Providence Bruins General Discussion thread XIII -2021 Regular Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

PepeBostones

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2002
Forgot Asselin. He's perhaps the biggest surprise along with Brady Lyle. Bruins was number one from start to finish. Real shame it won't be any playoffs, but perhaps should be glad they got to play at all

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
and by the time Providence returns in October.....

Utica remains the Comets.....with the Devils affiliated franchise that had been in Lowell, Albany, and Binghamton until a month ago when Devils informed Tom Mitchell they were vacating that market...

the current Comets franchise returns to Abbotsford, BC (Franchise Name TBA, WHERE the current Stockton Heat played for five seasons from 2009-14).

the Utica franchise signs a 10 year PDC with an option TO exit after the 7th season....

BronxBruin

Feb 27, 2002
Bronx, NY
Visit site
While I haven't watched too many games the last few weeks, I figured I'd share some season-end thoughts after today's game:

Impressed:
  • Lauko - sometimes he tries to do too much and the injuries are a concern (especially when he keeps fighting bigger guys), but he was consistently the Bruins' best player throughout the season. I could see him challenging for a spot in the NHL next season but I wouldn't be surprised if he is back in Providence for a bit more seasoning (especially after Leach's comments a couple weeks ago about his off-puck play...which I didn't really think was an issue of his).
  • I'll just lump all of the goalies together. They all looked like they could be #1 goalies in the AHL. If I was a betting man, Swayman never wears the spoked-P again and goes into next season as the backup to Rask. Vladar and Keyser should then split duties in Providence with Vladdy getting the nod as #3 if/when Boston needs reinforcements.
  • Asselin - finished second on the team in goals, third in points...not bad for a rookie. He also has some sandpaper to his game and was good on faceoffs. He should get a lot of ice time in Providence next season so it'll be interesting to see what he's able to do with it.
  • Lyle - I had him pegged as bouncing between the ECHL and AHL this year but he showed he belongs after leading all D in goals as a rookie. Obviously he needs to sure up his defensive game more but he has shown a lot of potential.
  • Ahcan - it was hard to know what to expect given his size but it was not a hindrance for him at all. His poise with the puck is really impressive. He did look in over his head in his few NHL games but give him another year in Providence and I think he could be a NHL regular.
  • Tralmaks - I think I only saw him play 3 or 4 times but I was really impressed with him each time. He could have had 2 or 3 more points today. He has a good mix of size, skill, & speed. I am guessing he can't be added to the Black Aces but he is quickly climbing the prospect ranks for me. I can't wait to watch him next season.
  • Senyshyn - I felt his play made a big jump from last season to where he is now much more confident, consistent, and regularly making plays all over the ice...at the AHL level. Unfortunately I don't know if any of it changes his chances of sticking in Boston. Every call up he's started out well and then gotten injured. You kinda get a sense that after his play tailed off after his injury/the COVID break, that he might not get many more chances...especially considering how poor the B's winger depth was throughout most of the year. I don't think he's necessarily done with the organization (mainly since he likely has little trade value) and I am rooting for him, but if he couldn't stick this year, when will he?

Disappointed:
  • Vaakanainen - still wayyyy too inconsistent. Today was a perfect example...in the first period he made a horrible pass directly to the other team, made a bad pinch leading to a breakaway, and then took a tripping penalty...only to later score a big SHG. You would hope a first round pick in his 3rd AHL season (who has looked good in the NHL at times) would stand out at this level and he just didn't. He was usually overshadowed by Ahcan, Zech, and Lyle on most days. While it can take d-men longer to develop (Zboril only made it to the NHL this year), if I was Sweeney, I would try to trade him while he still has value.
  • Studnicka - while his play wasn't ever bad, when you consider that he was expected to be a regular in Boston on his way to being Krejci's heir, it is difficult to not be disappointed in Jack's season (and specifically his lack of production). I'm not writing him off yet but expectations are likely to be tempered after the season he's had.
  • Lantosi - his play improved as the season went on and he did lead the team in goals but his start to the season was rough. After last year, I thought he would be challenging for NHL time this year and he never really came close. It will be interesting to see if he returns next season.
  • Hall - the early injury didn't help what was already a tough situation after Yale's season got cancelled. I had high hopes for him after liking what I saw from him during his time on Team USA but he just never seemed to find his stride. He'd make occasional nice plays here or there (including his goal today) but he never really stood out as an impact player. I do think he'll be much better next year.
  • Shen - I didn't really have high expectations for him but regularly being a healthy scratch in place for undrafted free agents was not a good look. His play did improve later in the season (had 2 nice assists today) but I would be surprised if we ever see him in North America again.
Anyone else not mentioned pretty much met expectations for me so I didn't bother highlighting them but I'm happy to share my thoughts if anyone has questions.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
it has a lot to do with the Islanders marketing strategy..... it is idealogy similiar to what Providence goes through when Boston is referenced as they have out the Philadelphia mode as the Broad Street Bullies.... Boston is referenced at the Big Bad Bruins, just because of that era or style of play
Yeah it really worked out well when Lou changed every team’s name to “Devils” when he had the chance. The guy is certainly brilliant in some ways....in others he’s a stubborn old fart who refuses to admit he’s gotten it wrong constantly about the minors.

Anyway, division champs.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

stocker

Mar 9, 2004
While I haven't watched too many games the last few weeks, I figured I'd share some season-end thoughts after today's game:

Impressed:
  • Lauko - sometimes he tries to do too much and the injuries are a concern (especially when he keeps fighting bigger guys), but he was consistently the Bruins' best player throughout the season. I could see him challenging for a spot in the NHL next season but I wouldn't be surprised if he is back in Providence for a bit more seasoning (especially after Leach's comments a couple weeks ago about his off-puck play...which I didn't really think was an issue of his).
  • I'll just lump all of the goalies together. They all looked like they could be #1 goalies in the AHL. If I was a betting man, Swayman never wears the spoked-P again and goes into next season as the backup to Rask. Vladar and Keyser should then split duties in Providence with Vladdy getting the nod as #3 if/when Boston needs reinforcements.
  • Asselin - finished second on the team in goals, third in points...not bad for a rookie. He also has some sandpaper to his game and was good on faceoffs. He should get a lot of ice time in Providence next season so it'll be interesting to see what he's able to do with it.
  • Lyle - I had him pegged as bouncing between the ECHL and AHL this year but he showed he belongs after leading all D in goals as a rookie. Obviously he needs to sure up his defensive game more but he has shown a lot of potential.
  • Ahcan - it was hard to know what to expect given his size but it was not a hindrance for him at all. His poise with the puck is really impressive. He did look in over his head in his few NHL games but give him another year in Providence and I think he could be a NHL regular.
  • Tralmaks - I think I only saw him play 3 or 4 times but I was really impressed with him each time. He could have had 2 or 3 more points today. He has a good mix of size, skill, & speed. I am guessing he can't be added to the Black Aces but he is quickly climbing the prospect ranks for me. I can't wait to watch him next season.
  • Senyshyn - I felt his play made a big jump from last season to where he is now much more confident, consistent, and regularly making plays all over the ice...at the AHL level. Unfortunately I don't know if any of it changes his chances of sticking in Boston. Every call up he's started out well and then gotten injured. You kinda get a sense that after his play tailed off after his injury/the COVID break, that he might not get many more chances...especially considering how poor the B's winger depth was throughout most of the year. I don't think he's necessarily done with the organization (mainly since he likely has little trade value) and I am rooting for him, but if he couldn't stick this year, when will he?

Disappointed:
  • Vaakanainen - still wayyyy too inconsistent. Today was a perfect example...in the first period he made a horrible pass directly to the other team, made a bad pinch leading to a breakaway, and then took a tripping penalty...only to later score a big SHG. You would hope a first round pick in his 3rd AHL season (who has looked good in the NHL at times) would stand out at this level and he just didn't. He was usually overshadowed by Ahcan, Zech, and Lyle on most days. While it can take d-men longer to develop (Zboril only made it to the NHL this year), if I was Sweeney, I would try to trade him while he still has value.
  • Studnicka - while his play wasn't ever bad, when you consider that he was expected to be a regular in Boston on his way to being Krejci's heir, it is difficult to not be disappointed in Jack's season (and specifically his lack of production). I'm not writing him off yet but expectations are likely to be tempered after the season he's had.
  • Lantosi - his play improved as the season went on and he did lead the team in goals but his start to the season was rough. After last year, I thought he would be challenging for NHL time this year and he never really came close. It will be interesting to see if he returns next season.
  • Hall - the early injury didn't help what was already a tough situation after Yale's season got cancelled. I had high hopes for him after liking what I saw from him during his time on Team USA but he just never seemed to find his stride. He'd make occasional nice plays here or there (including his goal today) but he never really stood out as an impact player. I do think he'll be much better next year.
  • Shen - I didn't really have high expectations for him but regularly being a healthy scratch in place for undrafted free agents was not a good look. His play did improve later in the season (had 2 nice assists today) but I would be surprised if we ever see him in North America again.
Anyone else not mentioned pretty much met expectations for me so I didn't bother highlighting them but I'm happy to share my thoughts if anyone has questions.

stocker

Mar 9, 2004

Impressed:t Senshyn

Disappointed:

aguineapig

Thanks to Saxon, Bruins Network, Bronx, Malt, Pepe, Hutch and anyone I'm forgetting for keeping us up to date. When I was a lad I remember a few times a year you'd get a paragraph or two in the Record American about the going ons in Oklahoma City and names like Cashman, Cheevers, Lorentz would be tossed about. But video was extinct and the stats in the Hockey News was all we had to nibble on. So thanks a million for the daily updates and keeping an old Bruins fan in the video loop.

PepeBostones

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2002
What will Providence Bruins look like next year.

I know it's early but I took a look at the contracts
of PBruins players this year and the only players signed for 2021-22 are
Keyser, Vladar (G)
Ahcan, Lyle, Vaakanainen, Berglund (D)
Filipe, Hall, Lauko, Shen, Steen, Studnicka (F).
Didier, Talmaks and Voyer are signed to AHL contracts.

They need at least one goalie, 4 defensemen and 8 forwards.
Do you want them to sign
Booth (G), Wolff, Zech (D) Hughes, Koppanen, Asselin, Senyshyn (F).
McKinnon should at least get an AHL contract after hearing what Jay Leach said yesterday.

I don't see the Bruins signing any of their college prospects now so the only new player would be
defenseman Victor Berglund who I believe will play in Providence in the fall.

The Bruins have a very small group of prospects beyond Providence.
10 prospects in college hockey and Bychkov in Russia.

Expect Studnicka at least, in Boston next year, maybe Lauko too.

Bruins have six draft picks in 2021 as of now, but don't expect any of them to
play in Providence next season.

Was a little disappointed the Bruins didn't sign any free agent college players this spring.
Hopefully will be a Development Camp this year that could bring a few new faces.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario

Keyser, Vladar (G)

Do you want them to sign
McKinnon should at least get an AHL contract after hearing what Jay Leach said yesterday.

I don't see the Bruins signing any of their college prospects now so the only new player would be

Was a little disappointed the Bruins didn't sign any free agent college players this spring.
Hopefully will be a Development Camp this year that could bring a few new faces.

Where is Koko? :sarcasm:

Reactions: inactive user

Dangleittus13

Mar 21, 2020
What about Lantosi and Blidh - where do they fall in the mix? And could there be a Frederic sighting? What about Beecher - any word on him leaving Michigan early?

Keyser, Vladar (G)

Do you want them to sign

Dangleittus13

Mar 21, 2020

What about Lantosi and Blidh - where do they fall in the mix? And could there be a Frederic sighting? What about Beecher - any word on him leaving Michigan early?

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
Lantosi is probably headed to Russia
Blidh is 50/50 he's back
Frederic in a Boston Bruin
Beecher? Some have hinted he'll turn pro after Development Camp, others have said he's doing 1 more year at Michigan

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
Wouldn’t Beechers name already have been in the transfer portal ?
Transfer portal is for changing schools not turning pro
However you are correct to assume if he’s turning pro his Michigan coach already knows this, would be very poor form to drop that bomb on him in July when school starts in August

Reactions: SanDogBrewin
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad