GDT: Germany vs Switzerland @ 7pm PT/ 10pm ET / 4am Sunday CEST

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Yet another weak goal given up by Pasche. No surprise there. Keeps on losing his net. As a small guy you can't do this.
Swiss coaches with the fairly conventional strategy of saving the better goalie for a more important game :sarcasm:

hockey20000

Dec 23, 2018
germany may be offically passing switz/slovakia at the world juinors as the best outside the big 6

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Swiss coaches with the fairly conventional strategy of saving the better goalie for a more important game :sarcasm:
It's concerning but I think they're actually convinced Pasche is any good. He's the lone 03 born goalie on the roster and with the next WJC20 around the corner they were probably always gonna lean on him...which is stupid because Patenaude is much better. Unfortunately Pasche is indeed one of the best Swiss 03 born goalies since we don't really have any good ones. I still prefer Niels Riesen and Kilian Bernasconi. They're taller and way more solid thanks to better technique and positioning. Pasche does have a few big saves every game but the problem is that he offers zero safety. As a defender it must be horrible to play in front of Pasche. He's a midget and his positioning is beyond horrible. Consistently overcommitting and losing his net.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
I was convinced Switzerland will have a reasonably easy time against Austria (as they should) but if we were to use Germany as a measuring stick, those teams are really pretty close.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
The same thing was being said about Denmark circa 2017. Look where are they now. I mean they may be. Or may not be.
Swiss teams are definitely gonna lose ground if the current SIHF coaches (yes, all of them) don't get fired asap. They're all idiots. Yes, all of them. The player material is actually still pretty good. Problem is that coaching is poor and too many of the best players don't get selected or they get scratched. Having said that, we do have a general coaching problem in Switzerland and our under 20 league isn't good enough either. So it is at least partly a structural problem as well.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Sw
It's concerning but I think they're actually convinced Pasche is any good. He's the lone 03 born goalie on the roster and with the next WJC20 around the corner they were probably always gonna lean on him...which is stupid because Patenaude is much better. Unfortunately Pasche is indeed one of the best Swiss 03 born goalies since we don't really have any good ones. I still prefer Niels Riesen and Kilian Bernasconi. They're taller and way more solid thanks to better technique and positioning. Pasche does have a few big saves every game but the problem is that he offers zero safety. As a defender it must be horrible to play in front of Pasche. He's a midget and his positioning is beyond horrible. Consistently overcommitting and losing his net.
The Swiss have always been behind the Germans with regards to goaltenders. When was the last time a Swiss goalie was drafted? The last highly rated one i can remember was Tobias Stephan and that was a wasted pick. 20 years ago..

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Good for Taibel. Has been one of the better Swiss players in this one. Delémont still nowhere near 100%, his movement is still off. But you can see he's getting better, more involved offensively. Clearly the best defenseman with Meier and Bichsel absent. You can tell he's got a lot of pro experience.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Sw

The Swiss have always been behind the Germans with regards to goaltenders. When was the last time a Swiss goalie was drafted? The last highly rated one i can remember was Tobias Stephan and that was a wasted pick. 20 years ago..
We always had good goalies at those WJC20 tournaments the last years. Patenaude, Fatton, Schmid, JVP and Charlin. All very good goalies. Certainly way above average for this tournament. Those guys all bailed out their teams to some extent. That could be different for the next tournament. With Patenaude gone we'll have to hope Riesen or Bernasconi can make a step forward and the idiot coaches are smart enough to even notice it. If we're stuck with Pasche then we won't go anywhere no matter what the rest of the team looks like.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
We always had good goalies at those WJC20 tournaments the last years. Patenaude, Fatton, Schmid, JVP and Charlin. All very good goalies. Certainly way above average for this tournament. That could be different for the next tournament. With Patenaude gone we'll have to hope Riesen or Bernasconi can make a step forward and the idiot coaches are smart enough to even notice it. If we're stuck with Pasche then we won't go anywhere no matter what the rest of the team looks like.
Forgot about Schmid and JVP.. tired mind..

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Not too sure I agree. Switzerland was quite a bit ahead during the Hiller years, it's the fault of the NHL teams they didn't draft him more than anyone else's. Also following the same logic, the last (and only) highly rated German goalie was Kolzig in '89.

Reactions: Hinterland

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Forgot about Schmid and JVP.. tired mind..
Yeah. The Germans may have had better teams but not better goalies. I agree we don't have great goaltending depth right now and very few guys are of international quality but we always had at least one very good goalie at those WJC20 tournaments. If we failed it was never because of poor goaltending except maybe when Paterlini leaned on Hollenstein instead of Charlin. But we always had at least one good goalie ever since JVP.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
3rd period was all Switzerland but it was too little too late. They did nothing but take penalties in the first two periods. Ill discipline. Always a problem with poorly coached teams. Talk about crippling yourself. Maybe with Patenaude in net this one still goes to OT but if you only score two goals and only play one period then it's difficult to complain about goaltending.

Time to fire the clowns.

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
germany may be offically passing switz/slovakia at the world juinors as the best outside the big 6

If recent U18 results are anything to go by Slovakia is going to be clearly the best of the three. German U18 team looks weak, as does the Swiss one but to slightly a lesser extent.

Last edited:

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
How was Munzenberger? Couldn’t watch this one.
Took a dumb, lazy ass penalty that Taibel used for his last second PP goal. Münzenberger chose to just hook Delémont instead of moving his feet. This allowed Switzerland back into the game and almost cost the Germans in the end. Other than that he was as steady as always. Easily the best player on that German team.

Was on the ice when the Swiss scored their other goal but there was nothing he could have done. His forwards were caught by a Delémont move and his defense partner Szuber was late coming back as well so it was pretty much a 3vs1 with all three topline forwards combining for the goal with quick tape to tape passes.

Last edited:
Reactions: snipes

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Lol @ Zanetti getting a whopping 02:39 icetime. Might as well scratch him if you're not gonna play him anyway.

Horrible game from Dionico who was way too slow, lazy and passive both when the Germans scored their 1st and 3rd goal. Surprised he didn't get benched for those. That was Zanetti vs USA level bad.

Also, Knak and Fahrni were very bad. Did nothing offensively besides that one beautiful goal they combined for but Knak took two penalties and Fahrni's horrible giveaway allowed the Germans to score their second goal. Fahrni at least dominated the faceoff circle but I'd have benched them both.

Henry was poor as well. Lost almost all faceoffs and his lazy giveaways led to the German's first goal. Somehow he didn't get benched but Graf did. I mean he was on the ice for two German goals but from what I saw he wasn't to blame for either so probably an injury I missed.

Ritzmann played "just" a good 16mins in this one but this was surely one of the better games I saw from him.

Even the clowns must have noticed Delémont feeling better. He played almost 29mins, over 11 in the 3rd period alone. Like I said his movement is still far off normal but he was outstanding. His move to beat three Germans initiated the first Swiss goal and he drew the penalty Taibel used to score the 2nd Swiss goal.

Other good players included youngsters Meile and Taibel. Personally I liked Alge, Streule and Siedler as well.

Looking back, both the 1st and 3rd German goals would have been very preventable for a solid goaltender. Good shots but by no means unstoppable. Would have been unfair given how poorly they played but it's actually very possible they win this with Patenaude in net.

Last edited:

Kuracmugger

Oct 15, 2019
I haven’t watched the game but i was sure that Switzerland would be slightly better. Was the game even like the score says?

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Yes heard that too in the highlights. Maybe the swiss underperformed.
The first two periods Germany was better because our top players like Henry, Knak, Fahrni were producing awful giveaways and taking dumb penalties. Fahrni's defensive zone giveaway was particularly horrible and his kneeing particularly dumb. He was lucky not to get more than 2' for that idiot move. It also didn't help that Dionico had a very poor game and was way too lazy and passive on two German goals. Pasche also let in two weak ones as always. It was a well deserved loss because many of the top players played only one period. The third was all Switzerland but it was too late. With Patenaude in goal I think they get a lucky win outta this one but with Pasche they were lucky to lose by just one. Also would have helped to have Garessus in the lineup but he was scratched again. Him, Marchon, Hofer and Cavalleri definitely would have been upgrades over some of the forwards and the same goes for Bichsel and Meier on defense. At least Garessus is probably gonna play vs Austria since Graf was either injured or benched for most of the game. Also, Delémont was by far the best player on the ice and got almost 2x the ice time of the USA game. Having said that, this team probably needs Patenaude to beat Austria. If the top forwards want to bs again then Pasche won't crack it.

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
The first two periods Germany was better because our top players like Henry, Knak, Fahrni were producing awful giveaways and taking dumb penalties. Fahrni's defensive zone giveaway was particularly horrible and his kneeing particularly dumb. He was lucky not to get more than 2' for that idiot move. It also didn't help that Dionico had a very poor game and was way too lazy and passive on two German goals. Pasche also let in two weak ones as always. It was a well deserved loss because many of the top players played only one period. The third was all Switzerland but it was too late. With Patenaude in goal I think they get a lucky win outta this one but with Pasche they were lucky to lose by just one. Also would have helped to have Garessus in the lineup but he was scratched again. Him, Marchon, Hofer and Cavalleri definitely would have been upgrades over some of the forwards and the same goes for Bichsel and Meier on defense. At least Garessus is probably gonna play vs Austria since Graf was either injured or benched for most of the game. Also, Delémont was by far the best player on the ice and got almost 2x the ice time of the USA game. Having said that, this team probably needs Patenaude to beat Austria. If the top forwards want to bs again then Pasche won't crack it.

How would you assess Delémonts upside at this point? NLA top pairing dman? Senior national team player? I don't get to watch much of Biel and could only watch him play one period so far this WJC so I am out of the loop here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad