Geoff Molson - Eh What's Up Doc Edition

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
On the Radiotelethon Annual Edition, Geoff avoiding a tough question (as usual) from Miss Machabée with the aim of distracting the audiance by honoring her with a jersey

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
I didn't have a problem with Cunneyworth as an interim coach. The guy paid his dues and deserved a shot.

I do have a problem with Molson capitulating to a small group of loudmouths and metaphorically severing one of his own limbs in the process. Winning should always be the first priority.
Winning $ is Molson's first priority. If it wasn't gainful being the MC Owner, he'd never invested his money into it.

Reactions: FF de Mars

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Winning $ is Molson's first priority. If it wasn't gainful being the MC Owner, he'd never invested his money into it.

Sure, not many will disagree. There's an awful lot more money to be made winning playoff rounds and naturally the Cup, however.

Winning more will always generate more profit than winning less.

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
I loved Larry Smith's (ex-Als prez) take today on Montreal sports teams. Essentially said said that you need to win NOW in Montreal, because that's how the fans are in this market in ANY sport.

He said losing is a very delicate situation for any pro sports franchise in Montreal, and he included the Habs.

Molson will need to win next season because next season will be the threshold in my book.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
I loved Larry Smith's (ex-Als prez) take today on Montreal sports teams. Essentially said said that you need to win NOW in Montreal, because that's how the fans are in this market in ANY sport.

He said losing is a very delicate situation for any pro sports franchise in Montreal, and he included the Habs.

Molson will need to win next season because next season will be the threshold in my book.

this narrative is so overblown and not accurate.

Habs have been mediocre or worse more years than not in the past 20 years... soon to be 9/20 with no playoffs and only 9 playoff wins in 20 years.

has not had an averse affect on fandom, revenue, or attendance.

ppl said the same thing about Toronto. Shannahan came in with a plan, had no fear of dismantling and rebuilding, laffs nation is happier than its been in decades.

NY, Boston, Philly, LA... there are tons of markets with intense fans accross the sports landscape. These types of markets, like ours for hockey, have more flexibility and freedom to take a long-term approach that involves "tanking" or "rebuilding" precisely because the fan/corporate support is so strong that sucking doesn't make the same kind of dent on revenue that it does in periphery markets.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
Indeed the big problem is that Molson has no idea how hockey works. Hes 2 stupid to see that Bergevin is literally abusing him and that hes just ''making low level goals'' to keep him hired.

The true problem starts at the top. Molson need to GTFO as Operation hockey and let someone (kinda young and not a old dinosaur) To change his entire ORG.

->Molson Top
-> NEW President hockey operations
-> Fires Bergevin to find someone who understand modern hockey
-> If Julien miss playoffs next season goodbye , put Ducharme whos been working with team canada past years.

after all that
You can remove all the garbage grinding players that plays on all lines and put players where they belong to.
Molson been constanly attached to his favorite toy. Without respite. He just wanna to grow up his name and his business. In overall. He's surronded by yesmans and its close friends. It'll not hurt him if he acquires a new Operation hockey guy. By any means...

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca

LS is biased from his Alouette days cuz he's comparing apples to oranges.

There's literally nothing else in terms of major pro sports in Montreal. MLS is still niche (for Montreal specifically) compared to hockey. Habs reign supreme. They could go 5 years drafting top 5 and they'd easily survive. Chicago did even worst, starting in an era where the Bulls were taking up all the attention in winter and spring, on top of all the other major sports team, including two baseball clubs.

Maybe Larry is pitching for a job with the Habs. Giving them the ole 'I got what it takes to peddle BS' routine.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native

There's literally nothing else in terms of major pro sports in Montreal. MLS is still niche (for Montreal specifically) compared to hockey. Habs reign supreme. They could go 5 years drafting top 5 and they'd easily survive. Chicago did even worst, starting in an era where the Bulls were taking up all the attention in winter and spring, on top of all the other major sports team, including two baseball clubs.

Maybe Larry is pitching for a job with the Habs. Giving them the ole 'I got what it takes to peddle BS' routine.
As a Redskins fan, I have been steeled against foolish presumptions. The Redskins have been trying to win the offseason since the beginning of Daniel Snyder's ownership. They been stuck in mediocrity and have yet to climb out. WIN NOW MEANS WIN NEVER. An actual win now move presumes the team has a solid foundation of winning players and you just need one "gap filler" or two to complete the team. A team with no TRULY ELITE players at the most critical positions is not f***ing winning a championship.

The Cubs were the loser baseball team in Chicago but they finally won the World Series.

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017

He's a senator now and looks oooold. Don't think he needs to peddle anything.

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
Or maybe it's just a way of life...

My mom used to be his secretary back in the 80's after he retired from football. She had nothing great to say about him, to stay polite. Met him a few times as a kid.
Oh, good to know. He was a bad man? Bad boss? Was he Joe Biden-like? Seems the type, hehehe.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Oh, good to know. He was a bad man? Bad boss? Was he Joe Biden-like? Seems the type, hehehe.

Not gonna go into details. Just.. I mean, he's a senator and you say he doesn't need to peddle BS anymore... I say, well isn't he where you have to peddle BS the most? That's where all the ~best~ of them end-up, or am I being too cynical.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
Molson and his ownership group can't even admit or recognize that Geoff is over his head as a cameo hockey man.

Go cut ribbons Geoff, sell condos and try the marijuana that will go into your next beer project, but please, leave hockey decisions to real hockey people. Ya putz.
Why being a snake over the person who give them their due. Even when they're wrong. Without him, nobody would take them. That's hypocrisy on their part. I'm not defending those in case tho. Molson and his family is a disgrace toward the Montreal Canadiens. All the misery came from themselves. If I was the main decision-maker I'd send an court order against the Geoff's &...

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Why being a snake over the person who give them their due. Even when they're wrong. Without him, nobody would take them. That's hypocrisy on their part. I'm not defending those in case tho. Molson and his family is a disgrace toward the Montreal Canadiens. All the misery came from themselves. If I was the main decision-maker I'd send an court order against the Geoff's &...

I'm sure there are worse owners out there. Thing is, Geoff is an amiable guy and his ownership group will be around for the long haul. It's just that he can't seem to understand that he's wearing too many hats and he's not really savvy enough as the hockey guy he's trying too hard to be.

Reactions: Tyson

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
I'm sure there are worse owners out there. Thing is, Geoff is an amiable guy and his ownership group will be around for the long haul. It's just that he can't seem to understand that he's wearing too many hats and he's not really savvy enough as the hockey guy he's trying too hard to be.

Molson is just as unqualified to be President of Hockey Ops and he is to head up SETI. In both cases he wouldn't be able to recognize intelligence.

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
Molson is just as unqualified to be President of Hockey Ops and he is to head up SETI. In both cases he wouldn't be able to recognize intelligence.

Or he's a businessman and dont want to lose a large amount of money.

For example, Im sure in his own mind he recognizes his mistake of locking up Bergevin long-term too soon. But slacking MB means a possibility the next GM wants to pick his own coach. Julien is 5 million per season. Bergevin I have no idea but at least a few millions too, dont think it's five though.

Still, you're looking at a what? 20+ million dollars disappearing from their pockets to buy out only those two. Then you have Mellanby, Churla, Crawford, Carriere, assistants etc. Even Timmins may be deemed replaceable by a new front office. Trainers, doctors, technical staff will mostly remain but that's a lot of people to break employment contracts with.
I think the BoD wait out MB's deal. Why lose potential dozen(s) of millions for something that's no guarantee to do better than the statu quo? Put yourself in an investor's state of mind instead of a fan's one. You wouldn't do the same?

Especially when you see the promising drafting in recent years full of prospects getting things done at various levels. Brook, Suzuki, Kotkaniemi, Poehling. Domi and Tatar the newcomers are loved by the public. Mark Whalberg even shouts the Tatarrrrr meme on Instagram while hanging out with Tie. In terms of public-relations, things are going well right now. You have the future to sell to the fans and the crowd-favorite vets like Gally, Price and Weber are still selling jerseys. You dont clean house in this situation.

My point is I dont think Molson and the BoD are dumb. They are just more businessmen then they are fans. And that's precisely none of our business, unfortunately for us who see that some draconian measures would be needed for the Habs to have more chance to win a championship. But it is what it is, a chance and you dont plan your billion dollar business based on something that all things equal has 1/31 probability to happen.

If they focus on the draft a lot like the recent years then Im not necessarily against the patient approach. It's what they shouldve done since the beginning but at least now they ARE doing it. We are cumulating sexy assets instead of selling busts at their lowest point.

Reactions: FF de Mars

FF de Mars

Mar 2, 2002
42 rue Fontaine
If I ever go in politics for the NPD, I would try to make them have this platform: nationatize all of Canada's nhl teams. It would actually work, unless there's a legal clause; then you alternate who's tanking and contending; and, you make profits.

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary

The more a team wins, the more money it makes. Making profit is not the same as making the maximum profit. Not spending to the cap when you can afford to is not a great strategy.

Reactions: Runner77

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
The more a team wins, the more money it makes. Making profit is not the same as making the maximum profit. Not spending to the cap when you can afford to is not a great strategy.
For Molson and & the sports aspect isn't superior to the rest. The businesses he and they implemented in the city of Montreal is what they care. Winning is all the fortune everybody want on sports. But for our responsibles it ain't. The MC is a rich brand who's gaining millions of dollars anyway. Tbh, they're all wrong...

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Or he's a businessman and dont want to lose a large amount of money.

For example, Im sure in his own mind he recognizes his mistake of locking up Bergevin long-term too soon. But slacking MB means a possibility the next GM wants to pick his own coach. Julien is 5 million per season. Bergevin I have no idea but at least a few millions too, dont think it's five though.

Still, you're looking at a what? 20+ million dollars disappearing from their pockets to buy out only those two. Then you have Mellanby, Churla, Crawford, Carriere, assistants etc. Even Timmins may be deemed replaceable by a new front office. Trainers, doctors, technical staff will mostly remain but that's a lot of people to break employment contracts with.
I think the BoD wait out MB's deal. Why lose potential dozen(s) of millions for something that's no guarantee to do better than the statu quo? Put yourself in an investor's state of mind instead of a fan's one. You wouldn't do the same?

Especially when you see the promising drafting in recent years full of prospects getting things done at various levels. Brook, Suzuki, Kotkaniemi, Poehling. Domi and Tatar the newcomers are loved by the public. Mark Whalberg even shouts the Tatarrrrr meme on Instagram while hanging out with Tie. In terms of public-relations, things are going well right now. You have the future to sell to the fans and the crowd-favorite vets like Gally, Price and Weber are still selling jerseys. You dont clean house in this situation.

My point is I dont think Molson and the BoD are dumb. They are just more businessmen then they are fans. And that's precisely none of our business, unfortunately for us who see that some draconian measures would be needed for the Habs to have more chance to win a championship. But it is what it is, a chance and you dont plan your billion dollar business based on something that all things equal has 1/31 probability to happen.

If they focus on the draft a lot like the recent years then Im not necessarily against the patient approach. It's what they shouldve done since the beginning but at least now they ARE doing it. We are cumulating sexy assets instead of selling busts at their lowest point.

To put things in perspective, one of the main reasons the Habs have underperformed is because they have a beer magnate overseeing Hockey Ops. That doesn't speak well to Molson's own leadership, as he can't admit he's awful at that job.

That awful job he's doing is exactly why Bergevin got an absurd extension before the contract he was on had even expired. He also gave Bergevin carte blanche to sign and re-sign all those buddies, sychophants and do-nothings.

Reactions: zeeto and Runner77

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad