General roguelik/te thread

That Habs Fan

Nov 29, 2008
Toronto
I looked as best I can (thanks broken search function!) for a thread similar to this and didn't succeed.

I pretty much only play roguelik/tes these days, and wanted a place on this silly board to discuss em.

What's everyone playing these days/looking forward to?

Like everyone else in the world I've been incredibly hooked on Balatro, but I recently have been getting back into Undermine (very underrated imho, top 3 non deckbuilder roguelikes for me) since the sequel was recently announced.

Am really looking forward to all the sequels to the greats (Hades 2/Undermine 2/Slay the Spire 2) and Motion Twin's new one.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
I'm a big fan of Mega Man X, so I've been playing 30XX which is a MMX inspired roguelike/platformer.

Runs are nice and short at 20-50 minutes.

The game has a good system where you're challenged to keep adding more difficulty modifiers to your runs, which gives the game some legs despite the fact that you're facing the same 10 stage types and bosses over and over again.

It has a really fun risk/reward type items that change things up, I like to load up on these and see what happens.

But most importantly they nailed the platforming and the controls, they're super precise and responsive.

I liked 20XX a lot - but the uninspired graphics, forgettable bosses and lack of content were serious drawbacks. This game managed to fix all those issues.

Reactions: That Habs Fan

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
By hours played on Steam my list goes

Darkest Dungeon
Tales of Maj'Eyal (the one classic Rogue-like I got into)
Rogue Legacy 2
Hades
Slay the Spire
FTL

After sitting in my backlog for so long finally got into Slay the Spire recently, liked it but much prefer Darkest Dungeon. The best thing these two have in common is their openness to mods, as while the base game is great I love rolling through the Dungeon with a party of Gatts (Berserk), Geralt, Eddard Stark, and Link, or something like that.

Roguelike/Metroidvania's tend to take up much of my gaming time between longer grand strategy and RPG's.

Hierso

Time to Rock
Oct 2, 2018
For all the PC people out there. Hades 2 just dropped into Early Access

While i really loved the first game i'll probably wait for the complete product.

By hours played on Steam my list goes

Darkest Dungeon
Tales of Maj'Eyal (the one classic Rogue-like I got into)
Rogue Legacy 2
Hades
Slay the Spire
FTL

After sitting in my backlog for so long finally got into Slay the Spire recently, liked it but much prefer Darkest Dungeon. The best thing these two have in common is their openness to mods, as while the base game is great I love rolling through the Dungeon with a party of Gatts (Berserk), Geralt, Eddard Stark, and Link, or something like that.

Roguelike/Metroidvania's tend to take up much of my gaming time between longer grand strategy and RPG's.

Gordian Quest might be worth looking into when it's on sale. It's pretty fun if you use the Rouge-like mechanics. If you don't it's pretty much a card-game RPG. Solo runs is the most fun because they don't last for ages.

Druid is broken as shit tho in bear form.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
I just didn’t get the love for Hades 1, and I actually bought it around release. I’m not super anti-rogue like anymore, I consider Dead Cells a good game and beat a couple play throughs. I just can’t shake the feeling that it (Hades) gets so much love from the press because it’s a big indie developer that’s pro-this or that issue. Hades 2 already received a 10/10 from IGN and it’s not even out yet.

I don’t see any press being given to “no rest for the wicked” despite being another big indie dev in early access. Coincidently they got bad press years back for not being explicitly pro-this or that issue.

Last edited:

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I just didn’t get the love for Hades 1, and I actually bought it around release. I’m not super anti-rogue like anymore, I consider Dead Cells a good game and beat a couple play throughs. I just can’t shake the feeling that it (Hades) gets so much love from the press because it’s a big indie developer that’s pro-this or that issue. Hades 2 already received a 10/10 from IGN and it’s not even out yet.

I don’t see any press being given to “no rest for the wicked” despite being another big indie dev in early access. Coincidently they got bad press years back for not being explicitly pro-this or that issue.
I didn't get the love for Hades, either, but it didn't just come from the press. It has a 98% from 235K reviews on Steam, so actual gamers love it, too. There's something about it that really appeals to people. That, in turn, might even led to more praise from the press, including that 10/10 for the sequel, since they may not be able to resist pandering to gamers who are so enthusiastic about it.

Meanwhile, No Rest for the Wicked has only a 78% on Steam, so it appears to be a good but flawed game. There are so many of those, though, and so few with 98% scores after4 years. It doesn't seem surprising to me that there's such difference in press. Maybe there is some bias for or against the developers, but I imagine that it's a minor factor compared to the popularity of the games, themselves.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad