Giordano to IR. Updated, out with a concussion.

DraftSchmaft

Jul 29, 2021
Hope he’s ok never like to see that injury especially given his age.

From the Leafs POV Gio hasn’t looked good this year and this might spare Keefe from getting in his own way with the defensive pairings.
At the end of the day we have playoff games to win and this post pretty much sums up what most of us are thinking.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
If this is a concussion of the more serious type perhaps he should think about walking away.
If he's near the end anyway, why risk coming back and facing potential long-term damage? Don't mess with the brain.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Not surprising, he went into the boards real hard, would be more surprising if he wasn’t concussed.

IMO when we’re fully healthy, he’s our #8 dman now, so there’s no rush for him to get back. I have our top 10 as:

1. Rielly
2. Brodie
3. McCabe
4. Lily
5. Benoit
6. Timmins (I know some will have him lower)
7. Boosh
8. Gio
9. Lagesson
10. Lajoie

Rest up, get 100%, and be ready to fill in if there are injuries in the playoffs.

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
Didn’t think it looked so bad watching it live last night, but boy he hit hard watching the replay.

All the best to Gio on a full recovery asap, we want him around for the playoffs. If this is his last season, and you have to think it is, let’s get him a good finish. Guy is basically playing for free for us because he loves this team as much as all of us. Full respect.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
It's too bad as he had been playing well since coming back.

Hope he can recover for the playoffs to give us insurance in case we have injury issues on the back end.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Tough time for Gio, say what you will but the man is a warrior and he's had rough past couple of months. I do hope that's not his final game and he's able to come back one more time, would suck to go out like that. Would be kinda Doug Gilmour-esque, though that was worse

Reactions: fahad203

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Not surprising, he went into the boards real hard, would be more surprising if he wasn’t concussed.

IMO when we’re fully healthy, he’s our #8 dman now, so there’s no rush for him to get back. I have our top 10 as:

1. Rielly
2. Brodie
3. McCabe
4. Lily
5. Benoit
6. Timmins (I know some will have him lower)
7. Boosh
8. Gio
9. Lagesson
10. Lajoie

Rest up, get 100%, and be ready to fill in if there are injuries in the playoffs.
When was the last time Timmins played for us?

He is pretty much done in toronto from benoit taking his spot + lub addition

I think we add Walker who is 3rd after Rielly and Brodie and pushes everyone down a spot

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

I think we add Walker who is 3rd after Rielly and Brodie and pushes everyone down a spot
Timmins is out with Mono

Reactions: ponder

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Timmins is out with Mono
Oh true thanks

He seems like the d-man version of Josh Leivo

Promising but flawed player that either gets injured as he is battling to establish himself, or has a bad stretch which hurts his confidence and the coach rides him to the bench

Only has played 16 games out of 59 for us, which sucks as he was supposed to be our 3rd pairing offensive d-man this year

Reactions: ACC1224

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver

He was on LTIR recovering from a significant lower body injury, missed a bunch of time at the start of the season. Then came back, got healthy and played well, then got mono, and has been out since. So … yeah, he hasn’t played much, but not because of his play.

I do think I have him ranked higher than many will, but I like his game. Good skater, good skill, and not bad defensively. Main downside is that he isn’t very physical, but I like what he brings overall.

drede

Jul 13, 2023
Hopefully he's ok he didn't look good when he tried to get off the ice

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
First of all, that crash looked brutal and I wish him the speediest recovery. Straight pro

2nd of all....this lowkey might be a blessing in disguise because Giordano's play has deteriorated for 3 years now and he was a complete liability in the playoffs last year. He kept getting in the lineup due to his name power.

He needs to hang the laces up. Its time

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
First of all, that crash looked brutal and I wish him the speediest recovery. Straight pro

2nd of all....this lowkey might be a blessing in disguise because Giordano's play has deteriorated for 3 years now and he was a complete liability in the playoffs last year. He kept getting in the lineup due to his name power.

He needs to hang the laces up. Its time

Totally agree. He has nothing to prove. He has had a great run
Time to move up the management.

Focus on his health, focus on his family.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Interesting the media isn't even asking about him in the scrums with a Keefe. Must not even be on the radar.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Interesting the media isn't even asking about him in the scrums with a Keefe. Must not even be on the radar.
I think there is a pretty good chance he has played his last NHL game. Nothing about that play looked good.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
We'll Gio seems to be going through the worst streak of bad luck in his entire career.

I was really hoping he'd have a couple of decent years that would have culminated in some real playoff success, and a huge cherry on a real solid career. If anybody deserves that kind of story, Gio would be that guy.

The season isn't over yet, so it could all still happen. It's possible the Leafs could still plug their holes and everything could fall into place.

I do hope that he doesn't have any lasting effects and he has a full recovery and has a bunch of games left in his legs.

MilkofthePoppy

Oct 27, 2022
Been critical of his game since the last playoffs, but man do I feel bad for him. It is important to remember that this is ultimately entertainment. I wish him a speedy recovery and my condolences for the passing of his father.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad