Proposal: Giordano to Florida

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Yes, he's a good defenceman, but I'd rather give up assets for a younger guy not obviously on the decline as he is. Would you give up assets if you we're in The Panthers position for Yandle? I understand they are not the same player, but the return for the player you are getting is the focus here. Surely you see that, not to mention that you have him(Gio) for another year after this, so it's not like he's just a pure rental/ Why would you give up much of ANYTHING for that?

It's a bad proposal from the start, and I see no reason why The Panthers or The Flames would be interested.
Prior to Florida tanking Yandle's value, by not giving him any good minutes, he had lots of value to a team looking to contend. If I was loading up for the playoffs, I would still take Yandle. Playoff teams need lots of depth. This is florida's best chance in many years. You have to give up assets and take risks.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Gio isn't a top pairing D anymore unless his partner is a #1D. He's a middle pair D who is losing his skating ability and getting burned a lot more frequently than in the past. Still useful, but not on a top pair of a playoff team, unless like I mentioned they have a top 10-15D in the league to shelter him.

The deal in the OP makes no sense for Calgary.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Prior to Florida tanking Yandle's value, by not giving him any good minutes, he had lots of value to a team looking to contend. If I was loading up for the playoffs, I would still take Yandle. Playoff teams need lots of depth. This is florida's best chance in many years. You have to give up assets and take risks.
We had a rookie straight out of college playing in his first NHL game, and he played almost 2 minutes (11:22 vs. 09:35) more than Yandle even strength.

There's a reason why Yandle's 5on5 TOI keeps on dropping each passing day, and it's not because he's this amazing player that the Panthers aren't using correctly.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
He’s definitely been poor this season. But he’s been a lot better under Sutter. And for an old guy his mistakes have strangely been mental. He’s still a physical specimen. I think he’s probably worth a second at this point although I’m guessing Calgary would eat salary.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
If the Flames are serious about doing a Rangers style rebuild/retool, I'd think trading Gio should be on the table. Probably for more than Connelly but that's just value. Maybe a good plus or two makes it good

Mase

Cousins.....kind of a c**t
Aug 6, 2010
Holding the blue

It depends on the assets in question. What do you think it would take to get Giordano?

Like I said, Gio is a good defenceman, and I'm sure he could help, but if the assets in question could possibly help you get a better player(Savard, Ekholm, etc), then his cap hit, age, and the fact that he has one more year remaining at 6.75 million(I believe), make it a move I would not make
unless I'm not giving up much to make it. Again, sure he could help, but so could many others if your going to give up assets and take risks.

Mase

Aug 6, 2010
Holding the blue
I can't imagine doing better than this for Connolly.

Unless you're suggesting they should pay the Sens or someone to take him.

I don't imagine doing better than Connolly for Gio straight up, because it wouldn't happen, Gio is worth more, IMO.

Like I said, it's a bad proposal. If Connolly gets moved before the deadline, I can't imagine it would be for anything more than a cap-dump throw-in for a better player package, or something of that nature.

Reactions: ConnorMcNugesaitl

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
If you can talk Yandle to move you can have him too. He never misses a game or a chance to avoid contact

Reactions: Mase

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
I'd like to see Gio the Jets. I'd raise the offer to a bag of pucks, at least the Flames could use those .

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
He’s definitely been poor this season. But he’s been a lot better under Sutter. And for an old guy his mistakes have strangely been mental. He’s still a physical specimen. I think he’s probably worth a second at this point although I’m guessing Calgary would eat salary.

This seems fair. A 2nd or 3rd plus a depth prospect for Gio with some retained. I don’t mind it from FLA side...would be a good add going into playoffs.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
I think you are being realistic with your ask. I thought the Flame’s owner or management has an unwritten rule that they would not retain salary on any deals?

Mase

Aug 6, 2010
Holding the blue
I just don't think it's a good fit especially cause there's two years on his contract. There are guys like Yandle and Stralman who play similar roles for us.

Exactly, the compensation for Gio I can live with(with regards to Noel + 3rd), even though I think Calgary would want more(understandably), but a guy like Stralman would have to be going back the other way, or there would have to be retention by Calgary, to make it work from The Panthers perspective.

I would love to have Gio, but I just don't think it works.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Hard to understand why some flames fans rail against Gio on their own boards and ofc CGY puck. Then here he is a "#2-#3 dman" when in reality is he maybe a #5.

Fans pull this stuff all the time as if ppl won't know. He's closer to #5 caliber at this point than true top 4 and our record this year reflects that.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I think you are being realistic with your ask. I thought the Flame’s owner or management has an unwritten rule that they would not retain salary on any deals?

You are probably right with the retention.

I’ve never understood this line of thinking. Yeah ownership would have to pay a few extra million to get rid of the contract but they save money too by getting money off the books from a bottom line point of view. Murray Edwards what can I say?

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Exactly, the compensation for Gio I can live with(with regards to Noel + 3rd), even though I think Calgary would want more(understandably), but a guy like Stralman would have to be going back the other way, or there would have to be retention by Calgary, to make it work from The Panthers perspective.

I would love to have Gio, but I just don't think it works.
I just don't think it's a good fit especially cause there's two years on his contract. There are guys like Yandle and Stralman who play similar roles for us.
Fair enough.

But I think the Flames would definitely take Stralman back, assuming he doesn't have Calgary on his NTC list.

Stralman + Noel + 3rd would be perfectly acceptable for me at least. A stop gap, a decent prospect and a mid round pick is a fair return for an aging player under contract for a few more years that the Flames won't retain salary on.

MakeCgyGreatAgain

Feb 3, 2003
Calgary, AB
Just curious about a deal I think makes sense. I’m sure others will disagree.

to Fla
Giordano

to Cgy
Stralman (Flames have to take him for cap purposes)
2021 2nd with conditions on playoff performance. Upgrades to a 1st if Fla makes final 4 and Gio plays at least half the games
2022 3rd with conditions on playoff performance can upgrade to a 2nd with the same conditions as the other pick.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad