Value of: (Girard) Avs prepare for the expansion draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Pierre Lebrun even put out an expansion draft article which said the expectation is that Erik Johnson will waive. I know everybody wants Colorado to be handcuffed but it doesn’t appear that that will be the case.

PowerMac

Dec 20, 2019
I didn't know a midget defensmen with a shot worse than Kerfoot was worth so much. Girard for Zegras anybody? Usually on these boards smaller players (defensemen especially) always get knocked for their lack of size but somehow Girard is able to escape this common critique, and it's not like he makes up for it with his stick work like a Spurgeon (he's got ridiculously slow reflexes for a little guy, watch the difference between him and makar when they poke with their sticks) or is freakishly strong and wins 1 on 1 battles (he doesn't, he loses almost all of them front of the net, along the boards you name it). He doesn't even have really good gap control because every time the opposition gets a puck on the rush he allows them to have a free entry. I've been paying close attention to Timmins and he's already far superior to Girard in this regard, he attacks the puck carrier every time and forces them to dump in despite his lack of skating yet Girard is always backing off and giving the guy in front of him 5 feet of open ice to shoot. My fellow avs fans have called me out but given their history of vocal opinions (Fire Sakic, trade Mackinnon, draft Jones, Draft Crouse, Draft Bleackley, Jost sucks, Timmins sucks, Nichushkin shouldn't play over Colin Wilson etc...), I feel pretty confident about my own stance on this topic and will trust my own eyes.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
I didn't know a midget defensmen with a shot worse than Kerfoot was worth so much. Girard for Zegras anybody? Usually on these boards smaller players (defensemen especially) always get knocked for their lack of size but somehow Girard is able to escape this common critique, and it's not like he makes up for it with his stick work like a Spurgeon (he's got ridiculously slow reflexes for a little guy, watch the difference between him and makar when they poke with their sticks) or is freakishly strong and wins 1 on 1 battles (he doesn't, he loses almost all of them front of the net, along the boards you name it). He doesn't even have really good gap control because every time the opposition gets a puck on the rush he allows them to have a free entry. I've been paying close attention to Timmins and he's already far superior to Girard in this regard, he attacks the puck carrier every time and forces them to dump in despite his lack of skating yet Girard is always backing off and giving the guy in front of him 5 feet of open ice to shoot. My fellow avs fans have called me out but given their history of vocal opinions (Fire Sakic, trade Mackinnon, draft Jones, Draft Crouse, Draft Bleackley, Jost sucks, Timmins sucks, Nichushkin shouldn't play over Colin Wilson etc...), I feel pretty confident about my own stance on this topic and will trust my own eyes.

Hilarious..
Girard actually is amazing with his stick like Spurgeon. Probably his best comparison defensively...He is also among the best Ds in the league when it comes to transition defense and moving the puck out of our zone.

I think there is a guy on hfboards that absolutely hates Landeskog for very weird reasons and rarely misses a chance to blame him for everything. Seems like you are his odd equivalent in regards to Girard...

Oh and the only thing from the crap takes above you mention that apply to me is Fire Sakic. And I still think that he would have deserved it just based on the performance he showed when he was paired with Roy. Luckily Roy walked away and Sakic did a 180 and became one hell of a GM...
So yeah. Pretty sure your take on Girard will go probably down in history as well as the Draft Crouse brigade or the trade Mackinnon stupidity...

Last edited:

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
You do not think he can average 2M each year over two years if he is bought out? Another reasons to prefer buyout - you can choose your team. Might be a factor for family reasons, or if he wants a chance at the Cup.

Another wrinkle is - can you buy out an injured player?

Not saying he won't waive, but the situation here doesn't appear to be a slam dunk.
It’s a slam dunk. And no, I don’t. I don’t think any team in the NHL signs a guy that has an injury history like he does to a deal with more term than one year. Would you?

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
There is no chance I’d trade Girard for Zegras.

PowerMac

Dec 20, 2019
Hilarious..
Girard actually is amazing with his stick like Spurgeon. Probably his best comparison defensively...He is also among the best Ds in the league when it comes to transition defense and moving the puck out of our zone.

He's really not, in order to be able to poke the puck away you need to have actual fast twitch reflexes and good hand eye both of which Girard lacks. Here's a clip of him looking at the guy making a cross ice pass but can't even track the puck with nobody around him. Hits him in the feet, if he had good reflexes and hand eye he'd be able to pick it out easily like Mackinnon or Makar would but nope not even close. Puck gets away from him and he allows the player to go right by him for a premiere scoring chance.

Here's a clip of Girard allowing another easy zone entry cause he tries to pick off the pass but it goes right by him, then he tries to poke check but not even close with that midget stick (why does he even play with it? it's not like he ever dangles anybody all he does is skate wide) and gives up a great wrap around opportunity. Then the puck fortuitously bounces right to the front of his stick and he still couldn't pick it up and allows the opposition to straight grab it and maintain possession for their team in the offensive zone.

And I still think that he would have deserved it just based on the performance he showed when he was paired with Roy.

He really didn't, it was well known that it wasn't Sakic making those moves and Roy was the one pushing for those bad trades for vets that were good when he was in still in the league in order to win now. You guys all wanted to trade Duchene and even Landeskog for some utter garbage packages like Ryan Murray and a 1st or Brandon Carlo (Gotta get the Colorado kid!). Without Sakic you wouldn't have ever gotten your precious Girard in the first place.

So yeah. Pretty sure your take on Girard will go probably down in history as well as the Draft Crouse brigade or the trade Mackinnon stupidity...

I thought those takes were silly though, and I doubt it cause Mackinnon>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>your precious Girard (I don't even feel the teams lacks anything when he's out of the lineup unlike Mack, Timmins does a much better job of providing offense from blue line better than whatever the f*** Girard does there

) and Rantanen too although reading the comments here some people actually think Girard is more valuable and important to the team than him :laugh:. Truly mind boggling.

Last edited:

returnofthemack29

Feb 20, 2015

He's really not, in order to be able to poke the puck away you need to have actual fast twitch reflexes and good hand eye both of which Girard lacks. Here's a clip of him looking at the guy making a cross ice pass but can't even track the puck with nobody around him. Hits him in the feet, if he had good reflexes and hand eye he'd be able to pick it out easily like Mackinnon or Makar would but nope not even close. Puck gets away from him and he allows the player to go right by him for a premiere scoring chance.

Here's a clip of Girard allowing another easy zone entry cause he tries to pick off the pass but it goes right by him, then he tries to poke check but not even close with that midget stick (why does he even play with it? it's not like he ever dangles anybody all he does is skate wide) and gives up a great wrap around opportunity. Then the puck fortuitously bounces right to the front of his stick and he still couldn't pick it up and allows the opposition to straight grab it and maintain possession for their team in the offensive zone.

He really didn't, it was well known that it wasn't Sakic making those moves and Roy was the one pushing for those bad trades for vets that were good when he was in still in the league in order to win now. You guys all wanted to trade Duchene and even Landeskog for some utter garbage packages like Ryan Murray and a 1st or Brandon Carlo (Gotta get the Colorado kid!). Without Sakic you wouldn't have ever gotten your precious Girard in the first place.

I thought those takes were silly though, and I doubt it cause Mackinnon>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>your precious Girard (I don't even feel the teams lacks anything when he's out of the lineup unlike Mack, Timmins does a much better job of providing offense from blue line better than whatever the f*** Girard does there) and Rantanen too although reading the comments here some people actually think Girard is more valuable and important to the team than him :laugh:. Truly mind boggling.

tenor.gif

strictlyrandy

Sep 9, 2013
Colorado
I think Girard turned down that dude for a date. Cus a couple one offs aren’t indicative of Girard as a whole or even accurate with context. There’s a reason the Avs defense suffers without Girard. There’s a reason the numbers disagree with that eye test that poster claims to trust. Some people just have to have a whipping boy I guess. Weird that they chose Girard.

PowerMac

Dec 20, 2019
No arguments? I'll take as a concession then. Most overrated player on the team, frighteningly so. I only go after him because people keep shilling defensemen kerfoot like he's just as good as Makar.

It annoys me that people will nitpick our other players for things and even blame them for Girard's own shortcomings like in that OT game against the Kings last season. People were all over Jost for not driving the net hard enough despite the circumstances of him being on the ice for almost 2 minutes. Nobody mentions the nice play he made to spring Girard for the breakaway. Nobody mentions Girard shooting the puck right into the goalie's chest. Nobody mentions Girard's lack of hockey iq backing off his man on the rush despite their only being 3 seconds left and allowing him a clean shot. Avs lost the game and all the blame went to Jost while Girard barely gets any flack if at all when he was the one most responsible.

Last edited:

josra33

Aug 11, 2008
I don't know how attached Sakic is to Girard (I know a lot of people in the fanbase think he's Makar's equal something, obviously my opinion has differed as I don't view him critical to the team's success), but the avs already have Byram and Toews on the left side and if they trade him they can go easily go 7-3-1 for the draft. So they might as well sell high on him right now. The avs don't have a lot of needs other than 2C, but that may solve itself with Newhook flashing recently. So I'm curious to see if other fans around the league think as highly of him as much as some on the avs board.
Someone didn’t watch any of the games while Makar was out.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
Why can’t they protect 4D? I would rather lose a forward than start trading away their D from what I can see, maybe I’m missing something

Reactions: Reparlana

coopooter

Sep 28, 2017
Let’s say you can’t protect Girard for some idiotic reason.
You would still trade him for a kings ransom instead of letting him get picked
I’m sure a team like Winnipeg would happily trade some protectable assets for him

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
Let’s say you can’t protect Girard for some idiotic reason.
You would still trade him for a kings ransom instead of letting him get picked
I’m sure a team like Winnipeg would happily trade some protectable assets for him
Not the stuff you want

Pual Statsny

Overpaid, overrated
Jul 22, 2010
Awesometown
is this a joke

PowerMac

Dec 20, 2019
Do you take McDavid for Girard straight up? What if the Oilers add...
Highway robbery for the oilers, instant cup favorites. Avs fans don't even think about it. Have you seen Girard spin? Mcdavid can't do that. Generational spinner>>>Generational Center

He is also among the best Ds in the league when it comes to transition defense and moving the puck out of our zone.

Did somebody say free zone entry and easy passing lane?

By moving the puck out of our zone did you mean the offensive zone?

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Highway robbery for the oilers, instant cup favorites. Avs fans don't even think about it. Have you seen Girard spin? Mcdavid can't do that. Generational spinner>>>Generational Center

Did somebody say free zone entry and easy passing lane?

By moving the puck out of our zone did you mean the offensive zone?

Does this video prove that McDavid sucks, or is it possible that even the best players aren't perfect?

PowerMac

Dec 20, 2019
That's more of a case of careless handling of the puck by a great player, Makar does it too sometimes. I posted those clips to show Girard's lack of reflexes and hand eye which is what I was arguing for. Do I need to make a compilation of Girard clips or something? You'll see that this happens all the time more often than not. Remember Girard is the only player who got walked by washed up Corey Perry NOT just once but TWICE, so not really a one time thing like you're insinuating here.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
It really isn't. Why would the Avs move G for two guys who have proven nothing in the NHL? Seems silly to me.
Gs size is nowhere near the same issue than Caufields. He has already proven that he can be very effective time and time again defensively.

Romanov is just not a need at all in Colorado. So I don't even understand why he would be in a deal...
Sure he would be nice to have on the third pairing and might even help us on the PK but not if we lose our 3rd most valuable asset in the process...

Let Montreal keep their young goalscoring talent. Avs don't need him nearly as much as they do. And certainly not if it costs us Girard.

Caufield and Romanov both healthy scratches in game 1. Well..? I just got served?

but that’s not the funny part. They are both rookies. Caufield was dominating college hockey 2 months ago. Romanov is just 21.

KK is also a healthy scratch. That guy is an el busto 5th line C taken 3rd overall ahead of several better players.

JT compher>KK. Lol.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
That's more of a case of careless handling of the puck by a great player, Makar does it too sometimes. I posted those clips to show Girard's lack of reflexes and hand eye which is what I was arguing for. Do I need to make a compilation of Girard clips or something? You'll see that this happens all the time more often than not. Remember Girard is the only player who got walked by washed up Corey Perry NOT just once but TWICE, so not really a one time thing like you're insinuating here.

Is a defenseman supposed to stop 100% of passes that come near them in order to be called good? Or should they try to force something in the offensive zone rather than skating the puck out, retaining possession and starting another rush? What exactly do you think these clips prove about "Girard's lack of reflexes and hand eye"?

And, I can find clips of every Norris winning defenseman getting walked by someone. I can also find clips of them getting beaten by a pass on a rush. Does that mean they all also have a "lack of reflexes and hand eye", or does not being perfect only count against Girard for some reason?

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Sakic can give them jost to take johnson. Two birds one stone. Toss in a 2nd if needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad