Gilbert Brule

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigAl

Oct 3, 2002
Visit site
Where's the hype/talk on Brule? I can't believe he has fallen down on so many mock draft lists, as well as scouts lists. I think Brule will easily be the 2nd best player out of this draft, and that we will all agree with that in as little as 4 years. If Anaheim doesn't take Brule I think it is a big mistake on their part, although Johnson looks very good, and they may feel defense is the most pressing need. However, TSN reported today that Brian Burke is listening to offers on the pick. I think someone is going to move up and take Brule. I'm not a Habs fan, but I think Brule would be a good fit in Montreal. Where ever he goes.....the team will have a future superstar in Brule.

BCCHL inactive

Gilbert, is that you?

Either that, or you're quite the dedicated season ticket holder.

Brule has fallen on pretty much every ranking list and mock draft because other than the Prospects Game, he didn't exactly have a good season. From what I saw of him, he buckled under the pressure of being "the man" in the WHL. He took quite a few stupid retaliatory and unsportsmanlike penalties at bad times, which showed his questionable attitude. Sometimes he acted as if opponents didn't have the right to even rub him off the puck.

If anybody does manage to swing a deal with Burke, it'll be to pick Johnson.

Ducks_è_Halos

Feb 8, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
profile.myspace.com
Van said:
Gilbert, is that you?
It's him. I just know it. ;)

If anybody does manage to swing a deal with Burke, it'll be to pick Johnson.
Agreed. I just hope there isn't any deal though. Anaheim really needs a player like Johnson more than anything. I hope Burke doesn't pass up on this future franchise d-man. No offense Gilbert. I'm sure you will make another team very happy someday. :)

Puckhead

Jun 13, 2004
Behind you!!!
IncognitoDuck said:

Agreed. I just hope there isn't any deal though. Anaheim really needs a player like Johnson more than anything. I hope Burke doesn't pass up on this future franchise d-man. No offense Gilbert. I'm sure you will make another team very happy someday. :)
Burke is doing his job. He has to shop the pick, because Pittsburgh has obviously stated that they are not shopping the 1st overall, therefore Anaheim has the next best thing. However, I believe that someone would have to blow his socks off to part with that 2nd pick, because he has Johnson with that pick, and that is who he wants and Anaheim needs. His history proves that he has got to have a no nonsense monster on the blueline. One who can play D, with offensive upside, log a lot of minutes, and is pure nasty on the ice. He took Pronger when he was in Hartford, he traded for Jovonovski in Vancouver, and now he will get his man in Anaheim. Take it to the bank. What he could be doing if he gets the impression that one of the other top 5 teams wants someone other than Johnson is trade down. He only does that if he can guarantee he still gets his guy.

Stiffler's Mom

Mar 2, 2004
You guys are a joke

IncognitoDuck said:

I will quote Ron Toigo who prior to the CHL Prospect Game said "the GM that does not pick Brule 2nd overall will be out of a job in 5 years."

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Puckhead said:
He took Pronger when he was in Hartford, he traded for Jovonovski in Vancouver, and now he will get his man in Anaheim.
he actually made a huge trade to get pronger - it took quite a bit of work to get it done. your right, when he wants someone - he goes as far as he must to get it done.

Hedberg

MLD Glue Guy
Jan 9, 2005
BC, Canada
Stiffler's Mom said:
I will quote Ron Toigo who prior to the CHL Prospect Game said "the GM that does not pick Brule 2nd overall will be out of a job in 5 years."
I doubt he ever thought it would turn out to mean his old friend Brian Burke :biglaugh:

BCCHL inactive

Puckhead said:
he traded for Jovonovski in Vancouver

No he didn't. That was Mike Keenan I believe. It was the Pavel Bure deal.

Stiffler's Mom said:

All the more reason to not listen to Ron Toigo. This is the man who lashed out at Sidney Crosby for not playing in the Prospects Game (something that would have made no difference for Crosby anyway), only because he wanted the marketing dollars Crosby could have brought.

Puckhead

Jun 13, 2004
Behind you!!!
Van said:
No he didn't. That was Mike Keenan I believe. It was the Pavel Bure deal.

All the more reason to not listen to Ron Toigo. This is the man who lashed out at Sidney Crosby for not playing in the Prospects Game (something that would have made no difference for Crosby anyway), only because he wanted the marketing dollars Crosby could have brought.
First of all, YES IT WAS BURKE THAT TRADED FOR JOVONOVSKI!

It may tick you off, but what would you have done in Toigo's place? This game has been hyped all year as a showdown of the top picks, in your arena and one doesn't show. I agree he may have gone overboard in his rant, but you have to look after your own interests first, he can't worry about how Crosby or his agent or his coach are going to feel about his comments. Personally, it would have been great to see Crosby out there with the top prospects, but realistically I don't have a problem with him missing the game, for most the prospects game is to show the scouts how you compete against the best in your class when the nation is watching, and Crosby had nothing to prove, because he has been the undisputed # 1 years before it mattered.

Puckhead

Jun 13, 2004
Behind you!!!
Stiffler's Mom said:
With the added weight on GMs to produce in this new NHL under a hard cap system, GMs will be lucky to last 5 years regardless of who they draft. There will be massive turnover, until they can get a handle on how to operate under the new CBA.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Hey I thought I was Brule.

None of the scouts deny his talent (in fact some of them say his puck skills are better than any prosect perhaps in the world not named Sidney Crosby. They're just paranoid about size - it's no big deal.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
monster_bertuzzi said:
87 points in 69 games (with injuries) as a 17 year old not a good season? :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

70 games. If a player gets injured in the first period of a game it still counts as a game played. ;)

JohnnyRyall

Nov 2, 2004
Stiffler's Mom said:

Agreed. I'm not sure why, but as stated in another post above, Brule has consistently fallen on everyone's projected draft list(s). It would seem that, in the wake of a Sidney Crosby, a second year in the WHL of 87 points and 169 pims just doesn't mean much. I just hope that everyone buys into the ongoing wave of anti-hype and Gil falls to 27. :D

faucon

May 11, 2005
gonzopher said:
Agreed. I'm not sure why, but as stated in another post above, Brule has consistently fallen on everyone's projected draft list(s). It would seem that, in the wake of a Sidney Crosby, a second year in the WHL of 87 points and 169 pims just doesn't mean much. I just hope that everyone buys into the ongoing wave of anti-hype and Gil falls to 27. :D

Brule is still my #2 choice (after Crosby) in my list and I respect all others opinions ! GO Gilbert GO :yo:

Wild Thing

Child... please.
Feb 18, 2003
Way Down South
Visit site
I don't understand why any GM would be worried about Brule's size - he's the same size as Steve Yzerman and Joe Sakic. When's the last time you heard anyone call either one of those guys "small?"

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
Gilbert is a true player. Not only did he often carry his team this year he was also the scholsatic player of the year. Sure he needs to mature but he has a really good head on his shoulders. His size wont be an issue as long as he doesn't play pro as wrecklessly as he plays in junior. Furthermore I expect him to be a respectable 5'11'' and 200lbs when fully grown. I'm not worried about where he gets picked, he'll still be a terrific NHLer wherever he goes.

BCCHL inactive

monster_bertuzzi said:
They're just paranoid about size - it's no big deal.

So it has nothing to do with the selfish penalties he got into the habit of taking this past season? He whined and *****ed to the refs every time he took a routine bodycheck, or so it seemed anyway.

monster_bertuzzi said:
87 points in 69 games (with injuries) as a 17 year old not a good season? :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

Not according to what was expected from Brule. If he was a bonafide 2nd overall pick to Crosby, he would have been much more dominating, and would have had a better attitude than he did this season.

Besides, did anybody expect Toigo, owner of the Vancouver Giants, to say anything different about his player? He probably hasn't even heard of Jack Johnson, Bobby Ryan, Benoit Pouliot and Anze Kopitar.

moulson

Jul 15, 2005
Brule

Take a closer look at him, I think he is probably the third best forward in the
draft. Some team is going to be lucky to get him, I like his overall skill set and
his physical style of play that he will run you through the boards finishing his
checks and plays like a big man! He is a safe pick at the very least virtually
assuring he will absolutly play in the NHL someday.... time will tell on just how
good though :p:

KStewart113

Jun 21, 2005
Unless Burke trades down to a team like Vancouver, Johnson or Pouliot will be his choice. They don't need a centre. Gilbert is a great player, I saw him a few times in Vancouver. When hes having an off night he still makes an impact, he is a very intense player and wants to win. He has a great offensive skill set and will become a good scorer in the NHL level. He is on the smaller side, but he has been playing against some big guys like Phaneuf in the 'Dub'. If Crosby was playing the WHL he would still be doing good, but he wouldn't get no 168 pts. If I'm a team that needs a scoring centre or winger, I'd make Burke a hell of an offer and take Brule 2nd overall. I think Brule will be an NHLer this year, however he might wait another year. Either way, don't judge him if you haven't seen him in his game. He dominates the ice, and doesn't take crap, he'll stand up for himself and teammates. It all depends on what team has the draft choice as to who the teams pick. Anaheim needs a D-man so they'll take Johnson. Carolina might take Ryan as they have C-Staal, and LW-Ladd. Minnesota Pouliot to play with Gabby. Montreal might end up with Brule just for the fact that if the teams draft positionally(not expecting they will). Montreal could take Kopitar, leaving CBJ to have a super easy decision and pick Brule to centre Nash and Zherdev....which would become one of the most offensive lines in the league.(as if Nash doesn't score enough...)

BCCHL inactive

KStewart113 said:
If I'm a team that needs a scoring centre or winger, I'd make Burke a hell of an offer and take Brule 2nd overall.

Why would you do that when you could pay less of a price and get him with picks 5-8?

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Van said:
So it has nothing to do with the selfish penalties he got into the habit of taking this past season? He whined and *****ed to the refs every time he took a routine bodycheck, or so it seemed anyway.

Not according to what was expected from Brule. If he was a bonafide 2nd overall pick to Crosby, he would have been much more dominating, and would have had a better attitude than he did this season.

Besides, did anybody expect Toigo, owner of the Vancouver Giants, to say anything different about his player? He probably hasn't even heard of Jack Johnson, Bobby Ryan, Benoit Pouliot and Anze Kopitar.

Again, he was injured reletively early in the season (groin issues) and that hampered his play a little bit. Do you remember the first game of the season? 4 points that night and he was flat out dominant out there.

BCCHL inactive

monster_bertuzzi said:
Again, he was injured reletively early in the season (groin issues) and that hampered his play a little bit. Do you remember the first game of the season? 4 points that night and he was flat out dominant out there.

One game means nothing.

I've never discounted Brule's skill or ability to dominate a game. What I have noticed this season, is that Brule doesn't like to take a hit, and when things don't go his way, he gets frustrated and expresses that frustration by taking stupid penalties. Obviously the scouts have noticed too with his drop in every ranking and mock draft around.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Van said:
One game means nothing.

I've never discounted Brule's skill or ability to dominate a game. What I have noticed this season, is that Brule doesn't like to take a hit, and when things don't go his way, he gets frustrated and expresses that frustration by taking stupid penalties. Obviously the scouts have noticed too with his drop in every ranking and mock draft around.

Isn't that what coaching is for? I really, really doubt Brule would play as wreckless in the NHL as he does in juniors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad