Waived: Givani Smith waived

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Are we talking about how easily replaced these guys are, or what their future value is? Because when it comes to how easily they are to replace, Veleno has gotta be near the top of the list.

I just don't see a lot of upside with Veleno. He's kinda the Lindstrom of the center position. Solid enough, safe, but bottom of the depth chart in terms of what he actually brings. Zadina is probably the winger version of both, but with a higher ceiling.

Ras and Hronek are the most difficult to replace, given the former's skillset and the latter's role.

Maybe a combination of both.

Lindstrom is easily the lowest value for me. He's an offensive black hole who isn't a total liability defensively. A perfectly mediocre 7th defenseman. Dime a dozen player.
Rasmussen got hot near the end of the season to produce at about an average 4th line rate. I think he could at best be a perfectly average 3rd liner. Dime a dozen player. If he were 6'2" instead of 6'6" he would have been in the minors.
Zadina is 10 ply with poor offensive instincts for an offensive winger. His shot still can't find the back of the net, he's allergic to any contact (maybe he fears he'll get the Hossa sickness). A guy like Sonny Milano would have been an upgrade.
Hronek...ugh...don't make me say it.

Veleno now can probably be easily replaced by some random plug 4th liner but like I said, I still think there's more to him. I don't think 2nd line C is in the cards anymore but Veleno could become that solid 3rd line center if he starts to play like he did his final year of junior and at the 2020 WJC. Confidence is the key issue here.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
This doesn't surprise me all that much. In fact, I sort of figured he'd be on waivers today. Ah, well.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Sure, Joey (at current level of development) is easily replaceable, but you're not gonna get much better player at his salary level. Plus Joey still has room to develop.

In the cap era, every team needs cheap solid bottom 6 players. I hope he becomes something more, but even if he doesn't there's a spot for him as 4C.
Well that's a different discussion, I'm not advocating to get rid of him. I just wouldn't say he's more irreplaceable than Rasmussen or Hronek.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Maybe a combination of both.

Lindstrom is easily the lowest value for me. He's an offensive black hole who isn't a total liability defensively. A perfectly mediocre 7th defenseman. Dime a dozen player.
Rasmussen got hot near the end of the season to produce at about an average 4th line rate. I think he could at best be a perfectly average 3rd liner. Dime a dozen player. If he were 6'2" instead of 6'6" he would have been in the minors.
Zadina is 10 ply with poor offensive instincts for an offensive winger. His shot still can't find the back of the net, he's allergic to any contact (maybe he fears he'll get the Hossa sickness). A guy like Sonny Milano would have been an upgrade.
Hronek...ugh...don't make me say it.

Veleno now can probably be easily replaced by some random plug 4th liner but like I said, I still think there's more to him. I don't think 2nd line C is in the cards anymore but Veleno could become that solid 3rd line center if he starts to play like he did his final year of junior and at the 2020 WJC. Confidence is the key issue here.
I don't love any of the players we're discussing, but the way you describe the rest, you should have a lot more negative things to say about Veleno lol. Just seems odd to call Ras's most recent play as '4th-line level' and describing him as 'dime a dozen,' and then talking about Veleno's unrealized potential and value :dunno:

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
If you claim a player, he must be on your NHL roster.

This isn't true. You can send him down to the AHL right away, with the only caveat being you have to place him on waivers again, and the original team can just reclaim him and send him straight to the minors. Other teams can claim this player as well if the original team chooses not to. This is a reason why you see very few waiver claims this time of year, eventhough there are over 200-250 players on waivers at this time of year. Every team has 5-10 bubble players that are basically the same as any other teams bubble players.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Huh? He won most of his fights. Does a fighter need to KO someone for you to think he won?
Idk about that, often it looked like a draw or a slight loss, imo. He was tough and strong, and if he had better balance, he'd have won more fights. He did fight some tough dudes. What he was and was known for was a guy that'd stand-up to anyone and was strong/tough enough to hurt just about anyone. He wasn't the baddest dude, but he made someone accountable and wasn't a push over. Team-mates love a guy like that. ( At least I always did. ) I was a smaller player/guy. My coach(s) would ask every now and again, what's up with number blah, and in a few shifts certain players would deal with it and I never had to really ask.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad