Give Fasth a chance?

Jul 1, 2012
Fasth is on fire. He should get the start against Avs

Last edited:

Hedning

A New Beginning
Apr 26, 2012
Fasth's weakness when he was playing in Sweden and my team was that he sometimes played to low and therefore was vulnerable upstairs. Problem with rebound control not so much, but in NHL there's a lot more traffic in front of the net, than in the Swedish Elite League.

Anyway, i think Viktor has looked solid in these 3 games and hope he keeps it up.

Congrats to a great start of the season btw.

Lord Flashheart

Squadron Commander
Jul 21, 2011
Leipzig/Zg
Consistent - yes. Elite - no? That makes him mediocre. I was just judging by his play in previous matches, and he is no where near being elite.

And yes, I exaggerated about Gustavsson. He can do some very good saves - BUT, he's soft mentally, just like Luongo. They go god mode sometimes, but then totally collapse when pucks are starting to find their way in.
Please stop embarrassing yourself.

duxfan8

Sep 13, 2011
South Bay
Please stop embarrassing yourself.

If you're saying Hiller is an elite goalie, you are mistaken. I'm not calling you out for it, because I don't know what your stance is, but for those fans that think Hiller is a GREAT goalie and should be an all star every year, they are wrong. He is a goalie that can steal a game here or there, but he lacks concentration and he just looks out of it sometimes. Like the easy 5 hole goal, or the puck that rolled up his blocker (and he wasn't squeezing the post on that one). He has made some easy mistakes to capitalize on.
Fasth gave up one easy 5 hole goal against Minny, but he hasn't given up any really bad goals besides that. Hiller is not the goalie he was before the Carolina All-Star game, and he might not ever be again. Fasth might end up being really good, but I doubt he is going to be elite. Plus, we all have to remember we only need a starter for a couple of seasons until Gibson is ready (if all stays on track). All I am saying is Hiller needs to stand up and defend his number 1 spot, or Fasth will take it from him.

Mwd711

Jan 20, 2006
Viktor has earned the time. I don't think he came over to just play a few games. I'm sure his goal was to battle for the number 1 job and he's doing it. I consider that a good thing. Its the first time in awhile, the Ducks starter is being pushed.

Back when Bryzgalov pushed Giggy, the team had a ton of success. I don't get these comments that Giguere didn't have competition when he was the number one. If he didn't, what was Bryz? Bryz played a ton of playoff games, especially in 2006, becoming the de-facto starter. Later, Hiller did the same and ended up taking over as Giggy faltered. Having two capable goalies is a strength. I don't see how anyone can call it a bad thing that Fasth is getting starts and playing well.

GLM

Aug 2, 2005
pens fan looking for advice.

got screwed on goalies in fantasy. picked 2over all and the run came and all top goalies were gone. got MAF (over bryz kippersoff types) and have kipper as my other goalie. since the season started i have picked up vokoun since kipp and calgary are AWFUL!

is it worth picking up Fasth? you guys think he is the real deal?

enjoy seeing your squad and coach beaudreau play so well to start the season. even tho he was the caps coach, the guy is hilarious. good luck coach beaudreau and ducks!

any advice is appreciated.

take care

Jonimaus

Jul 15, 2011
Lund

got screwed on goalies in fantasy. picked 2over all and the run came and all top goalies were gone. got MAF (over bryz kippersoff types) and have kipper as my other goalie. since the season started i have picked up vokoun since kipp and calgary are AWFUL!

enjoy seeing your squad and coach beaudreau play so well to start the season. even tho he was the caps coach, the guy is hilarious. good luck coach beaudreau and ducks!

take care

Fasth is definitely the real deal. He's solid, and has been for several years now.

Last edited:

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
Well, I don't think his performances were flukey, so in that sense, I would say that he's a pretty real deal. That said, from a pure fantasy point-of-view, Fasth is certainly still a big gamble. While I think that as a goalie, he's a pretty real deal, his fantasy numbers won't be sustainable, and the number of games given to him will still heavily depend on what Hiller is doing. I think there is a small chance you'll get more quantity (wins, saves if that exists) out of him than out of Fleury down the road, if you're thinking about that swap. I wouldn't put my money on Fasth being a home-run swing in terms of fantasy value, because that would require him to play more than I'd expect him to.

So when do we trade Hiller and extend Fasth?
Well, most importantly :)sarcasm:), we'll do the second before we entertain doing the first. And then, almost as importantly, we just won't do the first for quite a while. :)

GLM

Aug 2, 2005
Well, I don't think his performances were flukey, so in that sense, I would say that he's a pretty real deal. That said, from a pure fantasy point-of-view, Fasth is certainly still a big gamble. While I think that as a goalie, he's a pretty real deal, his fantasy numbers won't be sustainable, and the number of games given to him will still heavily depend on what Hiller is doing. I think there is a small chance you'll get more quantity (wins, saves if that exists) out of him than out of Fleury down the road, if you're thinking about that swap. I wouldn't put my money on Fasth being a home-run swing in terms of fantasy value, because that would require him to play more than I'd expect him to.

Well, most importantly :)sarcasm:), we'll do the second before we entertain doing the first. And then, almost as importantly, we just won't do the first for quite a while. :)

thanks everyone.

see my prob is kipper stinx so this week i played both vokoun and maf to get all the starts since byslma is basically playing 50/50 on the goalie rotation.

i figured dropping ryder has 4 g 0 a it was worth the gamble to stash him on the bench since ryder hadnt cracked my starting RWs spot.

again thanks for the help.

go ducks/pens

duxfever

Mar 29, 2009
Orange, CA
One of the big differences I have found in this year's team is the competition within the team. You've got players like Etem, Palmieri, Rakell, DSP, Bonino, Beleskey, Vatanen, and Sbisa (to an extent) that need to perform otherwise they will be replaced. I think that has been a big reason for our success. Guys are not complacent like they have been in years past and that has rubbed off on everyone.

I think the tender situation should be the same way. Competition is never a bad thing and the guy with the hot hand should be playing, which should piss the other guy off and make him want to improve next time out. Hiller will definitely get his chances with 6 games in the next 12 days, but for now, play the guy that is performing.

Play Fasth and tell Hiller, play better or enjoy the bench.

bumperkisser

Mar 31, 2009
Fasth's weakness when he was playing in Sweden and my team was that he sometimes played to low and therefore was vulnerable upstairs. Problem with rebound control not so much, but in NHL there's a lot more traffic in front of the net, than in the Swedish Elite League.

Anyway, i think Viktor has looked solid in these 3 games and hope he keeps it up.

Congrats to a great start of the season btw.

i noticed this a lot yesterday. he plays quite deep in his net and its suprising that he plays that way since he's such a small guy.
hes got good lateral mobility so I dont understand why he'd play so deep in his net.
Yesterday in the 3rd when vlasic was goign down the slot and shot it into fasth's chest, fasth was practically on the goal line. Same with marleau's backhand chance, he's basically on the goal line and its just lucky that marleau shot it into fasth's glove

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
i noticed this a lot yesterday. he plays quite deep in his net and its suprising that he plays that way since he's such a small guy.
hes got good lateral mobility so I dont understand why he'd play so deep in his net.
Yesterday in the 3rd when vlasic was goign down the slot and shot it into fasth's chest, fasth was practically on the goal line. Same with marleau's backhand chance, he's basically on the goal line and its just lucky that marleau shot it into fasth's glove

That kind of aggressiveness (or its lack of it) can come down to a few things. Most often, it's confidence related. When you're not entirely comfortable, you tend to unconsciously back up a little. Or when you respect the opposing team's skill a bit too much in order to give yourself the better chance to react to a passing play. Or when your teams' defense isn't playing well, and you feel you might have to cover for the guy that's supposed to take away the passing line, as well. (The latter I don't think would be the case here, as he's gotten good support.) Lastly, and which I think could make sense for him in his current situation, you're feeling a little more comfortable about your angles. He has just played on the small ice surface for a month now and probably doesn't feel he's got them locked in like he'll at some point.

It might be one or a few of these things, and maybe he just decides to do so instinctively at times. Given his past success, I'm inclined to believe that it's not a huge problem. Another guy that I think does have that tendency is no other than Henrik Lundqvist.

TheFlyingV

Anatidaephobia
Apr 5, 2009
Yorba Linda, CA

take care

I'd wait a while for players "to get the book" on Fasth before dropping a established player.

Hedning

A New Beginning
Apr 26, 2012

Yeah, it's true that he also plays rather deep in the net. But i meant low as in not in such an upright; stance, position, or whatever you would call it.

Oct 18, 2011
If we're going anywhere we have to get Hiller going, when at his best he's a difference maker in goal. It's great to have a veteran like Fasth though, because the moment isn't to big for him either, Hiller is letting in WAY to many soft goals

WYFR

StanleyCupSabres
Nov 3, 2011
North Carolina
so for fantasy advice, how many games do you guys see your boy fasth starting? considering dropping hiller for him...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad