Speculation: Gerard Gallant fired

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Really surprised that he got fired. Vegas would not have done what they did without him, in my opinion. If there is no bad behind the scenes thing, I think we should hire him right now. Let him come in, see who he likes, who fits and what not.

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
I wasn't too fond of the potential coaching candidates to replace Blashill in the offseason, but now that Gallant suddenly became available, I have become much more optimistic that we are going to be okay.

I remember reading his comments a few years ago about how he still roots for Detroit in the playoffs and how he would like to return and now here is his chance.

I would actually like the Redwings to offer the position to him now except for the fact that I would like us to get the #1 draft pick to improve our chances of drafting Lafreniere.

Doesn't matter who is coaching this team. Wings WILL have the best chance at #1 overall.

GBFP

Sep 24, 2009
Given DeBoer was lined up - that is pretty scummy on Pete's part to have been discussing a job that wasn't open yet. I remember back in the day when prospective coaches/managers would not comment on or discuss jobs that were currently filled out of professional courtesy.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Let's go Yzerman...

Blashill has overstayed his welcome by about 3 years now. Honestly, if Yzerman doesn't fire Blash and hire Gallant, I will already by highly critical of his ability to manage the team. It seems like a no brainer. We have nothing to lose by making a change, we are the laughing stock of the NHL. We are the collective sigh of relief of all other NHL teams when they see us on the schedule.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Laviolette is the better coach.
I think Deboer is too.
I have a hard time trusting Gallant since watching his old Columbus teams - some of the most poorly structured hockey I've ever watched.

What can you guys tell me about how the Knights play for him? Yeah, they got to the finals. But do they play smart, disciplined hockey?

Did the Knights just make Gallant the fall boy for questionable goaltending?

Reactions: Winger98

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Doesn't matter who is coaching this team. Wings WILL have the best chance at #1 overall.

I was okay sticking with Blashill until a few minutes ago. Gallant pink slip is a game changer. Our crease situation is a disaster. Gallant knows what's going down in Detroit and I think Gallant would be willing to ride it out for Stevie.

Maybe they can hire him to a b.s. consultant gig if they really want to let Blashill finish the tank.

Whatever it takes to get Gallant.

Reactions: SirloinUB

Shadywing19

Jan 26, 2013
Yup, snag him up. He won't do much with this current team. But he's the coach we want going forward.. don't miss out, just to be nice to blash. He'll land on his feet.

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

It's possible to commit no mistakes and still lose
Nov 2, 2018
Let's go Yzerman...

Blashill has overstayed his welcome by about 3 years now. Honestly, if Yzerman doesn't fire Blash and hire Gallant, I will already by highly critical of his ability to manage the team. It seems like a no brainer. We have nothing to lose by making a change, we are the laughing stock of the NHL. We are the collective sigh of relief of all other NHL teams when they see us on the schedule.

If Gallant wants to come here and we keep Blash, I will agree with you.
But if the guy wants no part of Detroit Yzerman can't be blamed.

Reactions: SirloinUB

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I could care less about who the coach or goaltender is on this team until the roster gets significantly better.

What if we hire Gallant, and he promotes Blashill and Ozzy as our two new goalies?

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Yep. I was all on “don’t dump blash to pick up whatever trash is available in January”

but Gallant isn’t trash. If you’re going to make an aggressive fire + hire... this is the time.

Stevie knows Gerards credentials and his hockey acumen. Also, he would have that embarrassing 8-1 loss as a “we had to make a move because we aren’t even competitive”.

this is a 180 from my prior stance because there was not a candidate worth my time who wouldn’t be available in the offseason (Laviolette). Don’t see Gallant lasting that long, unless something really bad precipitated this firing

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
I firmly believe this will come back to haunt Vegas. Stupid move on their part.

Yep. And I know the narrative will come from someone here about "Vegas isn't good with the status quo, they want to win titles!" They have a coach who took an expansion franchise to the Final and easily should have coached them to a second consecutive Conference final if the players didn't somehow collapse and allow 4 goals on a 5 minute PK. Who in this current year has them in the playoff hunt.

They better be DAMN sure that DeBoer is an upgrade or this will be a terrible mistake on their part. This is overreaction of the highest order. Think the Wings are underreacting to Blashill being bad... I'd rather hang onto a coach until the season ends on a bad team with no talent than cut loose a coach of a good team because he's not giving you great results. If the season ended tonight, VGK would be the last one out. Get one point and they're in.

Reactions: MoritzSeiderAtSix

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019
Yep. I was all on “don’t dump blash to pick up whatever trash is available in January”

but Gallant isn’t trash. If you’re going to make an aggressive fire + hire... this is the time.

Stevie knows Gerards credentials and his hockey acumen. Also, he would have that embarrassing 8-1 loss as a “we had to make a move because we aren’t even competitive”.

this is a 180 from my prior stance because there was not a candidate worth my time who wouldn’t be available in the offseason (Laviolette). Don’t see Gallant lasting that long, unless something really bad precipitated this firing

this is where I’m at. Didn’t want to fire blash mid season. But I’d be cool with it for gallant.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad