Confirmed with Link: GERARD GALLANT FIRED

Status
Not open for further replies.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Agree. Its scary. Literally how could he not know what style he wants the team to play. Everyone on these HF boards knows what style they need to play.
We basically need the next Jared Bednar. Good luck finding one though.

Reactions: CLW

Matt Rentfree

Jan 13, 2012
Nashville, TN.
New York Rangers General Manager Chris Drury has named Neil deGrasse Tyson as the team's next head coach. deGrasse Tyson replaces Gerard Gallant, after the head coach and team agreed to mutually part ways in the aftermath of the Rangers' seven-game first-round loss to the rival New Jersey Devils.

"I said that I was going to be open-minded about choosing a new head coach regardless of style or experience," Drury told the media during deGrasse Tyson's introductory press conference. "I believe that Neil is the right head coach at this time for us because he knows physics."

"I've been a die-hard Rangers fan my whole life," said deGrasse Tyson. "Now I have the opportunity to design physics-based zone exits and zone entries and revolutionize the game of hockey. It's a dream come true."

At a press conference following the Rangers' elimination to the Devils, Gallant grew frustrated by questions about his job security, saying that his resume spoke for itself.

"I don't read," Drury said. "But I watch a lot of hockey. I wish Gallant well, and I hope he'll find an opportunity to coach a non-physics-based hockey team."
I know a couple of people who work in that field and the consensus is that Tyson is A) Brilliant and B) A raging asshole. Sounds like exactly what we need, tbh.

nsvoyageurs

Jun 5, 2012
NS Canada
I know I'm really late on this, but, there were reasons to bring Gallant back (lack of a viable alternative that would get the team to the level it needs to get to win a Stanley Cup; a GM that acquired players that didn't fit how he wanted to play, etc.; systemic/structural issues with the organization that won't be fixed regardless who the head coach is) and reasons to "part ways" (constant line juggling; lack of accountability, i.e. country club culture; lack of development of the younger players Laf; Kakko, Chytil; insistence on playing 4th line players in the top 6, etc. This wasn't all his fault, but obviously, there were things he could've/should've handled differently. You can make the case that Chris Drury should've been fired yesterday too, and I would not have been against it. He is also responsible for this mess/shitshow. A new GM/Coach should blow out the player development staff; not hire a bunch of Glen Sather cronies/Glen Sather's cronies' kids; perferably people with no prior connection to the NYR organization nor anyone who knows anyone in the Ranger organization.

I was optimistic about Gallant when he was hired, but, obviously, that didn't work out as I (and the rest of us) had hoped. As for possible replacements, I do NOT want Joel Quenneville; I get the interest in Darryl Sutter, the accountability, but not him specifically. Whoever they hire, they need someone they respect, go through a wall for but instill accountability and discipline this team has been without for some time. Unless the culture around this team changes, meaning if certain players aren't removed from this roster (with their NMCs this'll be nearly impossible) it won't matter who the head coach is. The players have been enabled to carry on the country club they have lived in. For this organization, this needs to change for them to win a Stanley Cup. We know this team won't go into rebuild mode (they would only half-ass it and I have no confidence this franchise knows how to develop the younger players they need to win said Cup properly anyway) so it's time to win a Cup; 1 Stanley Cup in 83 years is unacceptable. I clarify this by saying this what I think THEY will do, not what I would do.

As for Gallant; obviously I've never met him, though he seems like a good guy; things didn't work out with the Rangers. I wish him well in the future.

Last edited:

TopShelfSnipes

May 5, 2011
USA
New York Rangers General Manager Chris Drury has named Neil deGrasse Tyson as the team's next head coach. deGrasse Tyson replaces Gerard Gallant, after the head coach and team agreed to mutually part ways in the aftermath of the Rangers' seven-game first-round loss to the rival New Jersey Devils.

"I said that I was going to be open-minded about choosing a new head coach regardless of style or experience," Drury told the media during deGrasse Tyson's introductory press conference. "I believe that Neil is the right head coach at this time for us because he knows physics."

"I've been a die-hard Rangers fan my whole life," said deGrasse Tyson. "Now I have the opportunity to design physics-based zone exits and zone entries and revolutionize the game of hockey. It's a dream come true."

Drury said that the Rangers were challenged to transport the puck last season because players believed they could outskate the puck. He reached out to deGrasse Tyson, and things came together quickly for the astrophysicist to become the next head coach.

At a press conference following the Rangers' elimination to the Devils, Gallant grew frustrated by questions about his job security, saying that his resume spoke for itself.

"I don't read," Drury said. "But I watch a lot of hockey. I wish Gallant well, and I hope he'll find an opportunity to coach a non-physics-based hockey team."
The best part about this if it were actually true would be being able to refer to every coaching decision as "galaxy brained" for the next 3 2 years.

will1066

Tarasenko: most dollar store player of all time
Oct 12, 2008
I know a couple of people who work in that field and the consensus is that Tyson is A) Brilliant and B) A raging asshole. Sounds like exactly what we need, tbh.

The best part about this if it were actually true would be being able to refer to every coaching decision as "galaxy brained" for the next 3 2 years.

Ya just can't make this up.

DeGrasse Tyson's assistant coaches would be Bill Nye and Michio Kaku. Allaire remains goaltending coach.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
because uhhhhhh he’s angry and yells. oh and he’s québécois so there’s a 1% chance that does something for Laf

literally all i got
I guess you forgot he won the Jack Adams award in his very brief NHL stint too? And has been an extremely successful junior coach. So no it wasnt he is angry and yells and is “québécois” :rolleyes:

Reactions: egelband

JHS

Oct 11, 2013

Rangers FO have no idea what to do.

All seems to be shaking out really well. Geez I wonder if there are any Bantam coaches out there who might want to give the NHL a shot- probably not as big a jump as you might expect. Maybe they could hire a JV high school coach- that’s probably even less of a jump. Maybe my old coach is available?!?

I mean seriously- it’s now pretty obvious Gallant told them they could go “f” themselves when they told him he was not performing up to their standards and they were left with their pants down with literally no idea.

Again joke of an organization. Proud of Gallant for throwing these clowns to the wind like they deserve.

JHS

Oct 11, 2013
I’m convinced this has to be Gallants burner at this point lol
Nope- just someone who can see how dysfunctional the Rangers are and how lucky the guy was to get out before next season. By the way, you don’t need the “fire Gallant” line under your name. Maybe change it to “ hire a guy with a pulse?” Since it seems you’ve somehow equated that to be a better option than someone who has gotten 2 teams to conference finals and had at least 6 different Rangers,( Chytil, Kreider, Panarian, Mica, Fox and Shesterkin) all have career years during his tenure. Good call though on wanting the guy gone for what will be at best a flier

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Yeah totally…. Probably the worst take on here all time. Legitimately. Worst take. Put it in the HOF of bad takes on the history of HF.

I'm sure there are lots of folks here that think the Rangers would have won Game 7 if not for that play.

Good luck on that one.

Reactions: TheWrongWay

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Translated:
"We're looking for the right fit"
Sounds promising.

"We're not going to limit ourselves to any one style..."
We have no idea what we're looking for. Therefore our ability to assess fit is compromised.

:banghead:

LOL - People hated him when he was an assistant here.

Translation:

“We are looking for the right fit that makes Panarin and the vets happy until when things don’t go the players way and they get another guy fired” this is the trend the last few years. 🤫😂 does anyone else notice this garbage?

Reactions: nsvoyageurs and JHS

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
yeah, it's getting tiresome hearing we're not as fast as NJ...

you will never outskate the puck. Our puck movement is and has been the issue.
Yeah, this is the truth. You don't need a team full of McDavids to play fast. My dad coached my squirt team and he used to tell the boys that nobody out here can skate faster than the puck, it's day one stuff.

Playing fast hinges on a team that is all on the same page so they can make all of their puck management decisions immediately. If you're going to dump and chase it needs to be smart and not just throwing it away randomly, smart dumps targeting specific corners and waiting until you have a man ready to fly into the zone with speed. You have puck support up the ice, multiple outlets and move the puck fast. Far too often under Gallant the D would have the puck and there's nobody making themselves available so the D would either try for a long fruitless stretch pass or just go off the glass. Too often the D would just hold the puck and everyone is standing still, so you make yourself so easy to defend in the NZ and then if you dump it you're going in from a dead stop, that can't happen. It is eerily similar to 2013 how the Rangers looked in those playoffs and needing to move on to a new coach with a new system.

AV had a team with a lead footed D corps and mostly average speed on forward outside of Hagelin and Kreider playing so fast they were the envy of the league at the time, all you heard in 2014 and 2015 was how fast the Rangers were - the Rangers with Girardi and Staal playing 45 minutes combined a night, Brad Richards, Derek Stepan and Derick Brassard up the middle with the first two being slow as molasses and Brassard was fine but pretty average speed wise and yet that team played extremely fast.

Quick decisions, up the ice as a unit with puck support, smart puck management, stronger forecheck. Things Gallant talked about but apparently was incapable of getting this group to do and instead it was just basically freelancing all over the ice every night which is why the results and "effort" game to game seemed so inconsistent.

Talking about how players do or don’t have chemistry is part of the problem IMO
Gallant relied on players having or finding chemistry rather than coaching them in a structure that would allow them to support each other or find ways that work together. If you just hope guys will find each other on the ice all by themselves all the time then you end up with bad 5v5 play
Bingo. Sadly, Gallant would've been a great fit to come in after a coach who had laid down the groundwork already - a la when AV came in after Torts. Unfortunately for us and Gallant, he came in after Quinn who had no system.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Nope- just someone who can see how dysfunctional the Rangers are and how lucky the guy was to get out before next season. By the way, you don’t need the “fire Gallant” line under your name. Maybe change it to “ hire a guy with a pulse?” Since it seems you’ve somehow equated that to be a better option than someone who has gotten 2 teams to conference finals and had at least 6 different Rangers,( Chytil, Kreider, Panarian, Mica, Fox and Shesterkin) all have career years during his tenure. Good call though on wanting the guy gone for what will be at best a flier

Give it a rest, Gerard. Everyone knows the players are equally to blame but unfortunately they all have no move clauses and you don’t. You still deserved to be fired.

TopShelfSnipes

May 5, 2011
USA
It'd be interesting to know what % of this board wasn't born the last time Messier was involved in a playoff win. 18 May 1997.

Fun fact: Also the date of the last goal of Doug Lidster's career.

If that doesn't illustrate how long ago that was...

I don't understand the infatuation with Messier as a coach. Messier was a lead by example captain. That doesn't mean he'll be a good coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad