Proposal: Get MN a top 6 C

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
It exists in your mind.

And you are ignoring your own assumptions to your fiction.
I have to assume you're joking or trolling because I have no idea how you'd take yourself seriously otherwise.

Can you explain to me why wingers even get drafted? You'd think all the centers would go rounds 1 & 2, then defensemen 3, 4 & 5, then goalies in 6, and finally some wingers round 7, maybe. That's how you build a Cup winner right? Drafting by importance of position?

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
I have to assume you're joking or trolling because I have no idea how you'd take yourself seriously otherwise.

Can you explain to me why wingers even get drafted? You'd think all the centers would go rounds 1 & 2, then defensemen 3, 4 & 5, then goalies in 6, and finally some wingers round 7, maybe. That's how you build a Cup winner right? Drafting by importance of position?
Not trolling at all. NHL teams approach draft the same way they have for decades. Goal is to win a pick, a draft. Save their jobs. Very little long term thinking.

Certain player types are both rarer and more valuable to a Contender. 1st line centers. Two-way centers. Top pairing Dmen. Puck moving Dmen who play lock-down defense. Elite snipers. Right shots over left shots.

It is more important to have the right priorities in the right order. It is better to argue if a two-way center is more valuable than an offensive LHD than you argue if Ryan O'Reilly is better than Nick Leddy.

You laugh at drafting only centers in first two rounds, but I suggest going further (assuming middingly draft position)

For two years, draft only Dmen with top pairing potential (longer development).

For next two years, draft only centers with top-6 potential.

For next year, draft only two-way centers.

For next two years, draft only offensive wingers.

Repeat for next cycle.

Only exception is taking 1 goalie per year.

Last edited:

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
I'd love Dylan Strome on this team. Wonder what we would have to give up for him?

Mickey the mouse

Jun 30, 2013
Not trolling at all. NHL teams approach draft the same way they have for decades. Goal is to win a pick, a draft. Save their jobs. Very little long term thinking.

Certain player types are both rarer and more valuable to a Contender. 1st line centers. Two-way centers. Top pairing Dmen. Puck moving Dmen who play lock-down defense. Elite snipers. Right shots over left shots.

It is more important to have the right priorities in the right order. It is better to argue if a two-way center is more valuable than an offensive LHD than you argue if Ryan O'Reilly is better than Nick Leddy.

You laugh at drafting only centers in first two rounds, but I suggest going further (assuming middingly draft position)

Repeat for next cycle.

Accept for a very small percent of goalies, Fluery,Price, recently Knight and Hart, they aren't worth drafting until late rounds. Just look at the FA's out of Europe and NCAA

Most Goalies take years to develop after they are drafted.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

Repeat for next cycle.

That sounds like a really great way to miss out on good players just because they don't play the position you've arbitrarily decided to single out that year.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I'd love Dylan Strome on this team. Wonder what we would have to give up for him?

Probably good picks. Or worse picks and taking cap back. They need cap space pretty badly.

fentonsbrainchild

Jul 29, 2019
That sounds like a really great way to miss out on good players just because they don't play the position you've arbitrarily decided to single out that year.
Imagine winning the lottery this year and taking Byfield just because that’s where you’re at on the cycle. Maybe the worst idea I’ve seen one here

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Imagine winning the lottery this year and taking Byfield just because that’s where you’re at on the cycle. Maybe the worst idea I’ve seen one here

Or worse, imagine Drysdale or Sanderson

Mickey the mouse

Jun 30, 2013
He's #3 C in Chicago behind Toews and Dach and they just signed Pius Suter, a C out of Swiss League who played with Fiala for Swiss Internationally, but has 3-4 years of team control.
He definitely will be available but he's not going to be cheap

fentonsbrainchild

Jul 29, 2019
If LA offered a good package, you’d have to think about it.
I’ve been watching a lot of Lafreniere highlights since yesterday’s loss.

A) I’m not convinced he can’t play center
B) LA would have to give up a chunk of their prospect pool to even make me consider it

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
He's #3 C in Chicago behind Toews and Dach and they just signed Pius Suter, a C out of Swiss League who played with Fiala for Swiss Internationally, but has 3-4 years of team control.
He definitely will be available but he's not going to be cheap

Chicago may not have much choice. Debrincat is due a 6M raise. Strome and Kubalik both need 4-5M, and they have no goalies. Somethings gotta give and they have very little cap. Could be another Teravainen/Bickell situation.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

B) LA would have to give up a chunk of their prospect pool to even make me consider it

He could 100% play center, I'm just not convinced that we should force the switch.

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta

Say we get 1oa, and LA offers 2oa +Kaliyev., do you ask for more? We walk away with a C and a solid wing prospect.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Say we get 1oa, and LA offers 2oa +Kaliyev., do you ask for more? We walk away with a C and a solid wing prospect.

Not Kaliyev no. I would ask for Turcotte/Vilardi or no deal. And then I would take Stutzle at 2.

Reactions: DeagleJenkins

Mickey the mouse

Jun 30, 2013
Chicago may not have much choice. Debrincat is due a 6M raise. Strome and Kubalik both need 4-5M, and they have no goalies. Somethings gotta give and they have very little cap. Could be another Teravainen/Bickell situation.
I totally disagree
Both are coming off ELC's with Kubalik having Arb rights.
Hawks only have to give Strome a QO and he's basically screwed with no options accept to flee to KHL.
Kubalik can go to arbitration and will probably get a bridge anywhere from 2-4 million for 1-2 years.

That's why Strome value is so high

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
Kaliyev is pretty respectable prospect, And I don’t see LA giving up a Center to take another winger. I’d definitely consider.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Kaliyev is pretty respectable prospect, And I don’t see LA giving up a Center to take another winger. I’d definitely consider.
Kaliyev is so gifted, but he probably has the worst compete/defensive awareness package of a top prospect since Yakupov. I have real doubts about if he’ll workout in this league

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
You will always miss out. On any decision. That is life.

If you are afraid of missing out, you never get off the sidelines.

If you care more about living in a fictional world where the Wild "hit" every draft pick, and ignore all the realities, that is a message board mental exercise that you can live in for decades.

But that is not a strategy to victory. It is just hiding in the herd and hoping nobody notices you.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
You will always miss out. On any decision. That is life.

If you are afraid of missing out, you never get off the sidelines.

If you care more about living in a fictional world where the Wild "hit" every draft pick, and ignore all the realities, that is a message board mental exercise that you can live in for decades.

But that is not a strategy to victory. It is just hiding in the herd and hoping nobody notices you.

0% of Cup winners ever have used your strategy

100% have used mine

Reactions: fentonsbrainchild

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad