Signing(s): George Springer signs with the Blue Jays (6 years, $150 million)

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Springer is a gamer but that's a lot for OF on the wrong side of the 30s. Jays overpaid not outbid Mets at all. Still good for them though.

Jays window of being competitive is starting to open up. Springer should be good for the first half of this contract and we really needed a standout in CF and at the top of the order. I don’t think the contract is all that overpaid at all but it’s definitely a year or two longer than what I would have liked but that’s what you had to do to get him.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
He's a guy who is far older than it seems because he didn't play a full season until he was 27.

They'll probably get a decent season or two out of this but 6-year term to a 31 y/o CF is going to turn out badly.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
He's a guy who is far older than it seems because he didn't play a full season until he was 27.

They'll probably get a decent season or two out of this but 6-year term to a 31 y/o CF is going to turn out badly.
I mean I don't see any reason to think his bat will regress anytime soon...if his defense falls off in a couple years you shift him to a corner spot full time. I can see year 5 and 6 being on the rough side but that is the price you pay to try and push your team into contention.

Reactions: Cold Cat

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I mean I don't see any reason to think his bat will regress anytime soon...if his defense falls off in a couple years you shift him to a corner spot full time. I can see year 5 and 6 being on the rough side but that is the price you pay to try and push your team into contention.

He's 31 years old and the bat for virtually every player regresses badly in their early 30s.

Reactions: Ed Wood

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
He's 31 years old and the bat for virtually every player regresses badly in their early 30s.
I mean....there have been a lot of players that have been extremely productive major league players deep into their 30's. Virtually every player lol.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I mean....there have been a lot of players that have been extremely productive major league players deep into their 30's. Virtually every player lol.

Uh, maybe in 1998 but in 2020 there was one guy (Nelson Cruz) older than age 33 who was in the top 100 in MLB in OPS. The sport has changed and the long careers of the PED era are over, and it's trending younger right now in a massive way. Guys like Jose Abreu and Paul Goldschmidt are some of the oldest productive MLB players and they're not much older than Springer.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Uh, maybe in 1998 but in 2020 there was one guy (Nelson Cruz) older than age 33 who was in the top 100 in MLB in OPS. The sport has changed and the long careers of the PED era are over, and it's trending younger right now in a massive way. Guys like Jose Abreu and Paul Goldschmidt are some of the oldest productive MLB players and they're not much older than Springer.

We don’t need Springer to be a superstar here. Bo, Cavan, Vladdy, Lourdes, etc have the high ceiling and talent to be stars. We need some stability and leadership as well a lead off guy with a few extra tools. Springer brings all of that.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
We don’t need Springer to be a superstar here. Bo, Cavan, Vladdy, Lourdes, etc have the high ceiling and talent to be stars. We need some stability and leadership as well a lead off guy with a few extra tools. Springer brings all of that.

In Year 1, sure.

It's a 6-year deal.

You're paying $100 million for his age 34-37 years in a sport where one guy over age 33 was a dynamic hitter last year. And that guy is almost certainly roided up.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
In Year 1, sure.

It's a 6-year deal.

You're paying $100 million for his age 34-37 years in a sport where one guy over age 33 was a dynamic hitter last year. And that guy is almost certainly roided up.

Well I think the front office is banking on Springer to still be a productive player for the first half of the deal. Not that it means anything but he doesn't seem like the type of player that should just turn into a pumpkin at the stroke of midnight on his 32nd birthday but who know. Even if he's not mashing 30+ HR with an OPS over .900 he contributes positively in a lot of other areas that the Jays need help with.

Maybe it will turn out terrible but right now us Jays fans are pretty happy about it and rightfully so. Not our money so don't really care what he makes, the rest of the team aside from Ryu is making nothing.

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
Rogers is one of my most despised companies here in Canada but I gotta give them props on this one. Outbidding someone like Steve Cohen for a player Springer's caliber is no easy task
Rogers is going to screw everyone for a long time. This is why they can afford the term.
:joker:

Yeah I saw that. Interesting to note, if they get him, log jam in the outfield. Apparently would use those of's as trade chip to get a starter. Too bad Houston has none to trade, would have wanted to get Gurriel to reunite the brothers.
Would Brantley be a full-time DH?

Wow. I’m stunned. Springer is exactly who we need on this team and I don’t hate that contract at all. 6/150 is a lot obviously but not outrageous.

Would still love another quality rotation arm and maybe some more bullpen help but like the direction of this team.

Have no idea how the line up and positions will work out but here’s my shot at it.

1 - Springer CF
2 - Bo SS
3 - Gurriel LF
4 - Vladdy 1B
5 - Teoscar OF
6 - Grichuk RF
7 - Rowdy DH
8 - Jansen C
9 - Biggio 2B/3B

We have too many outfielders and need another infielder. Bo is probably better suited at 2B so finding a rock solid SS in the field would be ideal. Biggio can play anywhere and I put him in the 9 hole in the lineup to be a 2nd lead off man since he’s an OBP machine.

A couple of tweaks but there’s a lot to like about that lineup. Marine if Vladdy can play close to his potential
I want Bauer. I know, dreamers can dream, and this is who I have wanted all along this off-season. He would add some swagger to this team that I think would put them over the top.

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
I like the Springer signing... I don't like the idea of paying Springer and Grichuk a combined 35 million per season

Signing Grichuk to that contract was a mistake at the time, and it only looks worse in hindsight as his salary could've been put towards signing a top of the rotation FA pitcher

Last edited:
Reactions: TheTotalPackage

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
I like the Springer signing... I don't like the idea of paying Springer and Grichuk a combined 40 million per season

Signing Grichuk to that contract was a mistake at the time, and it only looks worse in hindsight as his salary could've been put towards signing a top of the rotation FA pitcher

Doesnt Grichuk only make $10 mil? Either way I get your point and I agree. If Jays can unload him and use that money for pitching then it’s much better spent

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
Doesnt Grichuk only make $10 mil? Either way I get your point and I agree. If Jays can unload him and use that money for pitching then it’s much better spent

Yeah, you're right... I'm not sure why I thought it was 15

habamillions

Jul 9, 2009
Ottawa
Jose Bautista's bat didn't get going until he waa 30. He regressed in his late 30's. But usually yes bats begin to decline once they hit 30. Springer to me reminds me more of a joey bats. Took longer for him to become elite

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Jays window of being competitive is starting to open up. Springer should be good for the first half of this contract and we really needed a standout in CF and at the top of the order. I don’t think the contract is all that overpaid at all but it’s definitely a year or two longer than what I would have liked but that’s what you had to do to get him.

Its not far off from Russell Martins contract. Everyone knew the last year or two would be bad, but he was paid for the first half of the deal and certainly lived up to it.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Its not far off from Russell Martins contract. Everyone knew the last year or two would be bad, but he was paid for the first half of the deal and certainly lived up to it.

Yeah, I think that's a great comparable actually. Especially since catcher at the time was such a position of need at the time when we got Martin. This time around we need a steady CF with tools who can lead off and show some of these young guys the ropes.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
What's that sound? I thought I heard Blue Jays fans en masse wetting their pants with the signing of Springer.:D;)

Seriously, as a Yankee fan, he's been a killer for a long time, so, good signing. The cheaters are breaking up, slowly but surely.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Just like the Blue Jays did giving Springer 6 years, the Mets also tried to sign him to a 6 year contract. However they offer was for $120-$125 million. Plus from what I have read it seemed that Toronto was Springers first choice.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Just like the Blue Jays did giving Springer 6 years, the Mets also tried to sign him to a 6 year contract. However they offer was for $120-$125 million. Plus from what I have read it seemed that Toronto was Springers first choice.

I heard Mets were in the $110 range but only 5 years and the extra year is what sealed it for Toronto. But also I think once they got Lindor Springer became a bit of an afterthought

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Too much for a guy on the wrong side of 30 but that offense is legit.

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
Springer
Biggio
Buchette
Hernandez
Guerrero
Grischek
Tellez
Jansen / Kirk
Gurriel

I am very happy with that batting order.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad