Sportsnet: Geek Hockey

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
No point really watching games anymore. Just check the graphs afterwards. The fancy stats community have completely taken the fun out of hockey for me. Most boring bunch of people you'll meet.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
I don't disagree. Cherry had such a long run. His retirement or dismissal was long overdue.

If the CBC/Sportsnet decided that their hockey broadcast / hockey shows was too much one way, then I think they swung the other way too much.

"The 19-20 season was a terrible season for so many reasons but the biggest set back was the firing of Cherry, Kypreos, and MacLean. "

Contradict yourself much?

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
"The 19-20 season was a terrible season for so many reasons but the biggest set back was the firing of Cherry, Kypreos, and MacLean. "

Contradict yourself much?

No.

Edit- I am more upset about Kypreos and MacLean being gone.

Don Cherry and his show was getting stale, but it was far better than the alternative. Do I have to show undying love for all the people I mentioned in order to miss them, or to say that they were much better than what we have now in Marek, Johnston, etc.?

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Don Cherry and his show was getting stale, but it was far better than the alternative. Do I have to show undying love for all the people I mentioned in order to miss them, or to say that they were much better than what we have now in Marek, Johnston, etc.?

I would say the product has been better since. Both intermissions actually talk about relevant things in the game and league. Don hadn't been doing that for years!

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Is it just me or does the media seem to stock up on guys who are ex-Leafs or former management? I guess they think it gives them more credibility with this fan base? Its puzzling, so many guys who just had a cup of coffee or were largely irrelevant/incompetent with this organization, somehow managed to wind up as an analyst.

I suspect it has to do with who they make friends with as players. The guys who have the right connections get set up for a cushy media job, and being a player in Toronto gives them a lot of access to make those connections

Reactions: Pyromaniac

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
With such a condensed schedule - and games overlapping - it's no surprise networks will need to increase their broadcast teams.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
Cherry was entertaining like a tire fire. I'd watch him and try to put together what he was saying. . Hes pretty incoherent these days.
Remember when he'd use the term 'chicken swedes'? Honestly I always thought he'd croak on tv, but not like that.

I did like watching him even if he was horrible. HNIC needs to find something else interesting .. Burkes hot takes are the closest thing they've got now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad