Gerber given slap in the face by Swiss!

Status
Not open for further replies.

wildone26*

Gerber started the first game for the Swiss in net vs Finland, although he was pulled. He has had a better year in the NHL than Aebischer however who temporarily lost his starting job with Colorado, in fact they had to bring somebody new in. Gerber in his game with Canada of course made 49 saves for the shutout win, yet Aebischer has started the last two games. So starting the tournament as the starter presumably, since all countries start their starter in the first game, and putting on some an exceptional performance against Canada he is still demoted to backup behind the inferior Aebischer, that is a HUGE SLAP in the FACE! That is so wrong, so idiotic, so stupid, so unfair. I am so glad the Swiss have tied their last two games against weaker countries, it serves then right after the huge insult and slap in the face they gave to Gerber after his amazing performance against Canada. I know he doesnt play like that everday of course, but I bet if they had him in net instead of the inferior Aebischer they would have won their last two games against Germany and Italy.

Last edited by a moderator:

larsmark

Aug 30, 2005
Örnsköldsvik
Maybe they are saving him for the game tomorrow? Sweden won't play Lundqvist in net tonite because they wan't him to be fresh and ready tomorrow in the quarters.

GuloGulo

Nov 16, 2005
trunkofacamaro
uh, save your juice dude. If anything they played Aebischer to give Gerber a rest. They didn't lose these games to goaltending but to lack of offense against "inferior" teams, the fact that they've entered this tournament with the intention to defend against top nations rather than dominate weaker ones. Aebischer was outstanding against the Czech and indeed did save them two points right there.

Gerber will likely play tomorrow's quarter finals game, are you happy?

joe_shannon_1983*

larsmark said:
Maybe they are saving him for the game tomorrow? Sweden won't play Lundqvist in net tonite because they wan't him to be fresh and ready tomorrow in the quarters.

Sure, Lundqvist isn't playing due to Sweden wanting to rest him for the quarterfinals.

But he is also resting because Sweden is going to try really hard to lose to Slovakia so that they can avoid Canada and Czech Republic in the quarterfinals.

SwisshockeyAcademy

Dec 11, 2002
Visit site
wildone26 said:
Gerber started the first game for the Swiss in net vs Finland, although he was pulled. He has had a better year in the NHL than Aebischer however who temporarily lost his starting job with Colorado, in fact they had to bring somebody new in. Gerber in his game with Canada of course made 49 saves for the shutout win, yet Aebischer has started the last two games. So starting the tournament as the starter presumably, since all countries start their starter in the first game, and putting on some an exceptional performance against Canada he is still demoted to backup behind the inferior Aebischer, that is a HUGE SLAP in the FACE! That is so wrong, so idiotic, so stupid, so unfair. I am so glad the Swiss have tied their last two games against weaker countries, it serves then right after the huge insult and slap in the face they gave to Gerber after his amazing performance against Canada. I know he doesnt play like that everday of course, but I bet if they had him in net instead of the inferior Aebischer they would have won their last two games against Germany and Italy.
This has to be a joke.

Mr. Penguin

Aug 30, 2004
Finland
ferns8916 said:
But he is also resting because Sweden is going to try really hard to lose to Slovakia so that they can avoid Canada and Czech Republic in the quarterfinals.

Oh come on, no one tries/wants to lose on purpose!

...right guys? Right??? :confused:

:sarcasm:

larsmark

Aug 30, 2005
Örnsköldsvik
ferns8916 said:
No, that was announced before they had a clue about where Switzerland would end up in the final standings. That has been the plan all the time.

wildone26*

Sorry but if they were resting Gerber for the quarters they would have played him against the Germans, did he need to sit out 2 games and rest almost a full freaking week to be ready for the quarters? Of course not. Aebischer has started 3 of the 5 games, he obviously is the starting goalie, if Gerber starts in the quarters it is only because Aebischer played such a crummy game against the Italians, it is not because they were ever planning to start Gerber. Aebischer will likely still start though.

chiavsfan

wildone26 said:

Gerber (NHL) 28-9 2.27 GAA and a .906 SV%
Aebischer (NHL) 22-13 3.12 GAA and a .896 SV%

Gerber has beter stats, but I don't think Aebischer is in any way "inferior" as you say

In the Olympics, each goalie has "stolen" a game...and I believe Gerber will start the quarterfinal game. If the Swiss lose when gerber is in net...will it be a slap in the face to Aebischer?

Honestly, you need to calm down

wildone26*

SwisshockeyAcademy said:
This has to be a joke.

Definitely no joke. I am very serious. With the tournament format some starting goalies were to play only 5 or 6 of the potential 8 games. However the starting goalie pre-tournament almost always starts the first game. Gerber started the first game, against one of the contending teams, Finland, so it obvious he started the tournament as the starter, as he should since in the NHL he has been superior to Aebischer so far this year. He may have lost that starting role with his performance vs Finland, but his performance vs Canada should have ensured him regaining it, and it didnt, he is still the backup and it is wrong, and the Swiss deserve the dissapointing results in their last two games because of it.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
It was annouced during the Italy game that Gerber will start tomorrow, so he was being rested today, although I can't understand why he didn't get one of the last two games as Aebischer allowed a weak goal in both of them.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Tuggy said:
Are you dense? Gerber is obviously being rested for the QUATERFINAL game tomorrow. :shakehead
Obviously is the word. Each and every team that plays the QF tomorrow plays their backup goalie tonight. 24 hours of rest or less isn't that much rest.

The game tonight doesn't mean anything to anyone, the game tomorrow means everything. The coach that wouldn't maximize his teams chances to win tomorrow is making a general failure. This, all coaches have understood, but apparently not all the fans. That's why the coaches coach and the fans just watch.

Last edited:

wildone26*

chiavsfan said:
Gerber (NHL) 28-9 2.27 GAA and a .906 SV%
Aebischer (NHL) 22-13 3.12 GAA and a .896 SV%

Gerber has beter stats, but I don't think Aebischer is in any way "inferior" as you say

In the Olympics, each goalie has "stolen" a game...and I believe Gerber will start the quarterfinal game. If the Swiss lose when gerber is in net...will it be a slap in the face to Aebischer?

Honestly, you need to calm down

How is what you showed me show Aebischer is not inferior. Gerber has better stats, his game against Canada was unbelievable, Aebischer lost his job in Colorado when they brought in a new goalie for a bit, of course Aebischer is inferior yet the Swiss are treating him as the superior goalie by having him play almost every game.

There is no reason to believe Gerber will start in the quarters, Aebischer has started two straight games, they would not sit somebody for two straight games to rest them, no country rests their starting goalie for two straight games. If they were resting Gerber for the quarters he would have played vs Germany and sat out vs Italy, or sat out vs Germany and played vs Italy, more likely the former though.

I hope the Swiss do lose in the quarters now no matter who they start in the net, they deserve it.

wildone26*

If he is starting in the quarters it is only because Aebischer played so horrably vs the Italians today, it is not because he still had his starting job after the Canada game. So it is still a disgrace. If Gerber was still the starting goalie after the Canada game he would have played against one of the remaining two teams atleast, no team sits their starting goalie for two straight games during the part of the week with so days in between games especialy. So if Gerber starts the quarters it is only because Aebischer lost the job with such a horrable game vs Italy. However Gerber was still the backup after the game vs Canada, otherwise he would have started atleast 1 of the final 2 round robin games, and that is very wrong. I still hope the Swiss lost badly in the quarters for demoting Gerber to backup despite being superior to Aebischer all year, and after his incredable performance vs Canada.

chiavsfan

wildone26 said:
If he is starting in the quarters it is only because Aebischer played so horrably vs the Italians today, it is not because he still had his starting job after the Canada game. So it is still a disgrace. If Gerber was still the starting goalie after the Canada game he would have played against one of the remaining two teams atleast, no team sits their starting goalie for two straight games during the part of the week with so days in between games especialy. So if Gerber starts the quarters it is only because Aebischer lost the job with such a horrable game vs Italy. However Gerber was still the backup after the game vs Canada, otherwise he would have started atleast 1 of the final 2 round robin games, and that is very wrong. I still hope the Swiss lost badly in the quarters for demoting Gerber to backup despite being superior to Aebischer all year, and after his incredable performance vs Canada.

You are blowing this way out of porportion, and your arguments make NO sense. Gerber will start tomorrow. If he sucks, they are out of the tournament...if he wins, he will go until they lose. There is no slap in the face, anywhere

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
It was announced before the game versus Italy started that Gerber will play tomorrow.

Anyway, is what happened so hard to figure out :
- Gerber is named the starter before the tournament and got pulled against Finland
- Aebischer got a chance to show what he can do and steal the czech game, creating a goalie controversy
- Gerber prove he still is the number one by blanking Canada
- After his game against the czech, it was fair to give another to chance to Aebischer against Germany, a game in which he failed to impress
- Coach Ralf Krueger decides that Gerber will start in the quarterfinal and rest him against Italy

Why would you care that much about the issue anyway ?

SwisshockeyAcademy

Dec 11, 2002
Visit site
stv11 said:
It was announced before the game versus Italy started that Gerber will play tomorrow.

Anyway, is what happened so hard to figure out :
- Gerber is named the starter before the tournament and got pulled against Finland
- Aebischer got a chance to show what he can do and steal the czech game, creating a goalie controversy
- Gerber prove he still is the number one by blanking Canada
- After his game against the czech, it was fair to give another to chance to Aebischer against Germany, a game in which he failed to impress
- Coach Ralf Krueger decides that Gerber will start in the quarterfinal and rest him against Italy

Why would you care that much about the issue anyway ?
If that breakdown does not calm this guy down then he needs some professional help. Maybe a good massage - relax.

You 'Orns!
Feb 11, 2004
Mannahatta
You can pull out full season stats of Gerber vs. Aebischer, but between the new year and the beginning of the Olympics, Aebischer has played some great hockey, winning back his starting job with authority.

I'm not saying he's better than Gerber, but it's not necessarily an insult if the Swiss were to treat him like the starter (which I really don't think they're doing anyway). Swiss fans should be glad that they have two quality goalies to choose from.

twelve

May 19, 2005
The only place where it said that Aebischer was starting goalie is some article in the net. Everyone knows that that is a mistake. There is no question that Krueger thinks both goalies are very good, though there's a very slight preference for Gerber. When I saw Aebi in goal today, I knew that Gerber would be in goal at the quarterfinal.

swisdan

Feb 18, 2005
earth
qube.cpacon.com
twelve said:
When I saw Aebi in goal today, I knew that Gerber would be in goal at the quarterfinal.

exactely...

But i think Abby made 2 good games vs Italy and Germany. It isn't true to say Abby wasn't in a good shape or bad. I don't think Abby lost his position of starting goalie because the swiss team don't win one of this games. I don't bother me seeing Aebischer between the pipes for the last two games.

But Gerber is no1 from Krueger and he's confident about him. In Switzerland, everybody knows Gerbs will play tomorrov.

Abby's stats is excellent:

No. Name GP W L T Min GA SA SO GAA Sv%

40 David Aebischer 4 1 0 2 200 7 118 0 2.10 .941

26 Martin Gerber 2 1 1 0 100 5 73 1 3.00 .932

Vanucks

Apr 25, 2003
Rogers Arena?
wildone26 said:
Wow, I didn't know that Martin Gerber was a registered user on these boards...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad