Value of: Giordano

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
He’s slowed down but the people who are saying he has negative value have NO idea what they’re talking about.
He’s still a very solid defenceman and his cap hit isn’t bad for what he brings, let alone he’s a free agent after next season anyway.

I’m sure if he’s available, MULTIPLE teams would be more than interested in him.

I’d say he’s worth around what L.A got for Muzzin.

I would agree with the Muzzin comparison, except maybe a slightly less return.

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
He wouldn't be claimed off waivers at his cap hit if that answers your question.

With retention he'd have some value.
Lol ya we all know that there is maybe 3 teams with enough cap to claim him and none of them are contenders. We’d just have to take some cap back but don’t act like he’s unmoveable

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
With retention he's movable, without he isn't. I thought I made that pretty clear in my post.
But that’s simply not true lol cause we could just trade him and take a ~4-5 mil guy back. U did make it clear that ur condescending and stubborn tho haha

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
But that’s simply not true lol cause we could just trade him and take a ~4-5 mil guy back. U did make it clear that ur condescending and stubborn tho haha
I'm curious of an example of a 4-5mil guy that you'd take back. He'd have to be significantly worse than Gio to entice a team to take on the extra cap hit, or you'd be adding in some kind of incentive draft pick/prospect for that to happen. Gio at best right now is a middle pairing guy, but not a high end one. That's not great value at his contract.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
I'm curious of an example of a 4-5mil guy that you'd take back. He'd have to be significantly worse than Gio to entice a team to take on the extra cap hit, or you'd be adding in some kind of incentive draft pick/prospect for that to happen. Gio at best right now is a middle pairing guy, but not a high end one. That's not great value at his contract.
Would Jake Gardener be an example?

Reactions: RasmusAndersson

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
Something like Matthieu Perrault and a pick or like Montour if Buffalos not protecting him or like Colin Miller+pick or Gudbranson+pick or Stepan or Victor Rask. Tons of guys that could fit the bill if we decide to commit to the rebuild and just want the picks. Whether we should do that is another question (I think we should fire the coach and give this core one last shot w a legit coach) but value wise definitely short-term cap dumps+picks packages out there

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Something like Matthieu Perrault and a pick or like Montour if Buffalos not protecting him or like Colin Miller+pick or Gudbranson+pick or Stepan or Victor Rask. Tons of guys that could fit the bill if we decide to commit to the rebuild and just want the picks. Whether we should do that is another question (I think we should fire the coach and give this core one last shot w a legit coach) but value wise definitely short-term cap dumps+picks packages out there
So the jets are paying to get rid of Perrault when he’s on his final year and playing well as a bottom 6 guy so we can buy which big rental now?

Mar 14, 2011
I dont get it, the guy had the lowest, 5 vs ,5 GA/60 among Flames Dman last season with 2.05 and is sporting an even lower 1.79 this season, his allowing less than half the goals per 60 minutes of 5 vs 5 ice time comapare to what Valimaki and Nesterov allows, not to mention Gio looks like he can still put up a .5 PPG, why is everyone here so down on him? Is it because his not putting up PPG like numbers?

Note: Gio allowed 2.3, 5 vs 5, GA/60 when he won the Norris trophy, so technically speaking he is allowing fewer 5 vs 5 goals this year and last season than he did when he won the Norris.

Reactions: YP44

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
So the jets are paying to get rid of Perrault when he’s on his final year and playing well as a bottom 6 guy so we can buy which big rental now?
Well, considering you have a great group of forwards and goalie but are playing Derek Forbort 18 mins a night at LD2 and Gio would easily be ur second best LD, ya lol.

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013

Not saying he brings great value and I get he’s regressing but as u can see there still would b tons of interest as long as we take cap back. No retention needed necessarily

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Not saying he brings great value and I get he’s regressing but as u can see there still would b tons of interest as long as we take cap back. No retention needed necessarily
I suppose there's other creative options, but in most of those cases you're down grading and not really adding an asset that makes much sense for competing now or for rebuilding/retooling. I guess in my mind a Gio trade only really makes sense if they need cap space for something in the summer in free agency or if they're admitting they need to rebuild/retool and retention would make the most sense to get value back. Getting other worse middling overpaid players in return seems like a lateral move at best.

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
I suppose there's other creative options, but in most of those cases you're down grading and not really adding an asset that makes much sense for competing now or for rebuilding/retooling. I guess in my mind a Gio trade only really makes sense if they need cap space for something in the summer in free agency or if they're admitting they need to rebuild/retool and retention would make the most sense to get value back. Getting other worse middling overpaid players in return seems like a lateral move at best.
Ya that’s fair lol I definitely think we should retool/rebuild and that’s why I’d consider all options. Especially cause at this point it’s looking like we’re for sure gonna end up exposing him so I’d be very interested in picks and a short term cap dump. Something like a Perrault+2nd if we’re out at the deadline is solid, and I would def consider retaining too if it could get us even more but management is so against it for some reason

Reactions: McFlyingV

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
wow people are saying he had negative value and would not get claimed!

Muzzin deal is a great comp IMO. I live in Calgary but am far from a flames fan, but because of that am usually overly critical of the flames. Even I think he has value.

I think Boston would be a great fit.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
I dont get it, the guy had the lowest, 5 vs ,5 GA/60 among Flames Dman last season with 2.05 and is sporting an even lower 1.79 this season, his allowing less than half the goals per 60 minutes of 5 vs 5 ice time comapare to what Valimaki and Nesterov allows, not to mention Gio looks like he can still put up a .5 PPG, why is everyone here so down on him? Is it because his not putting up PPG like numbers?

Note: Gio allowed 2.3, 5 vs 5, GA/60 when he won the Norris trophy, so technically speaking he is allowing fewer 5 vs 5 goals this year and last season than he did when he won the Norris.

Pretty much this. Ya, he's not going to win a Norris again but I'd say he's still a solid #3 quality. Problem right now is he's still trying to play like he used to which leads to mistakes.

He needs to transition to a more reserved defense first role. I thought he would with playing with Andersson but he's pinching like crazy still. Relax and let Rasmus do that.

That being said he's not going to get a whole lot on the market, 6.75m for a 37 year old is a lot.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Pretty much this. Ya, he's not going to win a Norris again but I'd say he's still a solid #3 quality. Problem right now is he's still trying to play like he used to which leads to mistakes.

He needs to transition to a more reserved defense first role. I thought he would with playing with Andersson but he's pinching like crazy still. Relax and let Rasmus do that.

That being said he's not going to get a whole lot on the market, 6.75m for a 37 year old is a lot.

when he only has one more year on his deal (something that I think adds value for him) what does his age matter. Long term absolutely it does, but I would think he has more value than a rental no? If a team picks up a 30 year old rental only to have him walk away in the summer that is worse IMO.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB

well laid out. the flames problems are not due to Gio's performance IMO. That does not mean I do not think they should at dealing him, I think they should, but the deal has to make sense.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
when he only has one more year on his deal (something that I think adds value for him) what does his age matter. Long term absolutely it does, but I would think he has more value than a rental no? If a team picks up a 30 year old rental only to have him walk away in the summer that is worse IMO.

More so not much teams have the cap space. Like ya I think we could get a 2nd for him. Maybe a late first.

I'd probably keep him for that price though. I don't want to throw Valimaki into the top 4. Stunting his development isn't worth it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad