In Memoriam Gilles Gilbert - R.I.P.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
RIP. Too young.

Absolutely loved him when I was a kid. I think a lot of it had to do with his mask with the stars -- wicked look. Thought he was underrated. Given his style I think he would have been incredible had he played several decades later with modern leg pads. Total brick wall when he was in the zone.

GahdenRinkRat

Bruins' Den Mother
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2008
By the Dirty Watah
Had a huge crush on Gilles as a young teen, both as a player and a “cute guy”. My favorite Bruins goalie of all time. The hockey heaven alumni just got a good one:heart::cry:
IMG_2793.jpeg

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Best player in the most memorable hockey game I ever watched

Game 7 in 1979 everything involved - teams, players, iconic stars, location, coaches, styles, TV announcers, time - it was like no other game I’ve ever watched - it was 3 hours of emotional ups and downs

The 1979 Bruins is in the conversation as the toughest team ever assembled in the NHL - inarguably the toughest skilled team

Gilles Gilbert was fantastic that series - actually the series to me was the greatest I ever witnessed

It’s the only series other than 2011 Vancouver I can an actually feel like I’m watching and relive like it’s happening

I wish everyone here got to experience that series live to appreciate the greatness of Montreal and the toughness and will of the Bruins - especially Gilbert

Phenomenal

Last edited:

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
Everybody who's already posted have expressed my sentiments as well. I loved that guy. I used to pretend I was him when I was a kid stopping my brother's tennis ball shots in the basement/garage. That's about as big a complement as I can pay...

I'd go from being Gilbert, stopping shots......to Brad Park when I was taking shots.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad