Local sports coverage talk (the Athletic/Local TV/TBN/WGR/Charging Buffalo/LGA, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Hoppe

Nobody else

No thanks. Hoppe's popularity is largely premised on his ability to almost never say anything controversial. On more occasions than not, he thumbs his nose at analytics, and he's definitely adopted many of Old Time Hockey's core principles. Oh, and he's not a particularly good writer.

I hope they go outside the city with some of the hires for Sabres coverage.

BuffaloGooner

Sep 8, 2011
Sloan, NY
Baker would be my choice given his extensive prospect knowledge but I’m not sure if he’d venture into covering the big squad full time.

My 2nd vote would be Yerdon. He’s class.

Reactions: Mr Meeseeks

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
We have such a poor crop to choose from. Either generic boilerplate writers who give you the AP special or old clowns who somehow seem to know less about the sport, let alone the franchise, with each passing word. Barely any decent actual writers on top of that.

Buddlee

Apr 15, 2018
Anybody but Harrington Gleason or Sullivan.
http://:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:/buluhidung/67/d.png
http://:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:/buluhidung/46/d.png

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
I wonder if Mirtle taps into some of the Toronto/Southern Ontario talent that hasn't yet broken through in that saturated market. It makes you realize how bad our local writers are when you don't want any of them to jump ship to The Athletic.

Quiet Jack

Mar 24, 2017
Oh please those guys are both in that range for sure. They have been on that station for for like 15 years just on that time slot.
There is no way bulldog is anywhere near 6 figures. I guess I could see Schopp being in that neighborhood.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
I’d be surprised if any of them are.

I have known fm djs in much smaller markets that made in the high 70s with similar career lengths.

Radio pays like three positions and one of them is the flagship show hosts. I bet Howard Simon is the highest paid personality and is around 100k. Bulldog and Schopp have similar time in with Bulldog the senior, probably around 85-95. White the newest, let’s say 75k.

And everyone else makes squat, less than 50 for the main producers, less than 40 for the night time and weekend young guys that are hustling and grinding for the other shows.

I would be shocked if wgr doesn’t do well. They have a monopoly on public media sports talk for basically all of western ny, from Jamestown to Rochester. They are affiliated with every major team. They have a large advertising base.

So unless, their ownership is squeezing them dry and they just keeping taking sub-market deals, I bet the top guys flirt with 6 figures.

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
According to this, median salary for a talk radio show host is about $44k annually, with a range of $25-$92k.

Radio Show Host Salary

Also says it varies mostly by geography. I would expect salaries in a lower cost-of-living market like Buffalo would probably be on the lower end of the scale.

GameMisconduct

Jul 20, 2006
I think Yerdon has some potential. I actually would prefer him to Hoppe by a fairly decent margin, though I could live with Hoppe.

If the coverage is good, I would shell out for it.

Just for the love of all that is good and right in the world keep P. Ham far far far away.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad