News Article: George Gund III (founder/original owner of San Jose Sharks) dead at 75

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
http://www.mercurynews.com/sharks/c...iii-original-san-jose-sharks-owner?source=rss

Lots of tweets too.

sjsharkie 3:49pm via Twitter for iPhone Sad for the loss of a great man, friend and boss, without whom there would be no San Jose Sharks! Thank you George. pic.twitter.com/6mXGbOS6

Bakes_Jamie13 11:49am via web
Sad news to hear about the passing of George Gund. He was a good man and owner who truly loved hockey. Rest in Peace George.

Neil Smith ‏@nycneil
George Gund III did an enormous amount for USA hockey and will be very, very sadly missed.

Nighthock

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jul 25, 2007
Nevada
Thank you, George ... THANK YOU

20130115_033226_gund_300.jpg

(still the coolest eyebrows I have ever seen)

george-gund-iii.jpg

Zeroz

Frightened Inmate #2
Jul 20, 2011
Oregon
Sucks that he had to witness another lockout before passing. :(
Thank you for this organization and R.I.P George Gund III

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
Is it just me, or does the article title "Sharks' original owner Gund dies" seem really blunt? Don't media reports/articles usually use euphemisms like "passes away"?

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Terrible to hear. I owe him a lot more than most people living in BC. Thanks for giving me a team to cheer for and the resultant great group of people I've met through HF.

Is it just me, or does the article title "Sharks' original owner Gund dies" seem really blunt? Don't media reports/articles usually use euphemisms like "passes away"?

I'll make sure that the article about you says "WTFetus: He dead, yo." :sarcasm:

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
NHL Tonight included a segment (with video of him dropping puck between Marleau and Rangers' Drury) on his death.

bluefunnel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 30, 2005
Sad to hear.

He brought something very special to a lot of us and that will always be appreciated.

sturm_und_drang

Aug 2, 2005
Sunnyvale
Thank you George!

He was so open and approachable, I always said "thank you" when I saw him at games, he always said "thank you" back with that great big smile of his - I'll miss seeing him around.

Eid Ma Clack Shaw

Jul 5, 2007
San Jose, CA
Rest in peace. Definitely wouldn't have been a team in San Jose without him. I never met the man, but you get the general sense that he gave a crap about the sport unlike most owners involved with this league. Won't be forgotten.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Just came to extend my sympathies to you fans, and your organization.

After the Leafs, I'm a big Sharks fan. SJ is my team in the west, and always has been. George Gund III will be missed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad