Proposal: Giordano to Florida

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Just curious about a deal I think makes sense. I’m sure others will disagree.

to Fla
Giordano

to Cgy
Stralman (Flames have to take him for cap purposes)
2021 2nd with conditions on playoff performance. Upgrades to a 1st if Fla makes final 4 and Gio plays at least half the games
2022 3rd with conditions on playoff performance can upgrade to a 2nd with the same conditions as the other pick.
I’d do this

Mase

Cousins.....kind of a c**t
Aug 6, 2010
Holding the blue
Just curious about a deal I think makes sense. I’m sure others will disagree.

to Fla
Giordano

to Cgy
Stralman (Flames have to take him for cap purposes)
2021 2nd with conditions on playoff performance. Upgrades to a 1st if Fla makes final 4 and Gio plays at least half the games
2022 3rd with conditions on playoff performance can upgrade to a 2nd with the same conditions as the other pick.

It's a fair ask, and yes, I'd be ok with it. Good post.

MakeCgyGreatAgain

Feb 3, 2003
Calgary, AB
Gio is either an off season or next deadline move you don't move him now.
He’s not getting any younger. We can’t protect him in the expansion draft. We aren’t making the playoffs. He’s at his highest value now. We traded Iggy a year to late and we ended up with nothing for our franchise player. So what’s the good reason to hang on to him?

Reactions: banks

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
He’s not getting any younger. We can’t protect him in the expansion draft. We aren’t making the playoffs. He’s at his highest value now. We traded Iggy a year to late and we ended up with nothing for our franchise player. So what’s the good reason to hang on to him?

Any significant moves I think happen in the off season I don't think you sny core changing moves in the next week

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Looks like we got ourselves a deal here boys.
Should I drive Mark to the Airport?

I'd keep the lines open a little longer. Panthers might still be interested in a back up centre for an extended run.

Inexpensive, Derek Ryan might be of interest as insurance as a middle 6 centre who is good at faceoffs. He had decent chemistry with everyone he's played with in our top 9 and even pretty good with top guys like Gaudreau.

If the basis is Connolly and Ryan, what's the balancer? (I'm assuming a cap neutral move for this season) Connolly has 2 more seasons after this. Ryan is expiring ufa. Or is there another deal that might work better?

Basically, I'd be asking for any value as he's useful and there's no point keeping him on the Flames this season only to lose him in ufa. He's a solid luxury/insurance and not borderline talent.

MakeCgyGreatAgain

Feb 3, 2003
Calgary, AB
Any significant moves I think happen in the off season I don't think you sny core changing moves in the next week
You very well could be right. But the cap works in this situation. Florida is in a great position to add and they are a very good team already. I think they have a chance to compete and have a long run. So getting a player for two runs makes sense.

MakeCgyGreatAgain

Feb 3, 2003
Calgary, AB
I'd keep the lines open a little longer. Panthers might still be interested in a back up centre for an extended run.

Inexpensive, Derek Ryan might be of interest as insurance as a middle 6 centre who is good at faceoffs. He had decent chemistry with everyone he's played with in our top 9 and even pretty good with top guys like Gaudreau.

If the basis is Connolly and Ryan, what's the balancer? (I'm assuming a cap neutral move for this season) Connolly has 2 more seasons after this. Ryan is expiring ufa. Or is there another deal that might work better?

Basically, I'd be asking for any value as he's useful and there's no point keeping him on the Flames this season only to lose him in ufa. He's a solid luxury/insurance and not borderline talent.
No I way we want Connolly. Have you seen him play lately? He’s negative value at this point.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
No I way we want Connolly. Have you seen him play lately? He’s negative value at this point.

Lots of Flames fans are on board with a 1-2 season tank. Depending on the balancer, it might be worth it to ice Connolly as a warm body/cap floor.

The worst thing that could happen to Florida is basically like what happened to Nashville when Johansen went down just before the finals. Ryan can actually do a few games worth of adequate spot duty on a top line if required. He's more than excellent in the bottom 6 and as a 2C, he's not bad/decent. He also seems to have pretty good chemistry with many different types of players. Not comparing styles and capabilities directly, but he kinda reminds me of a type of Trochek "glue" guy that basically can really stabilize a bottom 9. With that guy in your bottom 9, you don't worry very much about many players/line combos at all.

bronco73

The-omb Oilers Forum
Apr 10, 2012
Lethbridge, Alberta
So a 3rd liner = a declining top pair? There better be a 1st with BC
At Gio's age and declining talent, coupled with a high cap hit and a poorly performing team, I'd say even straight across would be overpay on Florida's end. Maybe with some salary retention from Calgary they could make that work, but it would have to be a 1 for 1 with CGY retaining.

Last edited:

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
At Gio's age and declining talent, coupled with a high cap hit and a poorly performing team, I'd say even straight across would be overpay on Florida's end. Maybe with some salary retention from Calgary they could make that work, but it would have to be a 1 for 1 with CGY retaining.

If a Kimmo Timmonen can get 2 2nds after being injured for almost an entire year at the ripe age of 35, I'd be surprised if someone didn't offer the same package for a player above his pedigree, Calgary wouldn't touched Connolly for Gio with a 10 foot pole and would instantly hang up if Florida asked for retention(on multiple occasions)

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Lol at all the Flames fans demanding a 1st round pick for the 37 year old defenseman who they've been crying to be bumped down to 3rd pair on one of the worst teams in the league.

MakeCgyGreatAgain

Feb 3, 2003
Calgary, AB
Lol at all the Flames fans demanding a 1st round pick for the 37 year old defenseman who they've been crying to be bumped down to 3rd pair on one of the worst teams in the league.
Most Flames fans would be happy with conditional picks. Also I’ve watched Gio all year. He’s not playing as bad as some fans think. He’s not what he used to be but he’s made lots of solid plays and he’s scoring at a decent rate. Being on a team that has given up will also take its toll on players and a change of scenery can reignite them. Also some people are just unhappy people and they criticize everything. Those are the ones that are so critical of Gio. I find it’s best to ignore people like that.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania

I' d add a 3rd rounder or a b prospect for Ryan. I could see that kind of package deal getting done for Florida. It seems like Zito wants to add, but he isn't interested in going all in this year. You still get two solid playoff pieces in Gio and Ryan. Luosto was a good 3rd line center earlier in the year, but he seems to have hit a wall. He's still.young, I'm not worried about him, but we could improve on him for the rest of the season, and it would allow Acciari to center the 4th line so both Ryan and Acciari would be taking faceoffs.

Reactions: Fig

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad