Not open for further replies.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
oil slick said:
:confused: :confused:

The Swiss fought back?

OK. Here is all that I'm confused about. You say, the "difference isn't just 2-0 vs. 3-2, it's also how those scores came about."

What is the difference in how the scores came about? Because it seems to me that the Swiss got up 2-0 and sat back, exactly the same way as Canada did by getting up 3-0.

:confused: :confused:

Is this really so hard to understand? Canada got up, tried sitting back, and were still conceding goals. The Swiss sat back, and even though they were outplayed, nothing made it onto the scoreboard. Given the disparity in quality between the two teams, when Canada decides to sit back, they should look a lot more effective doing it than the Swiss did.

Sammy*

trippyime said:
And someone actually questioned why I alluded to Draper's intelligence?

If you hate doing it, don't do it. You have to force your game on the other team. They stopped dictating the pace, they stopped getting the puck deep and playing physical and they stopped shooting.
So I take it when a player says "we dont like giving up an early goal" your retort is
"What an idiot for saying such an obvious thing, just stop doing it".
Nice point.
And "They stopped dictating the pace, they stopped getting the puck deep and playing physical and they stopped shooting"
So I take it your agreeing they played poorly?

Dig Out Your Soul

Ex Storm...
Aug 8, 2005
Epsilon said:
What's weird is that people want to crucify Canada last game after they lost to an undefeated team in a very competitive game. The over-reaction to the loss was completely over the top. Now they play a sloppy game but all is forgiven because they get the W? I don't see why people are unwilling to delve any deeper than "they won" and "they lost". As Sammy mentioned, the effort against Finland was stronger and less sloppy than this game for a longer period of time.

I don't think I was one of the people who wanted to crucify them. I was worried, but knew they could and would play better. And as I keep saying, this game is a stepping stone, not the be-all and end-all of the tournament. All is not forgiven, there is a lot left to accomplish and I'm not certain at all that they'll win tomorrow. Every area of their game has to magically improve before tomorrow.

O'shizzle

Oct 21, 2005
Detroit
trippyime said:
First off, Kris Draper is a moron and looks like a monkey. He has absolutely sucked in this tournament and should stick to worrying about his own play.
Your analysis is stunning in both its breadth and width. Of course, Draper, being a player on the Canadian Olympic Team, should have absolutely no opinion of his own teams play. It should be left up to the more qualified, such as yourself, to make that determination.

Dig Out Your Soul

Ex Storm...
Aug 8, 2005
Sammy said:
So I take it when a player says "we dont like giving up an early goal" your retort is
"What an idiot for saying such an obvious thing, just stop doing it".
Nice point.
And "They stopped dictating the pace, they stopped getting the puck deep and playing physical and they stopped shooting"
So I take it your agreeing they played poorly?

Yes, I am agreeing they played poorly. I never said they played well.

Yes, I hate players pointing out the obvious and I rarely listen to interviews because they are always so politically correct, boring, and yes, obvious.

Sammy*

trippyime said:
Every area of their game has to magically improve before tomorrow.
I think we are actually in agreement here, & thats not a good thing.

Dig Out Your Soul

Ex Storm...
Aug 8, 2005
Epsilon said:
Is this really so hard to understand? Canada got up, tried sitting back, and were still conceding goals. The Swiss sat back, and even though they were outplayed, nothing made it onto the scoreboard. Given the disparity in quality between the two teams, when Canada decides to sit back, they should look a lot more effective doing it than the Swiss did.

So you're admitting the difference was goaltending, not overall play. Brodeur allowed two goals, two save-able goals, where Gerber did not.

Sammy*

trippyime said:
Yes, I am agreeing they played poorly. I never said they played well.

Yes, I hate players pointing out the obvious and I rarely listen to interviews because they are always so politically correct, boring, and yes, obvious.
Well then , every player in the NHL is an idiot according to you cause they all speak in cliches, however true.

Dig Out Your Soul

Ex Storm...
Aug 8, 2005
O'shizzle said:
Your analysis is stunning in both its breadth and width. Of course, Draper, being a player on the Canadian Olympic Team, should have absolutely no opinion of his own teams play. It should be left up to the more qualified, such as yourself, to make that determination.

And if we all stopped giving our opinions, message boards would not exist.

My statement was harsh, but Epsilon did a good job getting under my skin arguing a point. My apologies.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
trippyime said:
So you're admitting the difference was goaltending, not overall play. Brodeur allowed two goals, two save-able goals, where Gerber did not.

That goal from Kubina was not saveable. And Brodeur was spectacular for most of the game, making huge saves and keeping his team in the lead.

Dig Out Your Soul

Ex Storm...
Aug 8, 2005
Sammy said:
Well then , every player in the NHL is an idiot according to you cause they all speak in cliches, however true.

No, I just said it was harsh to call him a moron. It's just a word that came to mind. He does, however, look like a monkey. :p:

Dig Out Your Soul

Ex Storm...
Aug 8, 2005
Epsilon said:
That goal from Kubina was not saveable. And Brodeur was spectacular for most of the game, making huge saves and keeping his team in the lead.

If Brodeur played the butterfly and slid over with both pads on the ice, how is the puck NOT saved? The only reason it went in is because he tried is one knee on the ice kick-save, the puck went right through that wide-open gap in his legs.

Last edited:

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Just looking ahead to tomorrow and Canada plays at 3:30!!! :yo: Which is sweet because I get off work at 3!! :D

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
J17ster said:
Brodeur let in a weak goal on one of them. Did make a sick save with his stick though. Canada's goaltending thus far has actually been very good.

Funny how people were calling it "potentially Canada's achilles heel" before the tournament started. Man did that prediction ever turn out poorly.

Dig Out Your Soul

Ex Storm...
Aug 8, 2005
Epsilon said:
Funny how people were calling it "potentially Canada's achilles heel" before the tournament started. Man did that prediction ever turn out poorly.

Haha, I thought today Brodeur played well, but the fact that nearly every team is pulling out shutouts against the weaker teams, yet Canada has allowed a weak goal every game worries me a bit.

I never thought goaltending would be a problem, and I don't think it is, but it could be better.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
We need to treat this as a minor victory. Yeah, it's nice we won, and that we scored a few goals, but in the end, it's still the round robin. Canada did what they had to do, so now it's time to quietly move on to the playoffs.

A few quick thoughts:
*For all the complaining about our team, keep two things in mind: Our goals for at this point is roughly the same as in 2002, and we have yet to allow more than two goals against in any game. We weren't over .500 after the medal round in 2002, either.
*Am I the only one who thinks this game is eerily reminiscent of last year's World Championship win vs. the Russians? We led 4-0, then settled into a defensive shell, surrended three goals and relied on Brodeur to keep the Russians at bay.
*Keep in mind that this is a talented Czech team we beat. If you'd have told me before the tournament that we would beat the Czechs 3-2 in the final game of the round robin, and chase Thomas Vokoun, I would have been very happy.
*Canada's history is somewhat repeating itself. In recent years in international tournaments (World Cup of Hockey, played on North American ice, is the exception), Canada has started slowly, but saves it best hockey for the playoffs. The Czechs are also repeating past trends. They're showing the volatility and inconsistency which has plagued them in the past, but hasn't been seen since the 1996 World Cup. Still, I wouldn't want to face them during the playoffs.

According to the original schedule, Canada will play at 3:30 p.m. EST tomorrow. That's a good thing. Give the guys a chance to rest. If Canada plays their game, and if Canada's past history of stepping up big-time in the playoffs repeats itself, Canada will win.

jacketracket*

ferns8916 said:

Of course I do. I am a hockey fan. I have the right to judge hockey players as I see them. It isn't like I said anything that is attacking him personally.
Emphasized for clarity, as you seem to be a revolutionary in the "Nash sucks" movement. Just think --- if the kid is as bad as you portray him to be, you'll surely be able to brag that you were the first kid on your block to call it ...

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
God Bless Canada said:
*Am I the only one who thinks this game is eerily reminiscent of last year's World Championship win vs. the Russians? We led 4-0, then settled into a defensive shell, surrended three goals and relied on Brodeur to keep the Russians at bay.
You aren't the only one, I thought of that as well. I thought Canada would have learned from that game but I guess they didn't.

Captain_Cunney

Sep 26, 2005
Bowling Alley
canucksfan said:
You aren't the only one, I thought of that as well. I thought Canada would have learned from that game but I guess they didn't.

Hopefully they figure it out by tomorrow....the best defence is to keep up the pressure the entire game, no matter what you are up by.

They must keep with the soft dump ins so that they can punish the D and wear them down.

The_Eck

Jan 5, 2006
Montreal
Although Canada won the game, it was still a pathetic performance. Only 16 shots on goal, pathetic. Wednesday will be their last game of the tournament.

khy206

Nov 26, 2005
The_Eck said:
Although Canada won the game, it was still a pathetic performance. Only 16 shots on goal, pathetic. Wednesday will be their last game of the tournament.

I don't think Canada played their best hockey today either but win is a win. To me, they are not the favorite to win gold right now, but they always have a chance unless they're really out. Just do not count them out that quickly.

Captain_Cunney

Sep 26, 2005
Bowling Alley
nuckfan in TO said:
or maybe, just like every year, Canada thinks that Wednesday is actually the first game of the tournament after several "practice" days so far?

I hope so, but that cocky attitute will catch up to us sooner or later.

But I agree....tomorrow we start all over and every team is on even ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad