GDT: GDT #67 New York Islanders @ New York Rangers | March 17th | 1:00 PM | F/5-2 L

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
He’s sitting back cause he doesn’t trust what’s happening in front of him I think. The roster needs changes but he’s not one of them. This just isn’t working anymore clearly.

Could certainly be the case, or bad habits, etc. My point is that he's not exactly playing lights out and there's issues with his game.

I'm in total agreement that he's not a change the team needs to make. This is the worst we've seen him and he's still an average to good goaltender.

Reactions: MJF

Chockey22

Jul 12, 2022
Alright folks - get your venting out while you can. Isles will win a game or two soon and the merry band of optimists will be back to talk down to you
the upcoming schedule is tough - it's going to be tough to pull out a win or two when you're not playing Ana or SJ

Nassau Revisited

Jun 16, 2017
I would definitely consider bringing up Iskhakov. See what he can do. Scratch Engvall.
Zero downside. Plenty of options to scratch. Martin, Clutterbuck, Engvall, JGP, and Holmstrom. I am probably leaving someone out as well

Romanov was a -4 in this game, ouch. What has happened to him the past week. He had been playing so good.
He is paired with Pulock now

Green

Nov 13, 2019
It was before last year.
agree, but the writing was on the wall last year, people thought because of the back to back covid cup conference finals* this team had something and didn't want to blow it up, but the team began stinking last year and I really thought Lou would figure it out and start the re-build but he made the idiotic Horvat trade and now this team is doomed to just on the outside looking in playoff status until they are forced to re-build

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Quick has been better than Sorokin this year too. Shesterkin has turned it on in crunch time this season. Sorokin continues to be average or worse.

If we're only going off when Shesterkin is playing his best then yes, he's better.

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
agree, but the writing was on the wall last year, people thought because of the back to back covid cup conference finals* this team had something and didn't want to blow it up, but the team began stinking last year and I really thought Lou would figure it out and start the re-build but he made the idiotic Horvat trade and now this team is doomed to just on the outside looking in playoff status until they are forced to re-build
Idiotic Horvat trade, that’s the transaction your choosing to point out Lou’s flaws in roster building? Geez

Green

Nov 13, 2019
Idiotic Horvat trade, that’s the transaction your choosing to point out Lou’s flaws in roster building? Geez
yes, the team had to start the re-build last year, I pretty much knew it, Horvat has of course been a very good player for the Islanders but what is the point? it only hurts the Islanders as it ensures the Islanders will never be bad enough to get some good prospects and will never be good enough to be a legit contender so what is the point in the trade?

Steve55

Aug 21, 2005
Burnaby, BC, Canada
Absolutely UNACCEPTABLE in the Isles' blown D coverage on Kakko, with 4 Isles standing around, and letting Lafreniere taking a one timer free and clear. The Isles completely got dejected after the 2 Rangers goals in the third. I was pissed when I found out the Isles lost to the Sens 4-3 in OT sometime yesterday afternoon but now it's much tougher to get angry at their incompetence.

Reactions: Nassau Revisited

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
It does, that was a great set up. You need to watch the whole replay. Panarin comes out from the side of the net, Sorokin has to hug the post, Panarin has scored from that area.

You think I didn't watch the whole play? Here's just before that pass happens. Panarin has his back to the net with Dobson all over him. There's a very low percentage that he's even going to shoot that, let alone get a quality shot on net. Sorokin also doesn't bother to look around the rest of the ice to find where guys might be. maybe he does without turning his head but I'd guess he doesn't because he's slow to react and makes almost no attempt to get out to the top of the crease.

It's bad defensive zone coverage, as I have no idea what Pulock is doing (everyone else is good) and it would've been a difficult stop had Sorokin played it better but my point is only that he's not playing to the level he usually does and he needs to be better.

1710704631710.png

Zeeker

Feb 15, 2016
You think I didn't watch the whole play? Here's just before that pass happens. Panarin has his back to the net with Dobson all over him. There's a very low percentage that he's even going to shoot that, let alone get a quality shot on net. Sorokin also doesn't bother to look around the rest of the ice to find where guys might be. maybe he does without turning his head but I'd guess he doesn't because he's slow to react and makes almost no attempt to get out to the top of the crease.

It's bad defensive zone coverage, as I have no idea what Pulock is doing (everyone else is good) and it would've been a difficult stop had Sorokin played it better but my point is only that he's not playing to the level he usually does and he needs to be better.

View attachment 837513
PK, I thought you had work to get done. Your boss is not gonna be happy with you - unless there really aren’t any consequences for you like this Isles squad

Reactions: Osakahaus

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
But seriously im more amazed at how that entire 4th goal sequence happened. The EXACT same shit this season and they lose from it. But its ilya's fault right?

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
PK, I thought you had work to get done. Your boss is not gonna be happy with you - unless there really aren’t any consequences for you like this Isles squad

Can't watch but I still work at a computer. ;)

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Come on. He is better. Before this season you could make an argument. This year Sorokin has been a middle of the road average goalie.
Before this recent hot streak, Sorokin had better numbers this year than Igor. And he’s on a first place team. He is not better has Sorokin letting some bad goals throughout the year absolutely but more often than not. He’s bailed us out and kept us in games also, he’s leading the league. and shots against he seeing more shots and getting peppered and no help. It should be a lot worse. Since Roy took over our team, defense has been better but it’s still not good. You cannot make a definitive argument that Igor is definitely better if his numbers were so much better, I’d say absolutely but they’re not.

LAIslanderFan

Nov 18, 2010
Los Angeles, CA & Surprise, AZ

View attachment 837513
Regardless of whether there’s a low percentage of whether Panarin is going to shoot that, every goalie in the league will hug the post on that play. I’m shocked you’re blaming Sorokin on that goal. He can’t leave the post under any circumstances there.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Regardless of whether there’s a low percentage of whether Panarin is going to shoot that, every goalie in the league will hug the post on that play. I’m shocked you’re blaming Sorokin on that goal. He can’t leave the post under any circumstances there.
The ENTIRE TEAM has been trash save for Bo and Palmieri on this skid

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
yes, the team had to start the re-build last year, I pretty much knew it, Horvat has of course been a very good player for the Islanders but what is the point? it only hurts the Islanders as it ensures the Islanders will never be bad enough to get some good prospects and will never be good enough to be a legit contender so what is the point in the trade?
They are never full on rebuilding and sucking like hawks or sharks are right now. Horvat, Barzal, Dobson,Romano are Core skaters right now. There can be change everywhere else, I’ve posted earlier I’d Buyout or trade Lee and just change the leadership group in off-season. I’d keep Nelson, Palmieri hoping to bank on good seasons in contract years and get two LW for top two lines. I’d do what I can to get rid of Engvall and Holmstrom and get more suited wingers for a third line and hope Pageau can fill that third center role. Cizikas with Maclean and maybe Fasching can start out as your fourth line. I really think this is close to what Roy has to be thinking, he sees what we are all seeing.

Absolutely UNACCEPTABLE in the Isles' blown D coverage on Kakko, with 4 Isles standing around, and letting Lafreniere taking a one timer free and clear. The Isles completely got dejected after the 2 Rangers goals in the third. I was pissed when I found out the Isles lost to the Sens 4-3 in OT sometime yesterday afternoon but now it's much tougher to get angry at their incompetence.
It wasnt coverage but just effort, I don’t like to criticize effort because it’s not fair as we aren’t down there but that was just piss poor effort.

Reactions: PK Cronin

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
Just slightly off-topic, but it just shows what a different mentality there is between Lou/the Isles and a team like Vegas. Just think to yourself how awful this season has mostly been for us, with a few nice stretches here and there. Now look at Vegas and see they have 4 points more than us. FOUR. One team did nothing at the deadline, the other added Tomas Hertl and Noah Hanifin. Think if you took Aho and Engvall out of the lineup and put in Hertl and Hanifin. This would be a no doubt playoff team and probably 3rd in the division. It was the wrong decision to not bring in any help at the deadline.

Reactions: Nassau Revisited

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
But seriously im more amazed at how that entire 4th goal sequence happened. The EXACT same shit this season and they lose from it. But its ilya's fault right?

It's not his fault but he didn't make a save he needs to make there.

Engvall f***ed up by being his soft usual self and not actually stapling the guy to the wall. Pulock made the most egregious mistake for me, going to help when there was a defenseman already on that side and covering the only player lower than the puck so he left the most valuable piece of ice. Then Sorokin lets in that shot that isn't the easiest save but one he needs to make. No traffic in front and square to the shooter.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad