U18: GDT: Sweden vs. Finland

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
The forwards on this team are obviously good in general. Lots of skill. But we do lack high end play driving defenders. The defencemen do not move the puck well enough and we would score more with more creativity and less blind point shots. This is the first time in recent memory I can recall the defencemen being an issue on a swedish national team. If this team had someone like Edvinsson it would be very good.

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
Östlund continues playing on a different level. So much better than all other Swedish F.

Does things few players are able to do in high speed

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
And yet Monten will choose the likes of Ekmark, Ljungman and Stakkestad over him for the u20 tournament in summer.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Östlund best player for Sweden by a mile. McKenzie has him outside top 50? Crazy.
He is underrated for various reasons but he is clearly a bigger hockey talent than the likes of Öhgren to people who watch them with eyes and don’t just stat watch. I think Östlund is a better prospect than Lekkerimäki too. I don’t see how someone with the hands, skating, vision and relentless work ethic of Östlund doesn’t become a top 6 center. Scouts will be concerned about size when it isn’t warranted again though.

Erikfromfin

May 18, 2013
Draftineurope had Östlund number 1 euro already year ago. Now its their 3rd behind Nemec and Slafkovsky. Don't know why NHL teams havent picked up on him. Halttunen I've said earlier mid first round talent for 2023 maybe higher

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
He is underrated for various reasons but he is clearly a bigger hockey talent than the likes of Öhgren to people who watch them with eyes and don’t just stat watch. I think Östlund is a better prospect than Lekkerimäki too. I don’t see how someone with the hands, skating, vision and relentless work ethic of Östlund doesn’t become a top 6 center. Scouts will be concerned about size when it isn’t warranted again though.
Öhgren has no elite skill

Lekkerimäki has his shooting, hands

Östlund has speed, hockey sense, hands, playmaking, intensity

I have never understood why Öhgren is so highly ranked across many boards. Does most things well, but does not stand out. Guessing his impressive stats has something do with it. Second rounder to me.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
McKenzie doesn't rank anyone, he simply polls a panel of scouts from various teams and compiles the results. Obviously being slept on by NHL scouts.
Well thanks for the info, but I know how McKenzie's list is made.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019

I have never understood why Öhgren is so highly ranked across many boards. Does most things well, but does not stand out. Guessing his impressive stats has something do with it. Second rounder to me.
I agree mostly. Think Öhgren is a physically developed player who dominates against juniors but I don’t see him becoming a high end productive first liner or anything like that. Lekkerimäki is someone I like a lot, I think he not only shows that he is a good goalscorer but also a great all round offensive threat and playmaker. Östlund is more dynamic and a lot smarter though. It’s clear who is the best player to anyone who watches them.

I still think european junior leagues are underscouted. That’s an explanation behind the scouting-team led rankings.

Reactions: wingerdinger

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden

Öhgren has size.

Östlund will need to put on some weight, which I have no doubt he will, he hit a growth spurt which he hasn't caught up with yet.

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
Not a fan of any of the Swedish D, but Jakob Noren is a nice surprise. Barely watched him play before. Very mobile and seems sound defensively

kyle44

Jan 7, 2007
Well thanks for the info, but I know how McKenzie's list is made.
You said: "McKenzie has him outside the top 50," which would imply he is doing the ranking and he's somehow missed this player, instead of simply being an aggregator of scouts' opinions. Wouldn't hurt you to be less condescending once in a while.

Nucks4Life

Apr 22, 2022
Östlund best player for Sweden by a mile. McKenzie has him outside top 50? Crazy.
Euro's to this day are often ranked lower - I think there's a north american bias.

Unless a player just has superstar written all over him, Euro's seemed to always be dinged. Certainly it has to do with more scouts seeing a north american player but you'd think by now NHL teams would wake up.

Perhaps its the belief the north american junior / college level of play is higher but look back in past drafts, so so many steals that are European that went way below their performance in the NHL.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
You said: "McKenzie has him outside the top 50," which would imply he is doing the ranking and he's somehow missed this player, instead of simply being an aggregator of scouts' opinions. Wouldn't hurt you to be less condescending once in a while.
Hm? It just was the fastest way to type that that I thought of. Obviously the list's not made by him, everyone knows that. Do you want me to say "McKenzie's list, which is made by polling NHL scouts, had him outside top 50"? I really question the point of your reply in the first place - it's not very important whether he personally ranks the players or doesn't, and I also would assume a person with 20k posts knows how his list works, so all in all it doesn't make much sense.

Topias Leinonen, by the way, is so overrated. Have thought so for 2 and a half years. Shouldn't even be on the team, honestly. Can't believe people think he's the best goalie prospect in Europe for this draft or something. Big goalie but can't cover anything.

kyle44

Jan 7, 2007
Hm? It just was the fastest way to type that that I thought of. Obviously the list's not made by him, everyone knows that. Do you want me to say "McKenzie's list, which is made by polling NHL scouts, had him outside top 50"? I really question the point of your reply in the first place - it's not very important whether he personally ranks the players or doesn't, and I also would assume a person with 20k posts knows how his list works, so all in all it doesn't make much sense.
The amount of posts an individual has does not necessarily correlate to knowledge. It matters because it isn't his personal view of the player; it's the NHL scouting community. It read like you were criticizing McKenzie for missing on the player. If I was to say the same thing about someone like Pronman it would be different given it is his personal assessment of the player based on viewings.

Erikfromfin

May 18, 2013
looks like Minkkinen benched for Kärki. I like his potential but has had brutal tournament.

EK47

Feb 7, 2013
Swedish pk is really brutal in this tourney
Hard to have a decent PK when the defensemen get hemmed in their own zone. No one really stands out in any aspect apart from not really being able to handle the forecheck.

Czechboy

Ceší do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
So winner gets Germany and loser gets Canada. Ouch. At least one sensational quarter final game coming up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad