News Article: Gerbe bemoans lack of playing time, being healthy scratch

thefifagod

I'm The Survivor
Jul 3, 2008
Stafford and Hecht often look listless. Kaleta puts a lot of work in to his physical role, he has little interest in hockey though.

Back to this nonsense again about Kaleta. :facepalm: He's only our best PK and defensive forward on the roster. Obviously he puts himself in terrible spots too often but to say he has "little interest" in hockey is just absurd.

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
Stafford and Hecht often look listless. Kaleta puts a lot of work in to his physical role, he has little interest in hockey though.

I disagree with your take on Stafford/Hecht and have no idea where you're going with the Kaleta bit.

Hecht and Stafford not having good work ethics is a common misconception. They're physically engaged more often than not (though Hecht has never played a heavy game) and they work the corners/boards.

It seems that in Buffalo, if you're not lining people up in open ice, you're not trying.

Last edited:

RazielMoshman

Jul 10, 2012
UK
Back to this nonsense again about Kaleta. :facepalm: He's only our best PK and defensive forward on the roster. Obviously he puts himself in terrible spots too often but to say he has "little interest" in hockey is just absurd.

His got 0 points. He has got himself suspended for 5 games and doesn't play over 60 games in a season. His an agitator and good at that role, he can be a good PKer sometimes but he is no-where near our best defensive forward. Thats the Buffalo boy homerism right there.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
His got 0 points. He has got himself suspended for 5 games and doesn't play over 60 games in a season. His an agitator and good at that role, he can be a good PKer sometimes but he is no-where near our best defensive forward. Thats the Buffalo boy homerism right there.

That somehow equates to him not having interest in hockey? :shakehead

Crazy Tasty

Oct 5, 2005
Joisey

He averages more blocked shots per game than any other forward on this team. There's about 10 other forwards in the league that average the same or better.

He's far from the useless player you make him out to be.

Daz28

Nov 1, 2010
He averages more blocked shots per game than any other forward on this team. There's about 10 other forwards in the league that average the same or better.

I agree with you guys about Kaleta, but this team only has so many slots for role players. Between Kaleta, Scott and Porter, you're getting zero contribution. You'd like those type players to chip in a bit now and then. Couple that with getting almost no contributions from Stafford, Gerbe and Hecht, and that's half out line-up surviving as utility/role players. Somethings gotta give with these guys, seriously. No way the club can do well if they all keep playing as they are.

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011

He's also at or near the top of the league in penalties drawn year after year.

Although it would be nice if the team had some sort of power play to take advantage... :p

thefifagod

I'm The Survivor
Jul 3, 2008

I don't see how any of that leads you to make the conclusion that he doesn't have an interest in hockey. He's always a good PKer, not sometimes, and the only Sabre who gives up less goals at ES when he's on the ice than Kaleta is Porter who hasn't been here as long. Kaleta's 5th best in the NHL at goals against per 60 minutes among forwards who've played at least 100 minutes. It's not a large sample but it's not an outlier, he was 3rd best on the team last season. He's created a role for himself in the league and it's not just drawing penalties (which he's always been good at), it's being a very good defensive player. Obviously there is no offense there but there doesn't need to be on the 4th line when you're not giving up goals. Again, if you want to ignore his defensive stats over the past few seasons, that's your own fault, but nobody can legitimately say that he has "little interest" in hockey, that's simply idiotic.

RazielMoshman

Jul 10, 2012
UK

To answer this point I only make one case for my opinion.

He could be everything you guys think he is, an excellent defensive forward and PKer, but his instincts for the physical game and reputation/repeat offender habit and point output which looks worse than Hechts make my less interested in him that most around here.

You guys can throw stats and arguments at me all you like, it will always be my opinion that he could be so much better than he chooses to be because he is more interested in the agitator/pest role than the defensive forward/PKer role. I'm NOT saying I'm right, or that it is the divine truth, it's what I believe.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
I love Gerbes drive and the fact that he's feisty,but he has zero hockey sense.
He has more than Myers some nights.
I would like him to get 2nd unit power play minutes.
In what role? On the half-wall as the distributor?

Finally got my GF to watch that movie for her first time this weekend.

I don't think anyone underrates Drew, I think they feel that he's went from inconsistent to almost invisible.
I don't think his work ethic is a myth. In fact, I don't have the link, but it's been posted that he didn't take his career serious enough in the past. Maybe that bug is biting him again, who knows?

I(and no one) is advocating he whine, but the others showed passion about their situations. I'd have liked to see a bit more out of Drew. In his defense, maybe he was just smart enough to know the media has been misrepresenting players thoughts, and decided keeping quiet was the best bet. I guess I give him a pass on that on 2nd thought. ...
In Stafford's case, I prefer to think he's too lazy to whine.

I agree with you guys about Kaleta, but this team only has so many slots for role players. Between Kaleta, Scott and Porter, you're getting zero contribution. You'd like those type players to chip in a bit now and then. Couple that with getting almost no contributions from Stafford, Gerbe and Hecht, and that's half out line-up surviving as utility/role players. Somethings gotta give with these guys, seriously. No way the club can do well if they all keep playing as they are.
You mean zero offensive contribution, or no puck possession, or what? Because you can do without offensive contribution if you get puck possession / force turnovers. Or, you can do with less offensive contribution if you're getting more secondary scoring from your top-6 forwards, and/or defensemen. Even at zero points, on THIS YEAR's SQUAD, Kaleta's role is useful.
To answer this point I only make one case for my opinion.

He could be everything you guys think he is, an excellent defensive forward and PKer, but his instincts for the physical game and reputation/repeat offender habit and point output which looks worse than Hechts make my less interested in him that most around here.

You guys can throw stats and arguments at me all you like, it will always be my opinion that he could be so much better than he chooses to be because he is more interested in the agitator/pest role than the defensive forward/PKer role. I'm NOT saying I'm right, or that it is the divine truth, it's what I believe.
Ah, OK. Point taken. I've posted before I think Kaleta is very smart with the puck, and I value his defensive play. But I don't (opinion) think he's good enough to be a shutdown Selke-level defensive player (and by default, shed the agitator role from his game). Just my opinion.

Hal2000

Nov 16, 2010
I love how Buffalo fans are constantly complaining about how lazy and heartless this team is, how they don't represent this blue collar, hard working, underdog town, but we are immediately ready to rip down the one guy on that team who represents those qualities more than anyone ever could. If he wants to play and he wants more playing time, good, he's a competitor. He should.

unfortunately you're right. Like it or not we are a very hypocritical fanbase and that cant be denied lol

thefifagod

I'm The Survivor
Jul 3, 2008
Matt Eliis > Gerbe. At least you'll get some possession skill and toughness, an actual 4th liner instead of a mediocre skill player forced to the 4th line because he's simply not that good. The day Gerbe is gone will be a relief.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Some people laughed when I said this is a #7 or #8 team right now if Regehr and Gerbe were replaced with useful players. It's not that far off honestly. The amount of time the opposition spend in our zone when either of them are on the ice.

Can anyone remember a Nathan Gerbe shift where had the puck in the opposing zone for more than 3 seconds? His goals have been flukey shots off rushes. He can't cycle the puck, can't win battles to keep the puck, he can't pass and he shoots the puck wide more often than not. He's garbage at Hockey.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Some people laughed when I said this is a #7 or #8 team right now if Regehr and Gerbe were replaced with useful players. It's not that far off honestly. The amount of time the opposition spend in our zone when either of them are on the ice.

Can anyone remember a Nathan Gerbe shift where had the puck in the opposing zone for more than 3 seconds? His goals have been flukey shots off rushes. He can't cycle the puck, can't win battles to keep the puck, he can't pass and he shoots the puck wide more often than not. He's garbage at Hockey.

I was the one that scoffed at this, because I don't view them - more so Gerbe - as utterly detrimental. Just total nonentities, but not the reason why we totally suck.

But your case grows with every complaint and subsequent invisible showing from GerbeGone.

clumping platelets

Put him on waivers and hope that another team claims him. Free up $1.45 million on 2013-2014 cap

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY

In the 2008 Frozen Four he scored 5 goals in the final two games, leading his team to the championship, and was named the tournament's most outstanding player.
He was also a finalist for the Hobey Baker Award in the same 2007–08 season.
He scored 68 points in 43 games in his last year with Boston College.

Awards ...

Dudley "Red" Garret Memorial Trophy 2008-09
AHL All-Rookie Team 2008-09
NCAA Frozen Four Tournament MVP 2007-08
HE Tournament MVP Award 2007-08
HE First All-Star Team 2007-08
NCAA East First All-American Team 2007-08
HE All-Tournament Team 2007-08
NCAA All-Tournament Team 2007-08

He's not garbage at hockey. He's rather ineffective at the NHL level. So far.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
In the 2008 Frozen Four he scored 5 goals in the final two games, leading his team to the championship, and was named the tournament's most outstanding player.
He was also a finalist for the Hobey Baker Award in the same 2007–08 season.
He scored 68 points in 43 games in his last year with Boston College.

Awards ...

Dudley "Red" Garret Memorial Trophy 2008-09
AHL All-Rookie Team 2008-09
NCAA Frozen Four Tournament MVP 2007-08
HE Tournament MVP Award 2007-08
HE First All-Star Team 2007-08
NCAA East First All-American Team 2007-08
HE All-Tournament Team 2007-08
NCAA All-Tournament Team 2007-08

He's not garbage at hockey. He's rather ineffective at the NHL level. So far.

I know it's something that goes without saying, but posting his awards and statistics while at Boston College is a waste of your energy. Scott Burfoot...Greg Johnson...Pat Micheletti...

To me, and to us, the bolded comments are one in the same. And forgive my pessimism, but I don't think the "so far" is valid anymore. Is there ANY part of you that thinks he's going to magically break out, or turn it around, and become an impact player in any regard?

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
I know it's something that goes without saying, but posting his awards and statistics while at Boston College is a waste of your energy. Scott Burfoot...Greg Johnson...Pat Micheletti...

To me, and to us, the bolded comments are one in the same. And forgive my pessimism, but I don't think the "so far" is valid anymore. Is there ANY part of you that thinks he's going to magically break out, or turn it around, and become an impact player in any regard?

The point I was simply refuting is "garbage at hockey". It's flat out wrong. I am garbage at hockey. 90% of posters on here are probably garbage at hockey. A guy who made it to the NHL is not garbage at hockey.

Do I think he will never ever get better? No. I also think the Sabres shouldn't keep him. Perhaps he'll have better results elsewhere :dunno:

Granted, right now, today, he looks to be on a path to end up in the AHL or Europe. But I won't assume to know for SURE what he will become. It would be ignorant to claim to absolutely know what happens with him in regards to his career.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
The point I was simply refuting is "garbage at hockey". It's flat out wrong. I am garbage at hockey. 90% of posters on here are probably garbage at hockey. A guy who made it to the NHL is not garbage at hockey.

Do I think he will never ever get better? No. I also think the Sabres shouldn't keep him. Perhaps he'll have better results elsewhere :dunno:

Granted, right now, today, he looks to be on a path to end up in the AHL or Europe. But I won't assume to know for SURE what he will become. It would be ignorant to claim to absolutely know what happens with him in regards to his career.

I feel you... but I think you know what was intended with the "garbage" comment. Understandably, you think that's a bit harsh, but I viewed it as relative to the rest of the players in the league. You're pretty spot on in terms of not being trash if you've gotten this far. But we're arguing semantics... nothing to see here:laugh::laugh:

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
I feel you... but I think you know what was intended with the "garbage" comment. Understandably, you think that's a bit harsh, but I viewed it as relative to the rest of the players in the league. You're pretty spot on in terms of not being trash if you've gotten this far. But we're arguing semantics... nothing to see here:laugh::laugh:

I see. It's all good.

Maybe a fault of mine, but I try to take words literally what people type. If someone types a player is garbage at hockey, I don't think they didn't really mean exactly that. Type what ya mean, mean what ya type. Be clear. Leave little to no room for interpretation if possible :dunno:

Luceni

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2006
Austria
I can't believe what I'm reading.

Gerbe is too small for that league. He has heart, he tries to play hard but he will never be more than an annoying fly for the opponents defensemen.

Only in buffalo guys like Gerbe, Hecht, Stafford, Leopold, Scott and McCormick are part of the team.

I've been a fan of gerbe in juniors. But he is clearly too small to do damage at NHL level. And my fear is that catenacci will become a similar player than gerbe at NHL level.

But only future will tell.

Oh, btw: Waive Gerbe, he's useless

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad