GDT: GDT #67 New York Islanders @ New York Rangers | March 17th | 1:00 PM | F/5-2 L

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
Vegas won the cup last year, Isles were a quick out in the first round. And Hertl won't be back for a while. If Isles gave up the assets Vegas gave up to acquire Hanifin and Hertl, it would have set the Isles back another couple years. I'm hoping LL stood pat because he sees what most of us see - this team is not good enough.
The deadline is one of the few times in a season where there is opportunity to make change. The isles are going to need multiple deals to get back to relevancy. It was a missed opportunity to start that change.

Chockey22

Jul 12, 2022
The deadline is one of the few times in a season where there is opportunity to make change. The isles are going to need multiple deals to get back to relevancy. It was a missed opportunity to start that change.
Perhaps - though generally the deadline is when you deal UFA's of value - we had none. Maybe could have got late picks for Clutter and Reilly, but it's hard to move money without getting cents on the dollar at the deadline. I think the draft and offseason is the best opportunity to make changes.

I think Roy is going to have input on roster this off-season, if he and Lou can agree I’m ok with Lou still being involved in it.
It is hard to have faith in LL after last offseason with Engvall and Mayfield contracts. Messing up on one of them - maybe - but on both seems inexcusable.

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
Why are so many teams in east going to get better but yet we can’t, yeah Devils, Sabres, Senators have youth but why is that some sort of guarantee they are going to become contenders. There is going to be retool, it’s coming in off-season for sure and perhaps that mimics a rebuild a bit.
The Senators are likely redoing their whole rebuild…again. Being young doesn’t mean much and doesn’t guarantee success. Coaching and aggressive ownership makes all the difference.

Reactions: nyisles1992

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Tough game to watch, which is becoming a trend again.

That Brodzinski goal really sums up our games agains the Rags for me.... Comes in, technically slew foots Aho, who then looks like an absolute tool sliding around beside the goal, which gives the Rags just enough time to send that pass-shot to Brodzinski who is all alone in front of the net and tips in a good, but actually stoppable, goal.

Alas, the whole team looked unable to do anything as of app. the 35-minute mark.

Just not the time of year to only be getting one of eight possible points.

They did done gone out there and got all hot at the trade deadline, just to start flopping now that the TD dust has settled.

I find myself already wondering which young Romanov-like NHLer Lou is gonna trade our first for come draft day?

BrockLobster

Feb 11, 2013
Long Beach, NY
The drought is entering my head with more frequency than it did a decade ago. As far as the forecast between now and 2037 goes, the team looks to hit bottom around 2030:
  • no current prospects
  • Horvat in mid 30s
  • Barzal, whose game is built on speed, will be 32 and slowing. remember Jason Blake as a Leaf.
  • Dobson and Romanov will turn 30
  • currently too much talent to draft in top 4 for a few years
Figuring in takes about 5 years for a draft pick outside of the top 4 to pay significant dividends, the next generation of cup-contending Islanders should arrive around 2033.

Dammit. Theyre gonna suck until 2033? 2034 cant get here soon enough

Reactions: attilatheislander

Nassau Revisited

Jun 16, 2017
This offseason is an easy time to change the bottom 6 which has brought almost nothing this season and makes up the worst penalty kill in the league.

Let Martin, Clutterbuck, and Whalstrom walk as free agents. Trade one of Cizikas or JGP, it doesn’t matter which one they are the same player at this point. Just trade whoever doesn’t have more negative value.

More bold moves would be to trade Lee at 50 percent retained or buy him out. Also trade one of Pelech/Pulock to revamp the D, they should bring back some type of value

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
This offseason is an easy time to change the bottom 6 which has brought almost nothing this season and makes up the worst penalty kill in the league.

Let Martin, Clutterbuck, and Whalstrom walk as free agents. Trade one of Cizikas or JGP, it doesn’t matter which one they are the same player at this point. Just trade whoever doesn’t have more negative value.

More bold moves would be to trade Lee at 50 percent retained or buy him out. Also trade one of Pelech/Pulock to revamp the D, they should bring back some type of value
Now, is this a remake or a retool? Maybe it’s a refresh. I know it’s a re-something.

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
Perhaps - though generally the deadline is when you deal UFA's of value - we had none. Maybe could have got late picks for Clutter and Reilly, but it's hard to move money without getting cents on the dollar at the deadline. I think the draft and offseason is the best opportunity to make changes.

It is hard to have faith in LL after last offseason with Engvall and Mayfield contracts. Messing up on one of them - maybe - but on both seems inexcusable.
Actually think Mayfield might be ok, he got hurt in first game and never really got healthy. I would not have signed him but I do think and hope if he can get healthy he can still contribute.

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
Didn’t they mention early in the broadcast that the isles treated it like a true road game and after senators game took a bus to a Manhattan hotel for the night? If so, why? To get a bad nights sleep in a strange room, when your home for the night was around the corner and could have easily drove to Manhattan on Sunday morning?

islesmb

Sponsor
Jan 14, 2007
Myrtle Beach, SC (from Bellmore)
Tough game to watch, which is becoming a trend again.

That Brodzinski goal really sums up our games agains the Rags for me.... Comes in, technically slew foots Aho, who then looks like an absolute tool sliding around beside the goal, which gives the Rags just enough time to send that pass-shot to Brodzinski who is all alone in front of the net and tips in a good, but actually stoppable, goal.

Alas, the whole team looked unable to do anything as of app. the 35-minute mark.

Just not the time of year to only be getting one of eight possible points.

They did done gone out there and got all hot at the trade deadline, just to start flopping now that the TD dust has settled.

I find myself already wondering which young Romanov-like NHLer Lou is gonna trade our first for come draft day?
They kept saying Aho fell down on the broadcast and wouldn't show that part of the replay, I could've sworn he was tripped. It was ticking me off lol.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
That's what usually happens when a team has a losing streak, by the by.
nothinggetspastyou.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Levi Walking Bear

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad