Prospect Info: General Discussion of Prospects

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
So on the ELC watch
*Lindgren yes. I think we all expected more production but the tools are still there.
*Huglen no, still has another year of eligibility, and is AHL deal material
*Costantini, maybe. Can always use center prospects, good production this season. But maybe he just does his extra year of eligibility. Probably more AHL contract than ELC
*Konecny&Lyckasen no
*Strbak no, another year at MSU is best

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Watching with more than a passing interest in Levshunov, so lots of oooh me likey and then some was that Risto out there

It was interesting watching him work, There was a sequence where he put a body on someone (I think it was Nazar) and it was like watching Risto when Risto was teasing better.

So on the ELC watch
*Lindgren yes. I think we all expected more production but the tools are still there.
Lindgren no, there isn't enough game there to warrant the deal. He's smallish PMD who isn't good in his own zone to make up for being a not very good PMD.

*Huglen no, still has another year of eligibility, and is AHL deal material

He seems like he'll stay in Minny. Re-evaluate then, but an AHL deal wouldn't be out of the question.

*Costantini, maybe. Can always use center prospects, good production this season. But maybe he just does his extra year of eligibility. Probably more AHL contract than ELC

He's like Huglen - leave him cook.

*Konecny&Lyckasen no

Agreed.

*Strbak no, another year at MSU is best

Prefer that he stays in.

So other than Lindgren I would say we agree. I've watched him enough since they drafted him, I don't see an NHL player there and I don't see much of a pro honestly.

HOOats

NO DOOM NO GLOOM
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
So other than Lindgren I would say we agree. I've watched him enough since they drafted him, I don't see an NHL player there and I don't see much of a pro honestly.
Think some team that likes him still would throw us a 5th-7th to grab him before he re-enters the draft? Small potatoes obviously, just curious.

Speaking of prospects we recouped a pick on, Erik Portillo is 12-8-2 2.61 .917 in the AHL this year. I definitely don't need him developing into something.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Think some team that likes him still would throw us a 5th-7th to grab him before he re-enters the draft? Small potatoes obviously, just curious.

Speaking of prospects we recouped a pick on, Erik Portillo is 12-8-2 2.61 .917 in the AHL this year. I definitely don't need him developing into something.

I don't think he's worth anything at this point. *shrug*

Reactions: HOOats

My Cozen Dylan

Feb 21, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
Lindgren no, there isn't enough game there to warrant the deal. He's smallish PMD who isn't good in his own zone to make up for being a not very good PMD.
I'd rather take a chance on him as a late bloomer than have a spot in Rochester taken up by a 30-year-old.

And that's not a shot against any of the guys down there. I just don't want to give up on the kid and then have Brandon Hagel 2.0 (I recognize the two situations are not the same).

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I'd rather take a chance on him as a late bloomer than have a spot in Rochester taken up by a 30-year-old.

And that's not a shot against any of the guys down there. I just don't want to give up on the kid and then have Brandon Hagel 2.0 (I recognize the two situations are not the same).

Feels more like he's going to be the defense version of Karabacek. Or Cornel.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Well, got to see Marjala on the ice for a late goal against - might not count, is under review - where the puck went through him three times in the sequence. And then on for the ENGA.

I swear, I never see this kid play well. :shakehead That's on me, not him, but it does skew my view.

My Cozen Dylan

Feb 21, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
Ostlund and Kulich 13 and 14th. Devon Levi at 20 and no Savoie or Rosen in Button's top 50.
Interesting Geekie at 40. Thought Savoie was a better prospect.
He is. I think injuries and a lackluster WJC (which all of Team Canada had) have kept him from getting the praise he deserves.

I still think his ceiling is Brayden Point.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
He is. I think injuries and a lackluster WJC (which all of Team Canada had) have kept him from getting the praise he deserves.

I still think his ceiling is Brayden Point.

It's also Craig Button. Savoie isn't the only missing from that list - Craig likes to go with hot takes and U20 recency on some of his lists. He isn't into homogeny which makes for entertaining reading at least.

forever1922

Jul 8, 2022
Naantali, Finland
So the now 21 year old Viljami Marjala once again leads his team to a win scoring 2G 1A and is carrying TPS to a playoff position.

As a liiga rookie, his team leading 39 points is now the best all time among TPS rookie scoring, ahead of then 17/18 year old Kaapo Kakko.

So what changed for Marjala? He has gotten strogger and quicker. He can now hang onto pucks in the offensive zone, create offense from behind the net and off the cycle. Before, he had the playmaking vision, the hands and transition smarts and could find passing or shooting lanes in transition but now he has added that element from a more stagnant game state, which against men requires strength and explosiveness.

He is still ways away from becoming an NHL player but he resembles Juuso Pärssinen of the Preds a lot in his development and indeed playstyle. Pärssinen perhaps a more cocky and physically mature and Marjala a more finesse and quick player but they can both create offense single handedly at liiga at same points in their career.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
So the now 21 year old Viljami Marjala once again leads his team to a win scoring 2G 1A and is carrying TPS to a playoff position.

As a liiga rookie, his team leading 39 points is now the best all time among TPS rookie scoring, ahead of then 17/18 year old Kaapo Kakko.

So what changed for Marjala? He has gotten strogger and quicker. He can now hang onto pucks in the offensive zone, create offense from behind the net and off the cycle. Before, he had the playmaking vision, the hands and transition smarts and could find passing or shooting lanes in transition but now he has added that element from a more stagnant game state, which against men requires strength and explosiveness.

He is still ways away from becoming an NHL player but he resembles Juuso Pärssinen of the Preds a lot in his development and indeed playstyle. Pärssinen perhaps a more cocky and physically mature and Marjala a more finesse and quick player but they can both create offense single handedly at liiga at same points in their career.

I'm also fascinated that he's playing center.

Reactions: SabreHawk

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
As a sidenote, I'm consistently impressed with how Elite Prospects allows contributions if you see something missing on a profile. My weekend request to have Mason Finley updated to be part of his actual family got done. :D He's now listed with brothers Jack and Max, as well as his father Jeff.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
With his relationship with Levi, I wonder if they would have Justin Hryckowian on their UDFA shopping list in the next few weeks once the Huskies' season is over. Very solid defender, high motor, good NCAA numbers - they need some center help in the pipeline for sure and he could grade out as an NHL 3 or 4 down the line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad