Get Draisaitl and McDavid some help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Got Kane because of the SanJose debacle.

Kane was at the time a 7 million dollar player. Got him cheaper.

Nuge signed a sweet heart deal.

Ekholm has salary retained and is considered a top 30 defensemen every year by HF the past few years.

Just maybe it's time for the players to play on 2 different lines and create some depth.
intentionally obtuse,

got it

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Im not sure if you're being intentionally obtuse or just confrontational.

The duo needs help (depth). Depth can only be acquired by cap space, which has been terribly mishandled by the Oilers management since McDavid arrived. I bet if we look back since 2015 there has been some sort of dead cap in the form of buyout or retention every year.

Meanwhile Penguins gm was able to capitalize on another teams mishandling of a contract and got a top 10 winger in the game with salary retained.

Any level headed hockey fan knows this isn't about the players.

The Oilers have a
  • 86 pt defenseman making 3.9 mil.
  • 50 goal scorer making 5.5 mil
  • 67 point wing / center in RNH making 5.25 mil. He also had 100 pts last year.
  • 41 point 3rd line winger in Foegele making 2.75 mil.
What depth exactly are you expecting?

The 15-16 Penguins had one player over 80 points in the regular season.

The 08-09 Penguins had Sid and Malkin and the next closest forward was at 49 points in Staal.

Look at the Tampa teams. They didn't have the kind of scoring depth that Edmonton has this season. And they were paying players like Tyler Johnson 5+ mil to play 4C.

I feel like you're just out to lunch here. The Oilers were unanimously viewed as a top 3 contender for the cup this year, now they can't score outside of the powerplay and it is suddenly a depth issue. Not to even mention the fact we are making a post like this after they narrowly lost a game to go down 1-2 in a series.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
The Oilers have a
  • 86 pt defenseman making 3.9 mil.
  • 50 goal scorer making 5.5 mil
  • 67 point wing / center in RNH making 5.25 mil. He also had 100 pts last year.
  • 41 point 3rd line winger in Foegele making 2.75 mil.
What depth exactly are you expecting?

The 15-16 Penguins had one player over 80 points in the regular season.

The 08-09 Penguins had Sid and Malkin and the next closest forward was at 49 points in Staal.

Look at the Tampa teams. They didn't have the kind of scoring depth that Edmonton has this season. And they were paying players like Tyler Johnson 5+ mil to play 4C.

I feel like you're just out to lunch here. The Oilers were unanimously viewed as a top 3 contender for the cup this year, now they can't score outside of the powerplay and it is suddenly a depth issue. Not to even mention the fact we are making a post like this after they narrowly lost a game to go down 1-2 in a series.
I'm out to lunch saying Oilers cap and roster has been mishandled? I'm not even sure what point you two pens fans are trying to make.

Skinner is making 2010-15 Fleury look like Ken Dryden. Pens duo couldn't win with bad goaltending either.

Dead cap space hurts your chances. Oilers have been one of the worst teams at cap management since as far as we can all remember. They have a 5 million dollar player playing in the AHL. When is the last cup winner that had that?

But yes, they should play on different lines. That would help skinner stop a puck.

Pens fans: They just need to play better.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I'm out to lunch saying Oilers cap and roster has been mishandled? I'm not even sure what point you two pens fans are trying to make.

Skinner is making 2010-15 Fleury look like Ken Dryden. Pens duo couldn't win with bad goaltending either.

Dead cap space hurts your chances. Oilers have been one of the worst teams at cap management since as far as we can all remember. They have a 5 million dollar player playing in the AHL. When is the last cup winner that had that?

But yes, they should play on different lines. That would help skinner stop a puck.

Pens fans: They just need to play better.

It's weird how the Oilers have had a goaltending issue for the entirety of the McDavid era.

Maybe, there is an issue with the commitment / system that isn't reflected in the roster complications.

All cup winners have bad contracts. Get over it. It isn't special.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
It's weird how the Oilers have had a goaltending issue for the entirety of the McDavid era.

Maybe, there is an issue with the commitment / system that isn't reflected in the roster complications.

Or, maybe you're just a Pens fan trying to get his shot in in the brief moment in history that he can. You will see how the players will be viewed compared to eachother when its all said and done, and whatever straws you're trying to grasp on to right now will seem even sillier in hindsight.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
intentionally obtuse,

got it
You can call me whatever you like.

I pointed at cap % then I added multiple benefits the Oilers received.

Just because you personally do not like how your narrative has multiple holes and you keep moving the goal posts.

Oh it's cap circumvention that's why. Oh it's because of these bad contracts but let me ignore the great ones.

Like just maybe and I repeat just maybe Draisaitl and McDavid would solve a lot of these problems split up creating depth. Sure they wouldn't get as many points but just maybe just maybe the team would win more.

Reactions: Neil Racki

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh
You do understand that the total salary doesn't actually matter for team building, only the cap hit does, right? Right? McDavid carried a cap hit of $12.5M in 2019, which was a lower percentage of the salary cap than Crosby had in 2009. This is stuff you can easily look up.

Your examples of Crosby (2009) and Stamkos as two-way players is certainly something. Are you just throwing shit against the wall hoping it sticks?

As I said, dumb and bad takes all around.
Results matter genius. It’s absolutely telling how this so-called “greatest player” can’t even his team to even a lousy division title. Then he takes league max which further cripples his team’s ability to add value players to get over the hump. There’s absolutely no leadership being displayed by this overpriced & overrated baby.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Or, maybe you're just a Pens fan trying to get his shot in in the brief moment in history that he can. You will see how the players will be viewed compared to eachother when its all said and done, and whatever straws you're trying to grasp on to right now will seem even sillier in hindsight.

Not really. The OIlers have a roster that should be able to win a championship and I wouldn't be surprised to see them bounce back tomorrow.

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh

They have a leadership problem & it starts with their overrated captain.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
You can call me whatever you like.

I pointed at cap % then I added multiple benefits the Oilers received.

Just because you personally do not like how your narrative has multiple holes and you keep moving the goal posts.

Oh it's cap circumvention that's why. Oh it's because of these bad contracts but let me ignore the great ones.

Like just maybe and I repeat just maybe Draisaitl and McDavid would solve a lot of these problems split up creating depth. Sure they wouldn't get as many points but just maybe just maybe the team would win more.
Oilers cap and roster have been severely mishandled.

Stuart Skinner has not given his team a chance to win in the playoffs.

Teams that do win maximize the cap as much as possible. They have piles of elcs and great contracts and very few nurses, or Campbell's, or browns, or James Neal's.

Which, individually would be alright. A team can still win with 1or 2 bad contracts. But 4 is a lot to overcome, especially when one is your starter and the guy sent to replace him is playing like 2021 Matt Murray not 2017 Matt Murray

But yes, the problem is they play together too much

Not really. The OIlers have a roster that should be able to win a championship and I wouldn't be surprised to see them bounce back tomorrow.
They're not winning shit with Stuart Skinner

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Oilers cap and roster have been severely mishandled.

Stuart Skinner has not given his team a chance to win in the playoffs.

Teams that do win maximize the cap as much as possible. They have piles of elcs and great contracts and very few nurses, or Campbell's, or browns, or James Neal's.

Which, individually would be alright. A team can still win with 1or 2 bad contracts. But 4 is a lot to overcome, especially when one is your starter and the guy sent to replace him is playing like 2021 Matt Murray not 2017 Matt Murray

But yes, the problem is they play together too much
Maybe we will have a discussion in another thread in the future. I think we are an impass on this discussion.

In the future please do not insult me or other posters. It's extremely rude and I think you can be better than that.

Three On Zero

Deranged Oreo Dolphin Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
You have unrealistic expectations of what a top 6 guy is. If a team has 6 forwards better than those two they are extremely stacked
Teams don’t have 6 top 6 players, all teams have players who play above where they should be. On a true contender they are 3rd liners who can play minimal 2nd line minutes

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
So, is it a depth issue or a goaltending issue?

How many times are we going to move the goal posts when it's been demonstrated that many teams have won cups with similar rosters to the Oilers?
Is having a capable goalie not a depth issue?

You show me a team that has won the cup with their starter putting up numbers like Skinner has. This year and last.

And your words- not mine - this is a cup contending roster so you can't blame his numbers on that.

Maybe we will have a discussion in another thread in the future. I think we are an impass on this discussion.

In the future please do not insult me or other posters. It's extremely rude and I think you can be better than that.
I didn't insult you. I felt that you were acting in an intentionally obtuse matter. Ie: playing dumb to the obvious issues plaguing this oiler team.
I feel the same way about the other pens fan in this thread as well.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Is having a capable goalie not a depth issue?

You show me a team that has won the cup with their starter putting up numbers like Skinner has. This year and last.

And your words- not mine - this is a cup contending roster so you can't blame his numbers on that.

Usually teams don't win when they are losing games.

Weird how Skinner wasn't a problem in R1 when he had a .910.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
I don't see that mentioned anywhere have a source?
Apologies Zadarov got fined 5k.

I didn't insult you. I felt that you were acting in an intentionally obtuse matter. Ie: playing dumb to the obvious issues plaguing this oiler team.
I feel the same way about the other pens fan in this thread as well.

They always say when one side insults the other and stops discussing the argument at hand they lose.

Please continue doubling down.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Apologies Zadarov got fined 5k.

They always say when one side insults the other and stops discussing the argument at hand they lose.

Please continue doubling down.
If you feel insulted by what I said its on you.

Usually teams don't win when they are losing games.

Weird how Skinner wasn't a problem in R1 when he had a .910.
3.49 GAA
.881 SV%

Hes a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad