Germany, I need to vent.

Ilyeu

Jan 10, 2010
Seriously, you guys had me invested so hard. After all those adulation and media coverage after defeating Sweden and Canada, you had me smirking. After that twitter post against Canda you had me applauding. Then you had me more than slightly interested in the Gold Medal game. As the game went on, you began believers out of cynics. I began rooting for you harder than I rooted for Canada, even Canada at the 2014 Gold Medal Final.

Then, you go and do something so dumb with 2 minutes left, up 3-2 with a 2 minute power play. You had it in the bag man. You had it in the bag. Why do this to your cinderella supporters!

Well, it was a good attempt.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Honestly deserved the loss. Could've ran out the clock by cycling around the perimeter, they take a stupid shot and the puck ends up in their zone.

Reactions: adsfan

Andon

Oct 23, 2016
That's how it goes for countries that aren't used to winning all the time. Might not be a familiar concept to some.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
They had quite a good run to the gold medal game, wonder if this causes their national team to get closer to the big 6 hockey nations.

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
Dumping the puck in on the powerplay, which is what gave OAR possession and allowed them to pull their goalie and attack, was one of the dumbest plays I've ever seen.

Reactions: BerlinBlueShirt

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
The ending to this game... I don't know if I've ever witnessed an anti climax like it in sports, or in life in general.

Soedy

All Hail Cale
Nov 27, 2012
Hamburg, Germany
Dumping the puck in on the powerplay, which is what gave OAR possession and allowed them to pull their goalie and attack, was one of the dumbest plays I've ever seen.

Yep. If OAR scored with a 6-on-5 or even won the game like 6-1, I would have had no problem with it.

But giving away the lead in THAT manner still stings a day after.

Still unbelievable happy about silver!

GermanNuck

Jun 15, 2011
Germany
It won't.

I don't know, if they don't get punished by Sweden and Canada in Copenhagen this may, they might establish themselves in public.
When the German handball team was successful they had a little hype going. The problem is that as soon as you can meet the expectations in Germany you lose all attention as our football team always delivers.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
have any numbers been released telling how many in Germany watched the final and semi-final? You'd think a few kids might wanna pick up hockey after this.

GermanNuck

Jun 15, 2011
Germany
have any numbers been released telling how many in Germany watched the final and semi-final? You'd think a few kids might wanna pick up hockey after this.

3,19 million people watched the final, which was almost 55% marketshare given the early time (it was 5am in Germany) for the public broadcaster and another 400.000 watched it on Eurosport, so in pay, which adds up to little over 60% which is indeed historic.
Obviously, if it had been around noon the numbers would probably be way higher in terms of total viewership.

There are no numbers yet for the game against Canada, but considering that this game was Friday afternoon the ratings should be pretty good.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Tough loss for the germans but shit happens.

Still, Russia may have won the gold but germany was the most impressive team at this tournament in terms of their results.

I mean, G teams of the big hockey powers or not or not they were still underdogs against Sweden, Canada and Russia. They beat Sweden and Canada in elimination games and should have beaten Russia and were less then a minute away from doing so.

Not bad. Silver is a more impressive result for them then gold was for Russia who everyone knew had a leg up going into this thing that no one else had.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad