Waived: Givani Smith waived

StargateSG1

Nov 26, 2016
Hopefully they aren't waiting for tomorrow's deadline to announce the final roster.

haulinbass

Mar 6, 2014
Wasn't long ago people were pretty high on this kid being some talented grit. Then reality strikes and everyone is cheering for this very moment.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
As expected. Highly doubtful he gets claimed. Hopefully is a big help in GR, mauling anyone who gets a little fresh with Cossa :naughty:

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
Will be interesting if Olkinuora gets claimed. Maybe that's why Yzerman pushed Cossa to GR.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Wasn't long ago people were pretty high on this kid being some talented grit. Then reality strikes and everyone is cheering for this very moment.
Well the team has really sucked the past few years and Smith can at least punch. He was more useful than a whole bunch of players that actually got ice time.

Now that Stevie picked up some NHL players in free agency, Smith gets cut because he's not an NHL player. It would have been much more preferable if he had developed more, but he didn't.

I mean the same goes for Zadina, as much as I rag on him I'd rather see him succeed because it makes the team better. I don't think anyone is really cheering right now, we're just acknowledging that this is the right move. Plus he can protect the prospects in GR so I hope he doesn;t get claimed.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
Whom do we have left from those disastrous pre-Yzerman drafts in the 2010's?
Outside Bert and Larkin, I am counting Hronek, Ras, Veleno and Zadina?
And Lindstrom.

That's all of them I think.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Whom do we have left from those disastrous pre-Yzerman drafts in the 2010's?
Outside Bert and Larkin, I am counting Hronek, Ras, Veleno and Zadina?

The four I could see being easily replaced in the near future are Zadina, Rasmussen, Lindstrom and (hopefully) Hronek.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020

I think there's still hope for Veleno. He's decently skilled and a better skater than any of the other 4. I think his problem is more confidence than talent or IQ. A new coach and better linemates (even from the 3rd or 4th line) should help that a bit.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
I think there's still hope for Veleno. He's decently skilled and a better skater than any of the other 4. I think his problem is more confidence than talent or IQ. A new coach and better linemates (even from the 3rd or 4th line) should help that a bit.
Are we talking about how easily replaced these guys are, or what their future value is? Because when it comes to how easily they are to replace, Veleno has gotta be near the top of the list.

I just don't see a lot of upside with Veleno. He's kinda the Lindstrom of the center position. Solid enough, safe, but bottom of the depth chart in terms of what he actually brings. Zadina is probably the winger version of both, but with a higher ceiling.

Ras and Hronek are the most difficult to replace, given the former's skillset and the latter's role.

Reactions: Winger98

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Are we talking about how easily replaced these guys are, or what their future value is? Because when it comes to how easily they are to replace, Veleno has gotta be near the top of the list.

I just don't see a lot of upside with Veleno. He's kinda the Lindstrom of the center position. Solid enough, safe, but bottom of the depth chart in terms of what he actually brings. Zadina is probably the winger version of both, but with a higher ceiling.
Sure, Joey (at current level of development) is easily replaceable, but you're not gonna get much better player at his salary level. Plus Joey still has room to develop.

In the cap era, every team needs cheap solid bottom 6 players. I hope he becomes something more, but even if he doesn't there's a spot for him as 4C.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad