GDT: GDT #76 New York Islanders @ Columbus Blue Jackets | April 4th | 7:00 PM | F/4-2 W

Suffolkbull3

Apr 27, 2016
i cant fknnnn believe this fknnnn team has drawn me in AGAIN!!! the losses hurt too bad and i just couldnt bear to watch them slide down and out of playoff contention…. YET here we are AGAIN!!! DAMN IT!!! Draw me in just to break my heart AGAIN! damn this team!

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
He is actually quite stout. Wouldn't surprise me if he was carrying 220 lbs. And this is what drives me crazy. you get his attention by managing his minutes. Not playing a zero like Fasching in his place.

Columbus is an interesting team. When healthy, they put a few guys out there that can score the puck. Absolutely tragic for Boone Jenner and family this week. Isles played some desperate hockey but Sorokin still shaky. Put Gaudreau, Chinakov and Jenner in that line up and could have been a problem even with the puck possession and shot disparity.

Hopefully Dobson builds off this game. McLean continues to impress. Barzy playing best 2-way hockey of his career.

When I say 'lanky' I mean length, reach, a gumby-like playstyle. You can have a strong core (or can be generally strong), and be lanky. His build is also on the slender side; with that said, he's worked on his strength and it shows. Count me in as a Holmie.

Agreed on Sorokin, shades of instability still. He looks off during certain sequences. It's an *off year (in a higher scoring league), he's played behind horrific D, faced the most shots, at the most dangerous spots.

(this is probably meant for another thread) Re: CBJ. I was reflecting the other day, most of the recent rebuilding teams have pretty much failed. CBJ aren't a pure rebuild, a convoluted mix.

Agreed on Dobson. Barzal has played his best hockey of his career.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
At the end of the day, it's a 2-point regulation win.

Gotta keep this thing going, no matter how unimpressive it can get.

In essence, when you're playing a bottom-feeding Columbus that is without Gaudreau, Jenner, and Laine (for that matter), and you've got an ECHL goalie in goal, it shouldn't be that hard.

The team just does not create enough goalmouth pressure. Like, ever.

But onto the next challenge.

Our win and the DC loss (both regulation) make this a very good night, even if Pittsburgh is sniffing around now too.

Gonna be that way for the remainder of the month, so the boys just gotta keep finding ways to win.

Yep, that's what I call a very big "IF"
That big IF - happened.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Anyone calling that second goal soft needs to have their head examined. Sorokin left absolutely 0 space... if the shot had not hit Sorokin's chin it could have gone into the neutral zone. The puck literally moved his head which created the space for it to go in. You try taking a puck to the chin and staying perfectly still. Awesome goal by Marchenko.

Good on Roy putting Sorokin against the easier teams though. Hard to complain about allowing 4 goals over 2 games that you won. Next two will be tough and I'm not sure there's really a right answer of who to play for which game.
My concern with that goal was that Marchenko didn’t even hesitate to try it… because the scouting report has been out for sometime that Sorokin gives up those corners from down low in the zone.

The Carolina OT playoff clinching goal (while a low shot) was similar in that it was taken from a spot players have been trying to exploit. As far back as two seasons ago players started testing him there, and found success. Even now he still gets caught on occasion.

Sorokin, needs to get into the off-season and try to sort some stuff out. Next year will be telling on the kind of goalie he will turn out to be. Still hoping for a franchise player, but this year has been cause for concern.

Last edited:

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Pshaw, at the Isles benefiting from Columbus missing players… said offensive-minded players could’ve just as easily lead to a number of defensive breakdowns leading to the Isles running up the score.

That’s hockey… everything and anything could happen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad