GDT: GDT #58 New York Islanders @ Dallas Stars | February 26th | 8 PM | F/3-2 OTW

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Enlighten us on what you would like fans of the team and player to do after that ending. Every post of yours just comes off in such a know-it-all tone (even though I do agree with some).
Certainly, be happy for it. No different than the last OT vs Dallas. What did he do on the PP in a tie game with 6 mins to go?

He makes very nice plays at times, but it’s all the other little things that he’s weak at that are masked bc he makes a very nice play that gets everyone all hopes up again. Roy even hinted at it saying some of these guys have mental lapses that are causing their problems- he’s definitely one of them.

If he played in a Canadian market it would be discussed a lot more, but he doesn’t, so he’s lucky in that sense.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
100% the strength and desire in the board battle to maintain possession. That was key. Will to win. Those are the plays you want guys making. It’s easy to hustle when you see an empty net and you’re trying to score but when the puck is along the boards and you’re fighting with guys, that’s the hard part of hockey but eventually you get possession and it pays and you get a goal.

Absolutely. That's why I love playoff hockey; it's full of those 50-50's, with maximum intensity. Whenever Barzal gets there again, I suspect he will raise his game; much like he did during the ECF runs.

Reactions: mm11 and SI90

Potvottier

Jan 3, 2024
A solid game by everyone. We still make too many soft passes for my liking, but I do feel like we are playing more aggressive, which I like. Sorokin looked great. Roy was Mixing up the lines a bit which I liked. I think most teams do that on the road to avoid line matching, but I like the line combos that Roy put out there.

Horvat is awesome. the shooter we needed. when he and Barzal are on, it is beautiful. i think he is my favorite Isle.

Barzal is in a different world sometimes, and a give-away machine on others. concurrently cringy and amazing. i hateitloveit.
The team was playing with more energy, and was working hard and battling.
this is the last year they are together, and i hope they realize that they can play with the big boys, and make a good run.

LGI!!

Reactions: leeroggy

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
Everyone wants a tear down rebuild until it happens and team sucks for three years.
The team sucks now. Last night was a nice win, but let's not delude ourselves. This team is a fringe playoff team that will likely not make it this year. They're moving in the wrong direction and a rebuild is in order. Keep the 5 guys that make up the core and trade everyone else for whatever picks can be had.

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
The team sucks now. Last night was a nice win, but let's not delude ourselves. This team is a fringe playoff team that will likely not make it this year. They're moving in the wrong direction and a rebuild is in order. Keep the 5 guys that make up the core and trade everyone else for whatever picks can be had.

Did someone say otherwise? I think everyone was just appreciating a solid effort...for a change.

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
Did someone say otherwise? I think everyone was just appreciating a solid effort...for a change.
The game was great and Barzy's effort incredible. But I see it over and over on this board. If we win the next one, there will be postings galore stating "we just need a tweak, no rebuild necessary". "We'll suck for three years or more if we rebuild".

The Real JT

Louie louie, oh no, me gotta go
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
The game was great and Barzy's effort incredible. But I see it over and over on this board. If we win the next one, there will be postings galore stating "we just need a tweak, no rebuild necessary". "We'll suck for three years or more if we rebuild".
I’m with you. Glad they won and more importantly the OT effort and elite play by Barzal.

If Lou has any plans to retool around the TDL, I only hope that last night’s game did not give him pause to think that this team warrants one more run by acquiring talent at the TDL.

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY

I think that's been an ongoing debate for years now. I don't think that a few decent games are going move the needle for opinions on how this team should proceed.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
That was a fun finish to the game. It was almost like his time in the ASG gave Barzal additional confidence that his skating is transcendent.

Very early Barzal was reminiscent of very early Yzerman (without the finish)... But these days he's looking a bit more like Federov. It's like he can skate effortlessly as well as everyone else giving their best effort, but then ramp it up after being on the ice for 50 seconds. If he has to play center for a year while NYI retool on the wing, it would be fine.

The Real JT

Louie louie, oh no, me gotta go
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
That was a fun finish to the game. It was almost like his time in the ASG gave Barzal additional confidence that his skating is transcendent.

Very early Barzal was reminiscent of very early Yzerman (without the finish)... But these days he's looking a bit more like Federov. It's like he can skate effortlessly as well as everyone else giving their best effort, but then ramp it up after being on the ice for 50 seconds. If he has to play center for a year while NYI retool on the wing, it would be fine.
Completely agree and I’ll add something more obvious.

He’s never had a linemate with the skill of Horvat. Chemistry takes time to develop and as good as they looked last year, they’ve taken the next step.

Truth be told, they’ve also never had a LW to complement their skill. If somehow the Isles can acquire one, this could be the best Isles first line we’ve seen since the dynasty years.

How’s that for hyperbole?

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC

He’s never had a linemate with the skill of Horvat. Chemistry takes time to develop and as good as they looked last year, they’ve taken the next step.

Truth be told, they’ve also never had a LW to complement their skill. If somehow the Isles can acquire one, this could be the best Isles first line we’ve seen since the dynasty years.

The BoZal chemistry stands out to me on this play, that unfortunately didn't wind up in a goal.

Barzal isn't even looking at Bo, yet he splits the middle without hesitation and Bo hits him perfectly with a mid-air sauce spot feed.

1709045034128.png

1709045192428.png

lazycop

Dave's not here.
Mar 25, 2006
For every one of those Barzal OT shifts like last night there's inevitably one where he stays on the ice too long and costs us a win. But for today he's Saint Matt I guess.

Reactions: Throttle and MJF

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
The BoZal chemistry stands out to me on this play, that unfortunately didn't wind up in a goal.

Barzal isn't even looking at Bo, yet he splits the middle without hesitation and Bo hits him perfectly with a mid-air sauce spot feed.

View attachment 825941

View attachment 825944
I just love it when Barzal does that. It's unstoppable. Either he's going to get the pass, or Horvat has an shot (because the strong side defender covers the lane instead of Horvat).. Sure it might miss because of a lack of execution (or an unbelievable save), but the D can't take it away.

Reactions: Mr Misunderstood

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC

Lou will have to retool the other 3 lines.

Reactions: saintunspecified

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Lou will have to retool the other 3 lines.
Shed salary, make openings to be opportunistic because you can't plan chances to acquire impact players (as opposed to prospects), and do what can be done - retool the bottom 6. My point is that it doesn't matter to me whether during that time Horvat and Barzal are on one line or split up - one can't pull top 6 forwards out of hats.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Probably because the players can’t consistently deliver game over game.

Konk

Mar 11, 2008

Marchessault played for Roy in the Q and is a FA this summer...

Reactions: MJF

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad