GDT: GDT #59 New York Islanders @ Detroit Red Wings | February 29th | 7 PM | F/5-3 W

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls
When I saw Engvall out there in the last minute i wanted to reach through the TV and strangle Roy. Then he gets a ENG, lol.
Funny about that last 1:11 or so - JGP, who wins a lot of FOs, lost the one after the icing pretty cleanly. He has lost that critical faceoff a few times this year. He also failed to pick up his responsibility on goal two. Did that in the Dallas game on the Stankoven goal. But I thought it was interesting to see Engvall and Holmstron out there with Zeke. They must have been paying attention in game because this was Engvall's best game in a long time.

Beyond the obvious performances - I thought Reilly was really good tonight. MacLean did everything a 4th line player should be doing. Don't recall of he was out there for goal 3 against. I know Martin and pretty sure Clutter was as well.

Reactions: LeapOnOver

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
For the 2,095,847,187th time...

Any time I see someone post here that Barzal is a problem I think they're a total fool (at best).
You have quite a few fools here. They’re either trolling or just dumb. I’ve said it many times here but I’ll keep saying it. If Barzal was not in Trots very tight defense first system he would have been a consistent 80 point player.

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
Barzal is slowly becoming my favorite player…shh…

But but but Barzal doesn’t put up 200 points like Wayne and doesn’t score 50 in 50, he is also a horrible goalie, and he can’t shoot lefty.

The Barzal hate is a complete joke. Barzal is a fantastic player, he finally has 1 decent linemate and he’s pacing for ~90 points. Give him another top line winger and he will easily break 100 points. Barzal has carried this offense and is the biggest reason we won the past 2 games.

Barzal, Dobson, Sorokin, Horvat, Romanov, Pulock. Build around them.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
But but but Barzal doesn’t put up 200 points like Wayne and doesn’t score 50 in 50, he is also a horrible goalie, and he can’t shoot lefty.

The Barzal hate is a complete joke. Barzal is a fantastic player, he finally has 1 decent linemate and he’s pacing for ~90 points. Give him another top line winger and he will easily break 100 points. Barzal has carried this offense and is the biggest reason we won the past 2 games.

(Fending off urges of sarcasm…ahem)

Objectively, he’s had a few inconveniences, like many do. I can roll with that; he is facilitating out there…on a regular basis.

Horvat is his Robin.

Last edited:

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC

Current Barzal hate is a complete joke.

The hate in the beginning of the season and up until that OTL in Vancouver where he strangely left Quinn Hughes allowing a breakaway game winner, was warranted. He was still doing stupid things that were holding him back from greatness.

Since 11/15/23, he's been f***ing phenomenal.

BrockLobster

Feb 11, 2013
Long Beach, NY

Yea but sometimes they lose and its all his fault!

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
(Fending off urges of sarcasm…ahem)

Objectively, he’s had a few inconveniences, like many do. I can roll with that; he is facilitating out there…on a regular basis.

Horvat is his Robin.

Does he make mistakes? Absolutely, but he is also the straw that stirs the drink. Creates so much offensively, and is the only forward other teams need to game plan around. He is a top 20-30 forward, signed long term at a fair, if not slightly below market rate. We need more Barzal esque players.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Isles win this game in spite of themselves
I am so tired... so so tired of Kyle Palmieri. Like I get it sometimes when he can't make it to the redline to dump it in, but there are other times where I almost throw things at the television. I get it that a line with Martin & Clutterbuck will get hemmed in - that's physical not mental. But wtaf.

(and, yes, he's been an asset on the PP, no doubt. but... hell!)

Reactions: WangMustGo

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I am so tired... so so tired of Kyle Palmieri. Like I get it sometimes when he can't make it to the redline to dump it in, but there are other times where I almost throw things at the television. I get it that a line with Martin & Clutterbuck will get hemmed in - that's physical not mental. But wtaf.

(and, yes, he's been an asset on the PP, no doubt. but... hell!)
I don't find Palmieri as egregious as you do. For me that would be Aho. When he's in the D zone we're in effect a man short (no pun intended). Sometimes Palmieri appears to be pressing and making bad decisions with the puck. I don't know what else to say.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Does he make mistakes? Absolutely, but he is also the straw that stirs the drink. Creates so much offensively, and is the only forward other teams need to game plan around. He is a top 20-30 forward, signed long term at a fair, if not slightly below market rate. We need more Barzal esque players.

Yep, that’s pretty much what I’m saying. Let’s see continuity over years, then I’ll put him in that category. For this year, he’s earned every cent, but 2, from that 9 (someone else can tell us) contract.

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
Yep, that’s pretty much what I’m saying. Let’s see continuity over years, then I’ll put him in that category. For this year, he’s earned every cent, but 2, from that 9 (someone else can tell us) contract.
In a few years, that 9 million will look like good value, assuming the kid stays healthy. Just my dime store 2 cents

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad