Olympics: GDT Latvia vs Sweden

Mainiac

May 15, 2021
Yeah, was hoping Latvia might have a shot....but so far not the case. 4 min PP was uneventful. Their fans are so great I always pull for them.

Reactions: lawrence

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Yeah, was hoping Latvia might have a shot....but so far not the case. 4 min PP was uneventful. Their fans are so great I always pull for them.

I went to a Latvia Slovakia game back in 2010. It was awesome. The Canadian fans were cheering for Latvia.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
How was that not goaltender interference? Or, if that collision was caused by a defender, not a penalty? How does that collision with a goalie not result in a call? Wild

GX

Dec 28, 2011
Latvia had almost nothing to offer offensively even strength the entire game. So glad to see we are able to build some pressure now that it is a one goal game.

Hasa92

Aug 4, 2012
Finland
Just tuned in to watch the end of the game, good game. This group is gonna be tough for Finland but I think that's the best way to toughen up for the elimination games.

Janvonpobben

Sep 15, 2021
Just tuned in to watch the end of the game, good game. This group is gonna be tough for Finland but I think that's the best way to toughen up for the elimination games.
Good game? Sweden has their F team. They didnt even take their best KHL players.

This tournament is useless

Vikz

Dec 26, 2021
Everyone in Latvia saying that our team played good and we should be proud. This can be true for the second half of the game, but I remember that at about halftime Latvia had like 6 shots on goal, which is not a good result even if we would have played against NHLers packed Sweden. Hopefully next time we start to play from the first minute. Otherwise good game.

Reactions: Kalv

Dofs

Jun 25, 2021
Everyone in Latvia saying that our team played good and we should be proud. This can be true for the second half of the game, but I remember that at about halftime Latvia had like 6 shots on goal, which is not a good result even if we would have played against NHLers packed Sweden. Hopefully next time we start to play from the first minute. Otherwise good game.

It's only a first game, and half of the roster haven't played since, like, beginning of January. I think some time to find their game was expected.

GX

Dec 28, 2011
That's what happens with 6am games - you only remember the last 5 minutes and the score. :D This certainly wasn't a good game by Latvians - lost a lot of puck battles, Swedes had upper hand in offensive production, faceoffs, physical play, took less unnecessary penalties.

Reactions: Vikz

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
I only saw the last period. Not exactly something that has me excited about Swedens gold chances. Sounds like the first two were alright though.

GX

Dec 28, 2011
Why didn't Indrasis play? Injury? Covid?
Healthy scratch apparently, which is an interesting take by Vitolins. Karsums too, but, considering his age and speed, that's understandable.

Reactions: Elvs

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
sweden where a little bit better first 2 periods. latvia better in period 3, they where pushing to come back. but whole game was overall even.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Healthy scratch apparently, which is an interesting take by Vitolins. Karsums too, but, considering his age and speed, that's understandable.
Karsums makes perfect sense but I don't really buy healthy-scratching Indrasis. Hopefully, he can play the next game.

Dofs

Jun 25, 2021
Karsums makes perfect sense but I don't really buy healthy-scratching Indrasis. Hopefully, he can play the next game.
All the people close to the team say that he was a healthy scratch though. There are talks about Vitolinsh not liking his attitude during training before the game.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
First part of the game was hard to watch from Latvia perspective. Not sure what changed - they got themselves together or Swedes took the foot off the gas

Your old Jofa helmet

Oct 2, 2006
Toronto
It's so weird to see Sweden grind out the result. I surely expected this style of hockey with a squad like this but still very unusual. It's gonna be tougher with better opponents as Tre Kronor will hardly have anything else in their pocket. I will try to enjoy the grind as long as it gives results

Pasha71

Dec 30, 2017
Considering the fact that it was not a knockout round game, Latvia should not feel too bad. The lack of NHL players does give a bigger chance to weaker teams.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad