German Players in North America - 2013/14

Babula

May 31, 2012
The Czech part means lazy, these days, I guess. Right, It can´t help him. :laugh:

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
So the Import Draft is done, and there are 4 new names that might play in the CHL next season, and Bender has to decide or wait and see if he will play in the OHL or USHL.

I wonder if Määttä and/or Zadorov will make their teams this season.

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Good German interest in the import draft, higher than normal?

I just checked the previous drafts, and lately it seems normal that 4 or 5 Germans get selected.

Year | # of Picks | Player | Player | Player | Player | Player
1997|3|Marco Sturm|Thomas Dolak|Markus Pöttinger||
1998|0|||||
1999|1|Franz-David Fritzmeier||||
2000|0|||||
2001|0|||||
2002|0|||||
2003|3|Patrick Ehelechner|Andy Reiss|Yannic Seidenberg||
2004|0|||||
2005|1|Felix Schütz||||
2006|1|Stefan Langwieder||||
2007|5|Timo Pielmeier|Denis Reul|Gerrit Fauser|Simon Fischhaber|Maximilian Brandl
2008|4|Jerome Flaake|Toni Ritter|Philipp Grubauer|Maximilian Englbrecht|
2009|2|Tom Kühnhackl|Konrad Abeltshauser|||
2010|5|Tobias Rieder|Mirko Höfflin|Marcel Noebels|Bernhard Keil|Nickolas Latta
2011|5|Mathias Niederberger|David Elsner|Nicolas Krämmer|Sebastian Uvira|Dominik Bittner
2012|4|Leon Draisaitl|Dominik Kahun|Frederik Tiffels|Marvin Cüpper|
2013|5|Markus Eisenschmid|Marco Sedlar|Andreas Eder|Maximilian Kammerer|Tim Bender

Joey Banana

Mar 9, 2012
I know, but i was kind of lazy and am hoping he gets to stay there, that's why I just kept the Sabres as his team until it is final where he is going to play. ;)

But thanks for the response, it is good to know, that people will point out any mistakes I make in this thread.

Don't worry, he already signed a new one-year deal with the Sabres. That's good for two reasons, he gets another chance to proove himself as a NHL caliber defenseman and he's most likely a lock for the WC this year because Buffalo is going for a rebiuld.

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Tim Bender has signed with Red Bull München.
Since he is unlikely to play with London in the OHL (their imports are likely returning) and it is not clear if he will play in the USHL, he might end up playing for the Red Bull youth team in the MHL.

zecke26

Jan 16, 2003
Tim Bender has signed with Red Bull München.
Since he is unlikely to play with London in the OHL (their imports are likely returning) and it is not clear if he will play in the USHL, he might end up playing for the Red Bull youth team in the MHL.

this move could mean he will play OHL in 14/15. for the USHL he could have moved over this summer. for the OHL he couldn't, because you mentioned their two imports staying. so maybe he will move to london next summer.

MHL is likely as i don't see him fulltime in the DEL yet.

Tronador

Nov 13, 2003
Berlin
Visit site
I am bit surprised. Since there were so many drafted German prospects, I am wondering, why nobody has declared he will move to the CHL or USHL. What about Eisenschmid, Sedlar, Toumie, Eder, etc...?

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
I am bit surprised. Since there were so many drafted German prospects, I am wondering, why nobody has declared he will move to the CHL or USHL. What about Eisenschmid, Sedlar, Toumie, Eder, etc...?

As far as I know Eisenschmid will make the move to the CHL. He had worked that out with his team a while ago.
Parker Tuomie and Janik Möser have expressed that they are looking forward to playing in the USHL and they already attended their teams rookie camp and did well.

I know that Sedlar and Eder are expected to play in the CHL as well, at least their teams seem to be planning with them.
Kammerer will attend the training camp in August, and as far as I know Regina will decide then if he will play for them this season or stay another year in Germany before he comes over in 14/15.

I have absolutely no idea if Marcel Kurt will play in the USHL or stay in Germany.

I guess we will have to wait until the training camps before we really know what's going on.

EDIT: I found this article about the CHL draft where some of the guys clearly state that they will play in the CHL.

Last edited:

zecke26

Jan 16, 2003
EDIT: I found this article about the CHL draft where some of the guys clearly state that they will play in the CHL.

yes, eisenschmid, kammerer and sedlar confirmed in this article, eder confirmed via twitter the same day.

the only CHL draftee not going over (yet) is bender.

btw: erik gollenbeck will play for the aberdeen wings in the NAHL.

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
btw: erik gollenbeck will play for the aberdeen wings in the NAHL.

Thank you very much for this information.
Do you know anything about this league? From what I have found it seems to be on tier below the USHL among US-junior leagues.

zecke26

Jan 16, 2003
Thank you very much for this information.
Do you know anything about this league? From what I have found it seems to be on tier below the USHL among US-junior leagues.

yes, that is correct. USHL is jr.A tier I and NAHL is tier II. USHL therefore is much better, especially since smaller and better depth.
the NAHL is still able to produce NHLers every now and then though. while the general competition is lower, there could still be some good players. and you keep NCAA eligibility too, so maybe a college career. gollenbeck seems to be interested in staying in NA for longer than a year. so who knows.

huba sekesi was in the NAHL last year. i have no information yet if he will stay there or come back to germany.

the skipper

Jan 16, 2010
Canada
So, can I play pretend? It's a happy and sad day. It was announced today that NHL players would play in the 2014 Olympics. So, pretend time. If Germany were to participate, what would their roster look like?

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
So, can I play pretend? It's a happy and sad day. It was announced today that NHL players would play in the 2014 Olympics. So, pretend time. If Germany were to participate, what would their roster look like?

I have been playing this game of pretend for a while now, even before the announcement about NHL participation was made, and will probably continue to do so all through the Olympic. :cry:

My roster would probably look something like this (although it wouldn't be too realistic):

M.Müller - M. Goc - Rankel
F.Schütz - Hospelt - Gogulla
D.Wolf - G.Festerling - Flaake
Tripp - Kink - Noebels
(Rieder, Draisaitl, Kühnhackl and Ehliz should all be considered)

Ehrhoff - Seidenberg
Holzer - Krueger
C.Braun - Hördler
(Baxmann, Schubert, Sulzer and Abeltshauser should also be candidates)

Endras
Greiss
Grubauer

I am probably off about some of the positions (I never seem to be able to remember who plays which wing or who is playing LD or RD respectively).

The defense looks pretty solid and I am usually not worried about goaltending. But the forwards are a problem. The good thing is, that you could replace pretty much all of them with other players that are nearly at the same level and it really depends onb what kind of game you want to play. So compared to some years ago we have a depth of decent forwards, however there is really not much top end talent there. In 2018 I hope that Draisaitl will be just that but for now our most offensively gifted player seems to be a defenseman (Ehrhoff)

Last edited:

the skipper

Jan 16, 2010
Canada
Obviously, you know these players much better than I do and you answered some questions. I was wondering if the young guys (Rieder, Kühnhackl and specially Draisaitl) would be considered. If these players reach their anticipated potential, they could score a few goals in 2018. One player you left out is Kahun. Because of the larger ice surface where I believe physical play will be less of a factor, I wonder if a speedy player like Kahun could find a spot? He looked good alongside Rieder and Draisait at the juniors last year. I agree that defence would be pretty solid and goaltending also looks good. Of course, the problem with 2018 is that leaders like Goc and Seidenberg are getting a little older

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Obviously, you know these players much better than I do and you answered some questions. I was wondering if the young guys (Rieder, Kühnhackl and specially Draisaitl) would be considered. If these players reach their anticipated potential, they could score a few goals in 2018. One player you left out is Kahun. Because of the larger ice surface where I believe physical play will be less of a factor, I wonder if a speedy player like Kahun could find a spot? He looked good alongside Rieder and Draisait at the juniors last year. I agree that defence would be pretty solid and goaltending also looks good. Of course, the problem with 2018 is that leaders like Goc and Seidenberg are getting a little older

Oh, they would be considered in 2014 if we were playing, although I don't know how Kühnhackl chances would healthwise. I am just not sure if the coach would take that risk with so many young players. Hypothetically, I would have expected no more than 2 of those young guys on the team including Noebels who has a bit of a head start playing in the IIHF World Championships this year.
As far as Kahun goes, I don't see him close to the team, yet. For 2018 he should be considered if he develops the way I would expect him to.
There are a few former CHL players that I would also expect to be in the running for roster spots in 2018, assuming we qualify then. Guys like Mirko Höfflin, Sebastian Uvira, Mathias Niederberger or even Nicoals Krämmer could all develop into solid players for Team Germany in the coming years. Personally, I am especially high on Uvira.
Your last point is very true, unfortunately. It is too bad, that we can never have good players at all positions. For a time Germany produced pretty good defensemen, and now we start to get some forwards, but there may be only a couple of year where these guys can actually play together.
I really hope Abeltshauser pans out and a kid like Gläßl, who plays Junior hockey in Finland, might become the next interesting defensive prospect. Then we only need to hope that Bender and/or Möser develop in the right direction ...

God I love to daydream like that. :laugh:

Dfire

Oct 17, 2008
In 2014 I'd go with experience instead of youth because at the Olympics confidence is a big factor and the younger German players, while talented, tend to lack confidence when faced with the best players in the world. So this would be my team:

Marco Sturm - Marcel Goc - Michael Wolf
Jochen Hecht - Kai Hospelt - Andre Rankel
Marcel Müller - Alex Barta - Florian Busch
Felix Schütz - Christoph Ullmann - John Tripp

Christian Ehrhoff - Dennis Seidenberg
Sascha Goc - Brett Festerling
Constantin Braun - Christoph Schubert
Korbinian Holzer - Alex Sulzer

Dennis Endras
Thomas Greiss
Danny Aus den Birken

I know that some have retired from the NT and Brett F isn't even German yet, but it's daydreaming after all.

Joey Banana

Mar 9, 2012
This sounds fun. I guess it wouldn't have looked really different from our WC NTs. Maybe plus Hecht/Sturm since they're back in Germany and don't have to play 82+ games a year anymore but who knows.

Müller - M.Goc - Wolf
Gogulla - Schütz - Flaake
Rankel - Hospelt - Noebels
Ehliz/Kink - A.Barta - Reimer

Seidenberg - Ehrhoff
Sulzer - Holzer
Hördler - Krueger
Braun/N.Goc - Fischer

Greiss
Endras
Zepp

HM: Ullmann, Greilinger, Schubert and Tripp

But one good thing came out of this whole fiasco, we won't have to fear that Reul is nominated to add toughness to our roster. :sarcasm:

Joey Banana

Mar 9, 2012
That's not the case for Sturm yet. He's still hoping for an NHL contract:

http://www.eishockeynews.de/aktuell...koeln-hat-mich-schon-mehr-als-begeistert.html

I've read the same about every german player except Ustorf and Hecht coming back from NA. Well and Gogulla, but you don't talk about crossing a bridge you've recently burned down. I don't recall it ever happening, though. But to be fair, if there's a guy that has the heart and will to pull it off, it's Sturm.

Last edited:

the skipper

Jan 16, 2010
Canada
I guess I lost track of Marco Sturm this year. I hope he can come back. He's had a nice NHL career and may have a little left to offer. Personally, I like the idea of the young guys. Germany, like Latvia, Austria, Norway, Switzerland etc. always lack scoring. These teams can steal games sometimes through goalies (see Martin Gerber). Some of these younger Germans are showing offensive capabilities and I cant wait to see them compete.

Bure80

Jun 27, 2011
My starting 6 2018:

Rieder---Draisaitl---Flaake

----Ehrhoff----Seidenberg

---------Grubauer

Doesnt look so bad in my opinion.

Tronador

Nov 13, 2003
Berlin
Visit site
As far as I know Eisenschmid will make the move to the CHL. He had worked that out with his team a while ago.
Parker Tuomie and Janik Möser have expressed that they are looking forward to playing in the USHL and they already attended their teams rookie camp and did well.

I know that Sedlar and Eder are expected to play in the CHL as well, at least their teams seem to be planning with them.
Kammerer will attend the training camp in August, and as far as I know Regina will decide then if he will play for them this season or stay another year in Germany before he comes over in 14/15.

I have absolutely no idea if Marcel Kurt will play in the USHL or stay in Germany.

I guess we will have to wait until the training camps before we really know what's going on.

Thanks for your comments.

Strange, that eliteprospects hasn't mentioned any of those possible transfers.

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
I am thinking about also adding the kids, who will be playing for the Red Bull Juniors in the MHL next season, to the list. Although they definitely aren't playing in North America but I don't really want to make another thread for them.

What do you guys think?

zecke26

Jan 16, 2003
dominik tiffels -> minnesota wilderness (NAHL)
janik möser -> muskegon lumberjacks (USHL)
tuomie parker -> wenatchee wild (NAHL)
lukas laub -> odessa jackalopes (NAHL)
marcel kurth -> des moines buccaneers (USHL)
markus eisenschmid -> medicine hat tigers (WHL)
lennart palausch -> aberdeen wings (NAHL)

draisaitl, kahun and f.tiffels staying with their team

source: http://www.deb-online.de/index.php/...ei-summer-hockey-challenge-in-poprad-svk.html

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $380.00