The Columbus Dispatch: George Richards has been hired

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Dispatch hired George Richards as their lead reporter
They seem to have also added Steve Gorten. Basically, the Panthers beat writers that got laid off earlier are now writing for the Dispatch.

EDIT: Tweets on this board are easy; just copy-paste the link.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
We're in a good place for CBJ content. Richards is a great beat writer and we still have Porty and Reed at the athletic. Good times to be a CBJ fan

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Glad to see the Dispatch is going to continue their coverage. IMO, which most did not share, it was very stale with the old group. Hopefully these two will be able to focus more on factual journalism and less on op-ed. AP is heavily focused on op-ed, which is hard for me to follow. I come here for opinion.

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
Props to the Dispatch for following through. And I look forward to having two outlets with in-depth coverage of the Jackets, something that's never really existed with this team before. Means we can get coverage whenever Portzline starts rambling about Zenon Konopka now.

Reactions: CBJWennberg10

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I've been thinking about this,but where has Richards been? Gorten has been covering the CBJ to the extent I thought Richards would. He posts tweets every now and then, but its stating the obvious stuff (Jackets win 1-0 on a goal by Anderson. Shutout #4 for Bob kind of stuff). No articles, no press conference questions, nothing

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
During the CBJ Florida swing a while back, Gorten followed the team and went to grab a few things out of his Florida house to bring back to Columbus. He was driving. He got bit by a spider. When it started to get inflamed, he went to a clinic in Tampa. They gave him some topical stuff and was told to see somebody in Columbus if it wasn't better when he got home. It wasn't. He did.

I guess somebody at Riverside darn near had a heart attack when they saw it upon his return. They rushed him into surgery to alleviate the swelling and he almost lost his leg. He is on the slow mend back.

I'm not proud that I know all of this. Arace and the other dood spend the back half of a PuckRakers podcast sharing this out. I guess they call Gorten Spiderman now. I came to the podcast to hear about hockey and it seemed about half of it was this story. I'm not heartless. I do care about other people. Given the staff changes, I wanted to keep giving these guys a chance. I'm not impressed with the new Dispatch team. Sorry about his owie. Get better.

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
Your not remember all the times they’ed talk abou Konopka for hours on end.

I really like Gorten. May very well be cancelling my subscription to the Athletic, it’s a little too dudebroey for me.

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
Your not remember all the times they’ed talk abou Konopka for hours on end.

I really like Gorten. May very well be cancelling my subscription to the Athletic, it’s a little too dudebroey for me.
Hedger is good too, following those two guys is enough for me, Porty is not reporting anything these guys aren't.

Wow about Richards, he shared that story about spider bite on twitter, of course, but not that it went that far.

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit

To oversimply things, some of the things they said in this article:

Why The Athletic Wants to Pillage Newspapers

really rubbed me the wrong way. Apparently, I'm much more of a supporter of newspapers then Portzline appears to be. I also have a completely irrational dislike of Rob Mixer due to filling my twitter with "OU OH YEAH!" and random pictures of groceries back in the day when he worked for the team and the coverage options were far more limited.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
To oversimply things, some of the things they said in this article:

Why The Athletic Wants to Pillage Newspapers

really rubbed me the wrong way. Apparently, I'm much more of a supporter of newspapers then Portzline appears to be. I also have a completely irrational dislike of Rob Mixer due to filling my twitter with "OU OH YEAH!" and random pictures of groceries back in the day when he worked for the team and the coverage options were far more limited.
Oh. I blithely ignored the nonsense in that article; I care only about the articles I get from the service itself, and they seem just fine to me.

Reactions: JohnnyJacket13

Lumbus

Nov 25, 2016
Porty and Reed >> than Dispatch hockey writers. Plus Alison Luken articles have been a bonus.

In addition to this, I’ve really enjoyed the in-depth analysis into all aspects of the game from guys like Justin Bourne. I’ve learned a lot about the sport

Reactions: MoeBartoli

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad