Not guaranteed but probable.

Canada 16
Finland 15
United States 13
Slovakia 12
------------------------------------
France 9

US plays Switzerland

Finland is done and Slovakia plays France.

Theoretically the US could still finish 1st and knock off Canada, but that'd take a minor miracle.

A Slovak regulation win and US loss to Switzerland would mean the US is in 4th. A Slovak OT win and US regulation loss does the same. A US win and it's Finland again.

PhysicalGraffiti

Bolts STM
Jul 26, 2007
NY to TB
I went through a few pages and looked around, but figured if you guys didn't mind it would be faster to just ask.

What is the deal with rosters for this?

I was thinking it was only players not in the playoffs, but then I saw Jimmy Howard in net.

Can anyone give me a quick rundown of how the rosters work for the Championship? Thanks in advance.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
I went through a few pages and looked around, but figured if you guys didn't mind it would be faster to just ask.

I was thinking it was only players not in the playoffs, but then I saw Jimmy Howard in net.

Can anyone give me a quick rundown of how the rosters work for the Championship? Thanks in advance.

Huh?

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC

For Canada and the US, rosters are mostly comprised of players on teams who missed the NHL playoffs. Some players are added after their teams are eliminated from the playoffs though. The European teams have a lot of players from outside the NHL.

magic school bus

Jun 4, 2010
San Jose, CA

A lot of people declined -- that's basically it. And as you can see, quite a few good American players are still left in the playoffs (and unavailable to play in a tournament in Finland).

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
When is the deadline to finish adding roster players? I wouldn't mind bringing in a forward in case there's an injury, or bringing in a defenseman to occupy that #7 spot.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
When is the deadline to finish adding roster players? I wouldn't mind bringing in a forward in case there's an injury, or bringing in a defenseman to occupy that #7 spot.

I believe that time has now passed...

once the prelim round is over, you cannot add anyone else to the roster, so what we have is what we are going to battle with...

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Very strong team. Excellent tournament for the US, on whole.

27 points coming from the blueliners.

Good stuff.

Still, despite the 5-0 win over Finland, it is going to be SOME KIND of difficult defeating them again in what may be a sold out arena Thursday night. Always difficult to defeat a team twice in the same tournament.

That said, the pressure is definitely on the reigning champs, Finland. Not easy living up to expectations of this nature, especially when the opponent simply has the better team.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
hopefully our blueline doesnt tighten up too much and continues to push the play up the ice and creates offense for us. Finland simply had no answer for the way we moved the puck up the ice, once we get timid it starts to get ugly.

I want our defense to play responsibly, but they need to pinch in a lot and take chances for us to be successful..

this will be a hard fought came in a packed house...this is why these guys came to play here, this is going to be a playoff atmosphere. you couldnt ask for anything better as an American player in this tourney. beat the home team and send them and their fans home crying! a lot of motivation to be had here.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Big win tonight.

I think they're very capable of beating Finland.

Considering they just did pretty convincingly a couple days ago, I'm inclined to agree with you. ;)

But of course anything can happen the second time around. Though the Americans tend to have good history in games against the Finns.

PhysicalGraffiti

Bolts STM
Jul 26, 2007
NY to TB

Jimmy Howard playing goal for the US...yet the Wings were in the playoffs.

For Canada and the US, rosters are mostly comprised of players on teams who missed the NHL playoffs. Some players are added after their teams are eliminated from the playoffs though. The European teams have a lot of players from outside the NHL.

And bingo, that answered my question.

Some players can be added after teams are eliminated, but after a certain round as another poster pointed out.

Thanks alot guys.

Frank Booth

Feb 13, 2008
Lumberton, USA
I believe that time has now passed...

once the prelim round is over, you cannot add anyone else to the roster, so what we have is what we are going to battle with...

I'm not sure about that. Sweden added Sundin for the semis against the US in 2004. That was the last time we won a medal, bronze. So unless the IIHF has changed their rules, as long as a roster spot is open, a player can be registered.

Edit: Yep, I'm correct, players can be added anytime during the tournament until the rosters are full. http://www.iihf.com/competition/272/homeiihf/player-entry.html

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
Jimmy Howard playing goal for the US...yet the Wings were in the playoffs.

And bingo, that answered my question.

Some players can be added after teams are eliminated, but after a certain round as another poster pointed out.

Thanks alot guys.

The wings were out of the playoffs by the time the tournament started. It usually starts after the first round.

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly
Considering they just did pretty convincingly a couple days ago, I'm inclined to agree with you. ;)

But of course anything can happen the second time around. Though the Americans tend to have good history in games against the Finns.
You know what I meant!! ;)

And yes, Olympics semis, and World juniors quarters I believe are two that stick out in my head

Dynheart

Aug 21, 2011
I don't know what to think. USA plays great with the puck. Awesome forechecking. Great speed, I actually think they are the fastest team in the to make the QFs, if not, the entire tournement.

But their defense is not great (it's their 2-way plays that make up for the lack of quality defensemen/defensive play). They are horrible, I mean HORRIBLE, without the puck. Once they lose it, it's like all five guys chase the puck at once (in their own end...offensive zone and nutural zone they play well). You basiclly have 2-3 open guys in the slot.

Howard is starting to look more himself; making the big saves and whatnot. The goals he lets up he really can't do any thing about (Braun and company needs fix their coverage).

The Middle paragraph is my concern, and it's huge.

The way I see it right now. The Forwards are clicking, in their own end/nutural ice (need help in defensive zone, although they at least back check). I'm shocked at how well they meshed together. Natural chemistry? I also like how just about everybody scored except the goalies (slackers)...It's like anybody can be a threat. That's a good perk to have.

Howard has been great (Slovakia game aside), and looks to be getting better with each game. Doesn't face many shots, which rattle a lot of goalies, but he seems to be performing just fine; which is good. He makes the key saves, and wins. That's all that matters.

Defense? Oh god the defense. Let's hope Howard holds the fort. That's all we can hope for at this point. Flashes of brilliance doesn't equal out to progress.

Mash it together and as an average, you have a team that's overall just solid. Flawed, but still tough to beat.

This is my take so far on the team. Go USA! :handclap:

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
If Scott Gordon is anywhere near another US team in the future I will throw the biggest ****ing temper tantrum you've ever seen.

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
At least we had a few really talented players emerge. We should have some nice options next year and at the Olympics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad