Olympics: GDT: Slovakia vs Sweden

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Definitly Slovak should fire this old clown coach Ramsay after OG.
Ice time management and system is amfull.

To hire Slovakian coach who'll take care next generation players
Not necessarily a Slovakian, but a modern coach. Hockey isn't where it was 10 years ago.

Chara-3

May 7, 2007
Definitly Slovak should fire this old clown coach Ramsay after OG.
Ice time management and system is amfull.

To hire Slovakian coach who'll take care next generation players
Can't agree, the current management gives plenty opportunities for youngsters. Not only OG, but also WCH, and other tournaments. I mean, 5 years ago we usually had oldest team in each tournament we started, now we are the youngest.

But I agree that Slaf should be given some PP time, or the entire 4th line.

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
Can't agree, the current management gives plenty opportunities for youngsters. Not only OG, but also WCH, and other tournaments. I mean, 5 years ago we usually had oldest team in each tournament we started, now we are the youngest.

But I agree that Slaf should be given some PP time, or the entire 4th line.
I agree but it’s also about in game adjustments, and he has failed at that since he’s been coach of the team. I believe Ramsay can help guys who are rather weak players to play more like average players but I question his ability to make changes in game with tactics and minutes.
For example, today. Keeping Pospisil as 13th forward, while feeding Hudacek (turnover machine) minutes. I think we all agree on the Slafkovsky powerplay. The argument is that you keep running the same unit and eventually they will score, the problem is in a short tournament, you could be done in 4 games. Changes need to be made in game and game to game. The first powerplay unit was so pathetically bad, I couldn’t believe it. It’s not like they were generating great chances and just missing, they couldn’t even get set up for a clean look. Take Hudacek and Ceresnak off and put in Gernat and Slaf, and run with that for a bit. But we just keep beating the same dead horse with the umbrella setup and yet Ramsay can’t figure out that Jurco doesn’t have a one timer on the left side :banghead:

Reactions: SpitfireG and tobu

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
At this point whenever we play PP I'm kinda wishing that we don't score, so that the coaches can't use it as an excuse to pretend that the PP units we have right now work.

If they continue with the insistence not to change anything on the PP, this tournament is done for us. It's special units that win games in today's hockey.

Still, Ramsay brought some good stuff into the NT - as has been mentioned the number of youngsters that get to play even at the top level events and also our 5 on 5 style is improve compared to the past. It doesn't help that the supposed top players are nowhere near the form they were last year.

Two things remain the same - the PP already mentioned, but another one is the lack of shooting efficiency. I mean Slafkovsky who has had issues with it in the pat seems to have broken it at the OGs, but otherwise. This is something that is an issue not only for men's team, but also for junior teams. Even when we have good classes of players like 1999 and 2004.It's something that ought to be addressed on a global level by the various NT managements.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
slovakia was better than sweden. 41-29 shots to slovakia. not sure why slovaks are acting like its doomsday. tomek had a bad day, hellberg had a good day. slovakia was a lot better than latvia

Reactions: stastny12

kudla

May 11, 2016
Bratislava, Slovakia
slovakia was better than sweden. 41-29 shots to slovakia. not sure why slovaks are acting like its doomsday. tomek had a bad day, hellberg had a good day. slovakia was a lot better than latvia
So this team and our junior team had 90 shots combined against Sweden and scored 1 goal. Allowed 7 on 56 shots.

Reactions: Czechboy

Mara

May 10, 2011
Lack of discpline, a weak play style(system) or lack of talent in key aspects. Not sure what the cause is, but Slovakia makes too many terrible defensive mistakes each game that allow opponents to capitalize. It's hard to watch, because the team is not all that bad. The forecheck is really good and there are some talented forwards who are fun to watch.

Reactions: stastny12

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
They threw the puck on net in low percentage areas a lot. Didn't create as much as Sweden. They also outshot Finland and lost 6-2, so I guess that game was similar, but I didn't see it. Might be a systematic issue.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I'm now very excited to see the Slovakia - Latvia game tomorrow. Before tourney I thought it'd be a 1 goal game. I still think that.

Slaf improving his stock!

SpitfireG

Sep 29, 2013
I agree but it’s also about in game adjustments, and he has failed at that since he’s been coach of the team. I believe Ramsay can help guys who are rather weak players to play more like average players but I question his ability to make changes in game with tactics and minutes.
For example, today. Keeping Pospisil as 13th forward, while feeding Hudacek (turnover machine) minutes. I think we all agree on the Slafkovsky powerplay. The argument is that you keep running the same unit and eventually they will score, the problem is in a short tournament, you could be done in 4 games. Changes need to be made in game and game to game. The first powerplay unit was so pathetically bad, I couldn’t believe it. It’s not like they were generating great chances and just missing, they couldn’t even get set up for a clean look. Take Hudacek and Ceresnak off and put in Gernat and Slaf, and run with that for a bit. But we just keep beating the same dead horse with the umbrella setup and yet Ramsay can’t figure out that Jurco doesn’t have a one timer on the left side :banghead:

Agree. What is Ramsay track records as a head coach? Without particular acheivments. Slovak team is his first long term run as head coach. He get Selke Tropphy being a player and you can't easy put off this kind of mentality.

Slovakians have now a great pool of rising talents and merite to have a better coach behind the bench then Ramsay is imo. The modern coach with game philosophy that will match to their talent.
In case with Slovakian coach it will more from the heart and blood, it's so important when you are aiming highest goals. Best result your team got with Jan Filc, Hossa and Vujtec, when Hanlon and Ramsay it's not some kind of outstanding that they bring.

Regarding PK and PP it's a usually job of coach assistants.

Last edited:
Reactions: Antiillafire

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad