, not as a means to just give up on the NHL.

blueandgold*

Smytty Heart said:
I'm watching the russia vs. slovakia game and at the beginning of the 1st intermission, rod mclean reports that steve moore and family are again trying to sue bertuzzi and orca bay (owners of gm place) over what happened almost 2 years ago. Gimme a rbeak, I'm getting really sick of hearing about this. Just because you come from a family of doctors and lawyers doesn't mean you have to be a millionare, even at the price of other people.

I don't want to get into the whole incident again, but jeez this is exactly the problem, Moore won't let it go already :cry: !

So if a guy at your job didn't like you, or something you did so he came up behind you and assulted you resulting in a serious neck injury making it impossible for you to live a full life doing whatever you wanted you'ed "let it go"

Bertuzzi is a goon, a thug...he should be in jail.

mr gib

Sep 19, 2004
vancouver
www.bigtopkarma.com
blueandgold said:
So if a guy at your job didn't like you, or something you did so he came up behind you and assulted you resulting in a serious neck injury making it impossible for you to live a full life doing whatever you wanted you'ed "let it go"

bert had his day in court - pleaded guitly and got a conditional sentence - you wouldn't have gone to jail either if you had punched me - the court ruled -

Captain Pilsner

Sep 1, 2005
blueandgold said:

wellllllll i'd let it go after already trying, and i'd let it go if i got compensated by insurance. if i had beef i'd rather try to fight him then make everyone elses (old teammates, fellow canadian hockey players) life harder, even if he was bigger and woudl kick my ***. like waht is he trying to do with the timing of this? you know this isn't going to be the end of it either.

if you think ebrtuzzi should be in jail for what he did, so should about 50 other athletes, it's a physical and aggressive career. it may sound like i'm condoning what bertuzzi did, I actually think it was bad, but I think that it has been sorted out and dealt with, time to move on.

Northern Dancer

The future ain't what it used to be.
Mar 2, 2002
5 K from the ACC
ultimate1 said:

He is trying to ride the gravy train, he had very little future in the NHL, a very marginal player. He shud let it go !!!

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
He hasn't been cleared by the doctors to resume his NHL career.

Show me a link that states he has been cleared to do so.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
There is a much longer and more detailed thread on this over on the NHL Talk Board:

http://69.61.39.163/showthread.php?t=222565

But to answer the question of why now:

JV said:
As for the timing, how about this: the incident occurred on March 8 2004. The limitation period for civil actions for assault was reduced from 4 years to 2 years with the new Limitations Act. So, Moore's claim against Bert would be statute-barred after March 8, 2006....

BCCHL inactive

blueandgold said:

Worse things happen on the streets that don't net jail time. Don't be ignorant. Dany Heatley committed a felony in the State of Georgia that cost a man his life. Is he in jail?

I'm not going to suggest that Steve Moore doesn't have a right to sue. He does...in British Columbia, where it happened. He does not deserve $15M because there is no way he makes that in a 10-year NHL career, especially under today's CBA. His parents deserve nothing, plain and simple. As for who Moore is suing, I am at a loss as to why Brad May wasn't included. He put the bounty on Moore's head. Every player (Vancouver and Colorado) who jumped onto that pile after Bertuzzi punched Moore should also be included in some way as they are all partly responsible for the extent of Moore's injuries, as it cannot be proven that Bertuzzi actually broke Moore's neck.

If I'm an Ontario judge, this case lasts 30 seconds as I tell him to go file in British Columbia.

If I'm a BC judge, I give Moore $3.5M for potential losses in a 7 year-career (average NHL career length at $500,000 per season), providing a completely neutral doctor orders him, based on his medical opinion, to retire from the NHL due to the injuries suffered in the incident. He doesn't see a cent until retirement papers are filed, and if he makes a comeback, he owes the awarded money back. Moore's parents get nothing.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
BrindA17 said:
Moore deserves everything he's asking for. blueandgold is dead-on.

Not really. Steve Moore would've only earned $15 million if he played in the NHL for 30 years after the incident(his NHL career hasn't been deemed to be over yet, either), he does not deserve that much. Maybe he deserves some compensation for his losses, especially if he is forced to retire, but nowhere near the amount he wants.

And why do his parents want $1.5 million?

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
Van said:
I'm not going to suggest that Steve Moore doesn't have a right to sue. He does...in British Columbia, where it happened. He does not deserve $15M because there is no way he makes that in a 10-year NHL career, especially under today's CBA. His parents deserve nothing, plain and simple. As for who Moore is suing, I am at a loss as to why Brad May wasn't included. He put the bounty on Moore's head. Every player (Vancouver and Colorado) who jumped onto that pile after Bertuzzi punched Moore should also be included in some way as they are all partly responsible for the extent of Moore's injuries, as it cannot be proven that Bertuzzi actually broke Moore's neck.

If I'm an Ontario judge, this case lasts 30 seconds as I tell him to go file in British Columbia.

If I'm a BC judge, I give Moore $3.5M for potential losses in a 7 year-career (average NHL career length at $500,000 per season), providing a completely neutral doctor orders him, based on his medical opinion, to retire from the NHL due to the injuries suffered in the incident. He doesn't see a cent until retirement papers are filed, and if he makes a comeback, he owes the awarded money back. Moore's parents get nothing.

Well, if you read the other length (now closed) thread on the NHL Talk board, you will find out that (according to posters who are Canadian attorneys) Ontario is a perfectly valid and legal venue for Civil action, since both Moore and Bertuzzi have Ontario residences.

Also, if Moore want's to argue conspiracy, he has to go back to the original Naslund hit, which was Feb 16, 2004. The two year statute of limitations from that point expires tomorrow - hence the timing yesterdays filings.

BCCHL inactive

MooseHunter said:
^Heatley case is completely different... The Synders opted not to press charges against Heatley

So what? The State of Georgia still did. Heatley's parents not filing charges themselves does not change the fact that Heatley is a free man despite being legally responsible for Dan Snyder's death.

kdb209 said:
Well, if you read the other length (now closed) thread on the NHL Talk board, you will find out that (according to posters who are Canadian attorneys) Ontario is a perfectly valid and legal venue for Civil action, since both Moore and Bertuzzi have Ontario residences.

Moore's filing in Colorado was legal too, but the judge there still threw the case out because it happened in British Columbia.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Van said:
So what? The State of Georgia still did. Heatley's parents not filing charges themselves does not change the fact that Heatley is a free man despite being legally responsible for Dan Snyder's death.

The incidents are different because of intent. Heatly was reckless but the intent of his actions were not intended to cause physical harm to Snyder. Bertuzzi had every intention of causing physical harm to Moore. He probably didn't intend to potentially end his career but it happened. As for the charge that Moore should give up. Why? he hasn't had his day in civil court. The Colorado judge through out the case based on juristiction not merit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad