OT: General OT Thread #43 - Fugu Appreciation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uberdachen

Posts Last 5 Minutes
Sep 5, 2012
Pants.
The ad behavior that made mobile unusable seems to be making its way to desktop. Maybe I'll luck out and one will be for an NHL forum that doesn't have ads with Parkinsons, and it'll jump in front of whatever thread I'm trying to click on.

Reactions: Dee Oh Cee

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
The ad behavior that made mobile unusable seems to be making its way to desktop. Maybe I'll luck out and one will be for an NHL forum that doesn't have ads with Parkinsons, and it'll jump in front of whatever thread I'm trying to click on.
The number of times I've tried to click on a thread on mobile, just to get a late loading ad screw everything up is... very high.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Ugg. I got a new (to me) car this weekend; it's a beater with a heater, and needs some work. I get it home, and went straight to my local auto-parts store for the needed water pump. I had the title in hand (for the VIN) because I wasn't sure of the engine size. Basic SOP for when I go there.

They had this new kid behind the counter: never had a job, 0 car knowledge, and the computer confused him. He had 3 different people (whom I've had plenty of good experiences with) try and help him. I ended up ordering the part; none in stock, no biggie.

Go to pick the water pump up today. and I was feeling a little leery about the whole transaction from Saturday. I take the other parts (thermostat, belt, and gasket) I bought with me. I have the clerk, who knows her stuff, double check everything to make sure it's for the engine in my car. Needless to say I ended up getting parts for a 3.0 6-cylinder, instead of the 2.4 4-banger that is actually in the car. :facepalm:

Luckily they had everything I actually needed in stock. So I exchanged everything, then went and got some ice cream to make myself feel better. No sprinkles though, because sprinkles are for winners.

On a side note, this isn't the worst experience I've ever had at an auto-parts store. The guy who changed the battery and put it in backwards still takes the cake; but that's a story for another time. :eek:

FYI your vehicles VIN will tell you most of what you'll ever need to know about a car. It might look like a bunch of alphabet soup, but it has reasoning behind it. Like for my Dodge the 8th digit is is the engine type/size. I thought this was pretty common knowledge, but the wife informed me it wasn't.

StealthClobber

A Digital Frontier.
Feb 7, 2013
Minnetonka, MN
Ugg. I got a new (to me) car this weekend; it's a beater with a heater, and needs some work. I get it home, and went straight to my local auto-parts store for the needed water pump. I had the title in hand (for the VIN) because I wasn't sure of the engine size. Basic SOP for when I go there.

They had this new kid behind the counter: never had a job, 0 car knowledge, and the computer confused him. He had 3 different people (whom I've had plenty of good experiences with) try and help him. I ended up ordering the part; none in stock, no biggie.

Go to pick the water pump up today. and I was feeling a little leery about the whole transaction from Saturday. I take the other parts (thermostat, belt, and gasket) I bought with me. I have the clerk, who knows her stuff, double check everything to make sure it's for the engine in my car. Needless to say I ended up getting parts for a 3.0 6-cylinder, instead of the 2.4 4-banger that is actually in the car. :facepalm:

Luckily they had everything I actually needed in stock. So I exchanged everything, then went and got some ice cream to make myself feel better. No sprinkles though, because sprinkles are for winners.

On a side note, this isn't the worst experience I've ever had at an auto-parts store. The guy who changed the battery and put it in backwards still takes the cake; but that's a story for another time. :eek:

FYI your vehicles VIN will tell you most of what you'll ever need to know about a car. It might look like a bunch of alphabet soup, but it has reasoning behind it. Like for my Dodge the 8th digit is is the engine type/size. I thought this was pretty common knowledge, but the wife informed me it wasn't.

I've only been to an autoparts store to buy something I actually needed once in the past 5 years, and surprise, ended up with credit card fraud a week later.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Has the site been horribly slow the past few days, or is it just me?
Not for me... but it has some horribly invasive ads on mobile that are annoying as hell which make me frequent here much less. On pc I don't get them, but I browse almost exclusively incognito on pc.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
yesterday & today the sight is not letting me on from work , anybody know what the issue is? (just let me in).
Seems like a bunch of us are getting it. For me it takes a minute+ to load sometimes.

I love this place, but with all the issues since the conversion, it's got to be losing members.

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
Barely working. Was wondering if it was my work computer or not. Nearly impossible to use if this keeps up.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Barely working. Was wondering if it was my work computer or not. Nearly impossible to use if this keeps up.

This has to be a problem on the server side, not the user side. I can load up several other sites with no problems during the time this site is loading a page.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I watched Rampage last night at the theater. It was a fun movie: things get destroyed, other things go boom, not a complicated plot, and the monsters (especially the gator) look great on the big screen.

I played the game at the arcade when I was a kid, and it had a few elements of that in the destruction scenes.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I watched Rampage last night at the theater. It was a fun movie: things get destroyed, other things go boom, not a complicated plot, and the monsters (especially the gator) look great on the big screen.

I played the game at the arcade when I was a kid, and it had a few elements of that in the destruction scenes.
Yeah, fun popcorn flick. Crappy CGI and crappy villain, but better film than I expected. I enjoyed it.

Still... the best movie so far this year is "A Quiet Place"

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Was unusually bad loading the past couple of days, but not because of adds. I just contribute to the site, and they block adds. Seems worth it, to me, considering how much I'm on here.

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
Got an email that 2 factor authentication was enabled on my PSN account, one that I haven't used in nearly a year. Couldn't log in to the site on my laptop, as the 2 factor was for a phone that was not mine. Luckily I was still signed in on my PS4, got the phone changed to my phone, and now have spent the last 2 hours going through every site that uses that email and changed passwords, not repeating any. Found out someone in Indonesia tried to sign into my Xbox account 2 weeks ago.

Sometimes I hate the internet.

Reactions: TaLoN

SupremeNachos

Dec 6, 2011
Minnesota

Ah yes the old Geek Squad misdirection.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
It seems to be much better now. I had a few issues yesterday. Did you hear the old boards are shutting down June 1st? Might see a few old faces joining here.
Well... it was just a matter of time. It was clear the changes never had the fans in mind, now they're proving that ultimate point true. I left and never looked back. Everyone should have seen this coming.

Old boards?
The boards found on Wild.com - the ones that the NHL took over as server Nazis and ruined years ago that caused a huge influx of Wild fans from there to come here.

In it's heyday, those boards had 200-300 Wild fans posting regularly before the NHL did their forced takeover and ruined them.

It's why I ended up posting here a year later.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
So just an FYI to everyone on here. The website is NOT secure. So if you are using your password or username for anything else....DONT. Your username and password are being transmitted through plaintext, so anyone who is capturing your network traffic can easily get this information. This has been brought up to the Support folks here -- but it is too expensive to put it in place along with their upgrades to other much needed security for mobile users.

Don't say I didn't warn ya!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad