General Discussion (All Team/Player News/UFA Talk) - Offseason thread part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
True Detective is the best show on television. The writing, cinematography, and acting is some next level stuff. Highest quality I've seen on TV since the Sopranos(yes better than Breaking Bad).

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
reply to the last thread about the LP collectors
______

keep it going and good on ya. i still try and find new albums on vinyl if i can...sure beats downloading a file off the comp. sure it may be cheaper to do that but in the end you really get something that you can have for decades when you buy 'a plate to put on a table'

also, some new releases give you digital download codes as a bonus included so you can load onto your electronic gadget/comp/whatever.

ive never actually counted how many records i have....a quick look is about 12-13 feet though.

im sure there are people with a ******** more then me.

MountainGoat

True Detective is the best show on television. The writing, cinematography, and acting is some next level stuff. Highest quality I've seen on TV since the Sopranos(yes better than Breaking Bad).

the atmosphere of the show reminds me of the movie Se7en, very intense and dark, I just wish I didn't have to wait a week for each episode

Henry Killinger

Sep 25, 2006
Roanoke, VA
reply to the last thread about the LP collectors
______

keep it going and good on ya. i still try and find new albums on vinyl if i can...sure beats downloading a file off the comp. sure it may be cheaper to do that but in the end you really get something that you can have for decades when you buy 'a plate to put on a table'

also, some new releases give you digital download codes as a bonus included so you can load onto your electronic gadget/comp/whatever.

ive never actually counted how many records i have....a quick look is about 12-13 feet though.

im sure there are people with a ******** more then me.

I use Discogs.com to keep track of my collection. Up to 194 now, and I am sure that is miniscule in comparisons to others collections, but I just started buying vinyl again in the past 2 or 3 years. If I still had all the records from when I was a kid in the 70s - early 80s, it would be a much more impressive collection for sure, but I still enjoy it immensely.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
The last two episodes of True Detective have been awesome. Very glad I've stayed on board with this one.

I have loved this season of the Walking Dead. The second half of this season has been even better than the first half.

The Following is another good show that I don't see many ppl on here talking about that deserves some love.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
the atmosphere of the show reminds me of the movie Se7en, very intense and dark, I just wish I didn't have to wait a week for each episode

Very true about Se7en. Yeah the wait is painful haha. Rust has so many awesome quotes . He's one of my favorite characters of any show I've ever seen.

MountainGoat

Very true about Se7en. Yeah the wait is painful haha. Rust has so many awesome quotes . He's one of my favorite characters of any show I've ever seen.

Yeah, he's the "True Detective" of the show. I'm glad he went back to that school in the past episode, I knew something was up when that guy on the lawnmower said the school was funded by the mayor, it wouldn't surprise me if the mayor was actually the "yellow king", he's definitely involved in someway, and I'm pretty sure the police chief is in on it too, someone on the inside is covering up the case files on those missing girls...

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I thought the Walking Dead this season was pretty boring until the governor came back. These last two episodes since the mid season premiere have been good though. First episode was boring at times, but this past one was pretty good. The mid season finale was probably the best episode of the entire series.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
I use Discogs.com to keep track of my collection. Up to 194 now, and I am sure that is miniscule in comparisons to others collections, but I just started buying vinyl again in the past 2 or 3 years. If I still had all the records from when I was a kid in the 70s - early 80s, it would be a much more impressive collection for sure, but I still enjoy it immensely.

I use discogs as well to keep track and keep a running list. My father has a collection of about 5,000 records with some really valuable Beatles, Allman Brothers, Hendrix, Stones, Zepplin... I've got a few valuable ones including a DMB one that I see on eBay every once in a while for at least 7-800.I have an apartment now so I can't play music too loud... but I can't wait to get myself a house and have a better set up.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
Yeah, he's the "True Detective" of the show. I'm glad he went back to that school in the past episode, I knew something was up when that guy on the lawnmower said the school was funded by the mayor, it wouldn't surprise me if the mayor was actually the "yellow king", he's definitely involved in someway, and I'm pretty sure the police chief is in on it too, someone on the inside is covering up the case files on those missing girls...

"big men in big places"

Don't forget the preacher's connection to the Governor too.

And the Dora Lange girl that Cohle connected to the murder in the first episode - her mom had the stars tattoos on her neck which is a reference to the yellow king also.

"dark stars rising into purple skies"

(inside the episode on hbogo is an awesome thing)

GhostofKenKlee

The first episodes reminded me of the Dexter season and the revelation killer with Colin Hanks and Edward James Olmos. Part of me thinks the McConaghney is involved some how, but I've only seen the first three episodes.

Henry Killinger

Sep 25, 2006
Roanoke, VA
I use discogs as well to keep track and keep a running list. My father has a collection of about 5,000 records with some really valuable Beatles, Allman Brothers, Hendrix, Stones, Zepplin... I've got a few valuable ones including a DMB one that I see on eBay every once in a while for at least 7-800.I have an apartment now so I can't play music too loud... but I can't wait to get myself a house and have a better set up.

That is awesome. I like on discogs that you can see an estimated value of what's in your collection. I don't have anything nearly as valuable as that, though. I do have a first pressing of STP's Purple and a couple other albums that sell from $100 to $150, but nothing in that truly rare range..... yet. My next investment is going to be a tube amp. Still reading up on what to look for with those. Any suggestions are appreciated.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
That is awesome. I like on discogs that you can see an estimated value of what's in your collection. I don't have anything nearly as valuable as that, though. I do have a first pressing of STP's Purple and a couple other albums that sell from $100 to $150, but nothing in that truly rare range..... yet. My next investment is going to be a tube amp. Still reading up on what to look for with those. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Unfortunately I have no idea. I have an Audio Technica turntable that was around $130 and does just fine. Being in an apartment I haven't concentrated on sound too much so I'm using an older shelf system... Panasonic I believe. I'm waiting to buy a house then go wild with speakers.

Henry Killinger

Sep 25, 2006
Roanoke, VA
Unfortunately I have no idea. I have an Audio Technica turntable that was around $130 and does just fine. Being in an apartment I haven't concentrated on sound too much so I'm using an older shelf system... Panasonic I believe. I'm waiting to buy a house then go wild with speakers.

You probably have the same turntable I do. I did upgrade the cartridge to a Shure one. I'm content with the Onkyo system I have, it will shake my windows if I want it to, I just want to get a tube amp to get even closer to the true vinyl warmth.

GhostofKenKlee

I inherited a few hundred lps, mostly 80's dance/new wave remixes and full albums. My uncle left them behind and I just took them all. Lots of great Depeche Mode, New Order and other stuff. He was a DJ back in the day and a lot of them are backup copies.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto

that discog site is great.... thanks....

im starting to load mine up....a little each day ....got 50 up so far

......in related news.... http://exclaim.ca/News/record_colle...als_plans_to_phase_out_expedit_shelving_units

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
The first episodes reminded me of the Dexter season and the revelation killer with Colin Hanks and Edward James Olmos. Part of me thinks the McConaghney is involved some how, but I've only seen the first three episodes.

Prepare yourself for an awesome 4th episode. That episode has one of the best scenes I've ever seen on tv, I'm not exaggerating. The 5th was great too. It was the creator of the show's favorite episode actually.

Henry Killinger

Sep 25, 2006
Roanoke, VA
that discog site is great.... thanks....

im starting to load mine up....a little each day ....got 50 up so far

......in related news.... http://exclaim.ca/News/record_colle...als_plans_to_phase_out_expedit_shelving_units

Yeah, it's a chore getting them all in there, but worth it after you do. They also have a great marketplace on there.
Ikea is replacing the Expedit shelves with a line that I believe will be called Kallax, that are supposed to be even better.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

McConaughey's acting is off the charts. What seperates it from a lot of shows imo is you have movie level acting in a tv series, and McConaughey is continuing his Oscar level recent performances.

But Dexter enjoyed being cheesy, which can be fun, but it sets a ceiling for how good the show can be. This show very rarely devolves to cheese.

And I think the show deliberately wants you to think McConaughey is in on it, and it has me thinking it more lately, but I think it's a ploy.

GhostofKenKlee

McConaughey's acting is off the charts. What seperates it from a lot of shows imo is you have movie level acting in a tv series, and McConaughey is continuing his Oscar level recent performances.

But Dexter enjoyed being cheesy, which can be fun, but it sets a ceiling for how good the show can be. This show very rarely devolves to cheese.

And I think the show deliberately wants you to think McConaughey is in on it, and it has me thinking it more lately, but I think it's a ploy.

Dexter is a great show and possibly ran a season or two too long that last episode was just awful, unless it was an opening for a reboot of Dexter.

Dexter has some leviety and it did get worse after the Arthur Mitchell season. The comic foil of Masuka kept it light and reminded you it is entertainment. Same goes for the Sopranos. You know they aren't comedies but did give you humor/dark humor along the way.

Part of the reason why Brotherhood didn't last is for that same reason, same goes for Carnivale.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad