GDT: USA-Russia 25.12, 7:30 p.m Local Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

MOGiLNY

Jul 7, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Rabid Ranger said:
I'll agree that the U.S. defense needs to tighten things up, but really, if Montoya was sharper he would have topped two or even three of those goals.

and if Khudobin was sharper, he would've stopped 4 or even 5 of those goals

Slick Nick

Oct 29, 2003
Montréal
Visit site
Typical. Russia dominates with it's skills but the U.S. is lucky because of turnovers or bad bounces. Whatever. I'll give credit to Russia for coming back and not only making a game of it, but really pouring the heat on in the 3rd, but the same should be done to the U.S. The U.S. victory was just as much because of skill and offensive flair as hard work and turnovers, unless you think just anyone could score those kind of goals......

My point is that USA capitalized on turnovers, unforced errors and giveaways, which IMO are due to lack of cohesion, and not on lack of talent. And to me, at this elite level, it's only a matter of chemistry... and chemistry, unlike talent, is something you can work on through a tournament. My last post didn't give much credit to the americans, but it was mostly directed to the russian fans that didn't see the game. Of course the americans played a great structerd and pragmatic game, but they didn't create much chances. I loved what saw from Sutter, he's going to be the leader on this team.

agreed. i don't know what game he watched, but until about midway through the third, the russians could barely get a quality shot, while the americans were going end to end over and over again. they can claim that if the russians had played a full game, they would have won...or the americans can claim that had montoya not had the wiggles to start the game, the game would have been over in the second.

I watched the game twice today, and let me tell you that from the 6th minute of the second period, the game was going one way; expet for the shorthanded goal and the PP in the third.
while the americans were going end to end over and over again
what the hell are you talking about???? I didn't see it once from the americans.. it was puck dumping after puck dumping, the russians on the other hand had greaaaat zone entries.. Such great moves by Ovechkin, Pestunov, Malkin, Shafigulin, Shirokov.. they were entering the american zone like a hot knife into butter.

Can you admit that one of the reasons Russia didn't play solid hockey for much of the game was because of intense U.S. pressure created on the forecheck? As for the 3rd period, it's amazing what a motivating factor being down by a goal in an important game is.

I wouldn't say that, I think the americans just got a lot of chances on horrible plays from the russian defence. Usually when there's pressure, you ice the puck, you don't pass it on the tape of the opponent. Anyways, we'll see what happends next..

Crossroads*

Rabid Ranger said:
Not really, since Montoya actually showed up in the 3rd period.

Montoya has not looked comfortable out there at all, similar to MAF last year. Even in the exhibition games he played in he looks very uncomfortable and his technical game is lacking. Perhaps he is lacking confidence... but he better gain it back if the U.S. wants to win gold. Combined with his unsteady play and the (so far) poor U.S. defensive game... I smell a high GAA.

MOGiLNY

Jul 7, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
SwisshockeyAcademy said:
I was wondering if it was you sitting below me , perhaps you and your girlfriend, she had a female Leaf shirt on during Canada's games. Trying to put a face to the poster.

nah, I was with my dad heh..

MOGiLNY

Jul 7, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Slick Nick said:
Am I the only one to think that Parshyn struggled the whole game? Shirokov and Malkin were great, Gersonsky should put Radulov or even Galimov on that line.

Yeah, he didn't have a good game.. He had that bad giveaway, and then couldn't create much in the offensive zone because the Americans just outmuscled him..

Lisin, Shirokov, Malkin, Ovechkin and Pestunov played very well though..

MOGiLNY

Jul 7, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
SwisshockeyAcademy said:
Right on, enjoy the rest of the tourney, wish all games for all teams were televised, even if it was pay-per -view i would pay.

right back at ya..

I'm not sure which team you are supporting, but TSN will be showing all of Canada's games, and I believe they will broadcast 2 quarterfinals games and both of the semi finals, so the coverage isn't THAT bad..

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
my thoughts from last night:

malkin was completely invisible for the first two periods. he seemed a little uncomfortable, and his linemates were flat out terrible, coughing up the puck continuously. he played great in the third when he decided to do stuff by himself instead of feed teammates.

ovechkin played great for the first couple of periods, and was a little less noticeable in the third. he does everything at top speed, and is always looking for a lead pass to attack the offensive zone. reminds me of a kovalchuk with a little less goal scoring, a little more passing, and a lot more defense.

one thing that was apparent was that ovechkin at this point is a much much more confident player than malkin. ovechkin is also an explosive skater, whereas malkin is a smooth skater. to tell you the truth though, malkin is and will be a fabulous skater in his own right, especially considering he's 6'4". i was disappointed with malkin through two periods, but he certainly displayed his skill in the third. i have no idea why they don't play ovechkin and malkin on the same powerplay if not the same line. that combo would be deadly. i'm hoping to see malkin get better with each game this tournament.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
The most noticeable scouting observation I had was Radulov looked like a Super Star in the Russian Challenge against the QMJHL ..but I thought he looked pretty ordinary out there against the USA..

So I was quite astonished and it really hit home that you really have to see these kids in various settings to get a feel for their true abilities, and to make a proper scouting report, because in this case Radulov in particular looked like two different players to me anyways..

I remember getting in that same discussion with some of the HF staff and others after some of the rankings list, as multiple viewings was stressed, and the more times you get to see a player the better the read you can make..

This is a perfect example of that .. If you only saw one or the other and not both your report would be much different.. Even to the point that the QMJHL followers clamed he was the Russain Savior in those Challenge games..not today he wasn't IMO ...

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
The Messenger said:
The most noticeable scouting observation I had was Radulov looked like a Super Star in the Russian Challenge against the QMJHL ..but I thought he looked pretty ordinary out there against the USA..

So I was quite astonished and it really hit home that you really have to see these kids in various settings to get a feel for their true abilities, and to make a proper scouting report, because in this case Radulov in particular looked like two different players to me anyways..

I remember getting in that same discussion with some of the HF staff and others after some of the rankings list, as multiple viewings was stressed, and the more times you get to see a player the better the read you can make..

This is a perfect example of that .. If you only saw one or the other and not both your report would be much different.. Even to the point that the QMJHL followers clamed he was the Russain Savior in those Challenge games..not today he wasn't IMO ...

his line hardly got any ice time. about 3 shifts per period. it's hard to do much with that. the espn announcers even commented on their surprise over it.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
nomorekids said:
his line hardly got any ice time. about 3 shifts per period. it's hard to do much with that. the espn announcers even commented on their surprise over it.

If he was better would he not logically get more ice time .. ???

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
The Messenger said:
If he was better would he not logically get more ice time .. ???

not necessarily. it wasn't as if it was just him. his whole line barely saw the ice. the russians were playing catchup, and it stands to reason they were rolling two lines, pretty much. they wanted either malkin or ovechkin on the ice at all times.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
nomorekids said:
not necessarily. it wasn't as if it was just him. his whole line barely saw the ice. the russians were playing catchup, and it stands to reason they were rolling two lines, pretty much. they wanted either malkin or ovechkin on the ice at all times.

I watched the game twice on TSN today .. and he was on the ice more then 3 shifts a period .. I think the ESPN announcer just said that as he was very unnoticeable most of the game .. I am actually watching the 3rd period right now and he has had 3 shifts in the first 8:30 of the third .. they are not just rolling 2 lines they are rolling 3 lines the 4th energy checking line is not see much ice but Radulov is getting ice time.. They actually just threw Radulov out there with Ovechkin they said to stimulate Radulov and the offense ..

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
The Messenger said:
I watched the game twice on TSN today .. and he was on the ice more then 3 shifts a period .. I think the ESPN announcer just said that as he was very unnoticeable most of the game .. I am actually watching the 3rd period right now and he has had 3 shifts in the first 8:30 of the third .. they are not just rolling 2 lines they are rolling 3 lines the 4th energy checking line is not see much ice but Radulov is getting ice time.. They actually just threw Radulov out there with Ovechkin they said to stimulate Radulov and the offense ..

i saw the shift chart. he had a total of 11 shifts the entire game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad