OT: General OT Thread #44 - The World is Still Turning

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
Hopefully the ND sentiment and political environment changes for the better sometime soon.
I’m hoping so as well. Honestly, what I wanna do is, I want to move deeper into Minnesota and away from the Dakotas. Problem is I own a mobile home with a mortgage on it that is far from being paid off. so I either have to sell the home and take a huge loss that I’ll somehow have to eat, or somehow get the funds needed to relocate the mobile home to a completely new location.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Indianapolis has a nice zoo. It's small (we spent 4 hours there and did it in about 6k steps) and easy to navigate (basically a loop). It has a stingray/shark petting tank.

The kangaroo enclosure was the highlight for the wife. She got to pet a kangaroo (it's soft like a bunny) that came up to us. We couldn't pet the baby roo (it was his first day in the yard) that was really interested in my shoes. The enclosure is one where you walk a concrete path though their habitat. If they come onto the concrete path you can pet them. Zookeepers are in there and keeping an eye on things. The one told us how and where to pet the kangaroo when he came on to the path see us.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
If anyone has a craving for Greek food, i highly recommend Gyropolis in Bloomington. Everything is good... The Eggplant dip in particular is great, and i'm a guy who is lukewarm on eggplant.

They are expanding this spring, making t much bigger, and presumably, with expanded hours.

Reactions: Minnewildsota

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
So, I watched Lord of the Rings - Return of the King the other day with my nephew. Near the end of the movie after Frodo and Sam threw the ring into the fires of Mount Doom, all was thought lost -- until they were rescued by the giant eagles.

I've seen this movie more than once, but after this viewing my nephew asked me why didn't the eagles just carry Sam and Frodo from the Shire to Mount Doom so they could safely throw in the ring and return them safely back to the Shire in the same day, rather than them having to walk all the way?

He has a point.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
So, I watched Lord of the Rings - Return of the King the other day with my nephew. Near the end of the movie after Frodo and Sam threw the ring into the fires of Mount Doom, all was thought lost -- until they were rescued by the giant eagles.

I've seen this movie more than once, but after this viewing my nephew asked me why didn't the eagles just carry Sam and Frodo from the Shire to Mount Doom so they could safely throw in the ring and return them safely back to the Shire in the same day, rather than them having to walk all the way?

He has a point.
I always assumed it was because the eagles would be influenced by the ring's presence.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010

He has a point.

I always assumed it was because the eagles would be influenced by the ring's presence.

It’s been a hot minute since I’ve read the books but if I remember correctly, there’s a few aspects that come into play:

1) the eagles don’t like to interfere with the affairs of “man”.
2) they’re the noblest, or purist, of creatures - This coincides with number one because if they had helped with the ring it would bring Sauron’s gaze upon the eagles. Potentially wiping them out or corrupting them.
3) Self preservation - goes with the reasoning of 2. Sauron still had the Nazgûl, who had drakes or whatever the f*** they rode lol.

Reactions: BagHead and MuckOG

Sweetnut

Sponsor
Mar 19, 2023
It’s been a hot minute since I’ve read the books but if I remember correctly, there’s a few aspects that come into play:

1) the eagles don’t like to interfere with the affairs of “man”.
2) they’re the noblest, or purist, of creatures - This coincides with number one because if they had helped with the ring it would bring Sauron’s gaze upon the eagles. Potentially wiping them out or corrupting them.
3) Self preservation - goes with the reasoning of 2. Sauron still had the Nazgûl, who had drakes or whatever the f*** they rode lol.
I finished re-reading the trilogy just last week, and this is pretty much it.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN

He has a point.
When you read the books, the Eagles like to keep themselves out of the business of others. It takes a lot to get them to do anything to help anyone besides themselves. They hate orcs though in particular which is why Gandalf can get help from them on rare occasion. When the Eagles join the fray in a battle etc, it's a pretty notable event though, as they're not just going to do so on a whim, or just because everyone else thinks they should.

They like to keep within their ranges of the east side of the misty mountains for the most part.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Well I just did a dumb thing. Shocking I know.

I picked up (craigslist freebie) an old '80s tower stereo system awhile ago: AM/FM, cassette, record player, 8-track and equalizer with the glass magnetic door setup. The kind my folks had and would have tanned my hide if I ever touched. It didn't come with speakers and none of ours would fit it.

We stopped into Goodwill and they had a pair of small box speakers with the proper connector. I showed them to the wife and she set all the random crap she was holding down, picked them up and walked straight to the register. $8.50 and we're out the door.

She's now on her 4th record (Darkside of the Moon) and sending me ebay links to the expensive big speakers that will rattle the fillings out of your teeth.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Well I just did a dumb thing. Shocking I know.

I picked up (craigslist freebie) an old '80s tower stereo system awhile ago: AM/FM, cassette, record player, 8-track and equalizer with the glass magnetic door setup. The kind my folks had and would have tanned my hide if I ever touched. It didn't come with speakers and none of ours would fit it.

We stopped into Goodwill and they had a pair of small box speakers with the proper connector. I showed them to the wife and she set all the random crap she was holding down, picked them up and walked straight to the register. $8.50 and we're out the door.

She's now on her 4th record (Darkside of the Moon) and sending me ebay links to the expensive big speakers that will rattle the fillings out of your teeth.
Now get a Black light, a water bed, and you're all set.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Now get a Black light, a water bed, and you're all set.

I used to have a water bed growing up. I miss that thing.

I have several black lights. I did a lot of NDT for about a year, so they lost all appeal to me after that. I've sold a few blacklight posters and stickers I created. Still trying to get the blacklight resin art to come out right

Don't forget the lava lamp

The best nightlight we ever found for the kid when she was in grade school. We have at least 4 sitting somewhere in the basement collecting dust.

And Northern Lights Indica

I had to google that. Not my thing.

Sweetnut

Sponsor
Mar 19, 2023
Been watching some classics lately.
Full metal jacket, Platoon, Apocalypse now and going for Deer Hunter now.
Any suggestions what the next one should be?
Thinking Casualties of War or Hamburger Hill. Which one is your favorite?

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Band of Brothers is great, if you haven't seen it.

Really liking 3 Body Problem, two episodes in.

Reactions: Sweetnut

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Been watching some classics lately.
Full metal jacket, Platoon, Apocalypse now and going for Deer Hunter now.
Any suggestions what the next one should be?
Thinking Casualties of War or Hamburger Hill. Which one is your favorite?

Is this a Vietnam theme, or war movies in general?

For Vietnam, We Were Soldiers is worth a watch. I liked both Casualties of War and Hamburger Hill, although its been so long since I've seen either, it's hard to recommend one or the other.

War movies, in general: Saving Private Ryan, Unbroken, The Hurt Locker and Enemy at the Gates are all good ones.

Reactions: Sweetnut

Sweetnut

Sponsor
Mar 19, 2023
Band of Brothers is great, if you haven't seen it.

Really liking 3 Body Problem, two episodes in.
I watch BoB 1-2 times a year. Did that one and The Pacific around new years, and Masters of the Air last week.

Sweetnut

Sponsor
Mar 19, 2023
Is this a Vietnam theme, or war movies in general?

For Vietnam, We Were Soldiers is worth a watch. I liked both Casualties of War and Hamburger Hill, although its been so long since I've seen either, it's hard to recommend one or the other.

War movies, in general: Saving Private Ryan, Unbroken, The Hurt Locker and Enemy at the Gates are all good ones.
Vietnam right now. We were Soldiers is a great suggestion, thanks.

Was doing the Civil War last week, binged North and South and watched Gettysburgh and a series called The blue and the Grey with Stacey Keach.

I have seen all of those movies you mentioned, probably going to watch them again soon at some point.
Did The Longest Day and A Bridge too far last month, looking to watch The big red one with Lee Marvin soon. I remember I really liked that one.

We Were Soldiers
Thanks, put it on my list. Any more suggestions on Vietnam movies?
Started watching Missing in Action, but fell asleep halfway through. Seen it before when it came out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad