GDT: GDT #4 New York Islanders @ Buffalo Sabres | October 21st | 7 PM | F/L 3-1

JKP

Sep 19, 2004
Halifax, NS
Woof. That was gross to watch. They couldn’t even make basic passes. Burn the tape and they better come out flying on Tuesday. Hopefully Mayfield is back.

Reactions: MJF

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
I read a stat once that teams playing on the road, on the second game of a back to back, after a home win, lose like 80% of the time.

Regardless, that was a terrible game. Can't believe I decided to skip a night out for that.

Zeeker

Feb 15, 2016
I read a stat once that teams playing on the road, on the second game of a back to back, after a home win, lose like 80% of the time.

Regardless, that was a terrible game. Can't believe I decided to skip a night out for that.
An OT loss against the Devils may count as a moral victory with the current state of this team, but not an actual victory :)

Reactions: Doshell Propivo

Olliemets

Mar 1, 2018
Croton on Hudson, NY
The overall lack of skill we all know about willmake this a long season. Just missing, just getting to puck a 1/2 second late, whiffing on passes and shots, usual weak PP, etc: Can't say I'm alarmed or surprised....just resigned to treading water all year. I suppose they can't run a non standing around passing PP because if they move around like everyone else on their P it breaks down and gets cleared.

Sigh

Reactions: Bood12

The Real JT

No diving allowed
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
We will be competitive all year. As suspected the team won't be the best or the worst. Stay healthy and give the fans perhaps a round or two. That's all I got. Enjoy the weekend fellas.
4 games in and at times we’ve looked much better than expected and then there’s last night.

I’m keeping an open mind until Thanksgiving. After that, no promises.

Reactions: mm11 and leeroggy

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls
Nice screen by Dobson on goal two. Nice of Aho to keep Cozens company on goal three. Can't help but notice how awful Pelech has been with Dobson as his partner.

Puzzling decision to take Holmstrom out of the lineup. A far more responsible player than Wahlstrom, Fasching or Gauthier. Maybe he gets the Salo treatment and we see him after Thanksgiving.

Worth mentioning that at the end of the 4v4 in NJ Friday we had Aho and Dobson on the ice with Hughes out there.At home. The coaching staff is Deficient.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005

That is about right. NYI/NYR/NJD much like ANA/LAK and FLA/TB play the most teams by far at home off b2bs but they do not do nearly as well in them as you'd think because the teams usually are not traveling at all or are not traveling that far. So likely while you have some fatigue they are less tired than say if NYI plays at home then plays at MTL or CBJ the next night. The biggest disparity of all is the home and home b2b...the league tried going back to them a few years ago for 2-3 seasons but the NHLPA evidently complained about the fact if you lost the first one at home you might as well not even take the ice the next night on the road...going back to 1985 the home team wins game 2 92% of the time in those if they won game 1 on the road.

By far though one of the biggest changes with Lambert vs Trotz is the team is bad in the 2nd game of back to backs...thank goodness they have the fewest in the league this season and in 4 of them the team they play in game 2 also played the night prior

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Puzzling decision to take Holmstrom out of the lineup. A far more responsible player than Wahlstrom, Fasching or Gauthier. Maybe he gets the Salo treatment and we see him after Thanksgiving.
You want to get everyone on the roster into a game sooner rather than later. But considering that Lambert isn't looking to take Clutterbuck or Martin out of the lineup, then Holmstrom and Fasching are the low hanging fruit.

Reactions: MarsTBOW

MarsTBOW

Jun 30, 2014
Ct.
Speed gives this team Fits.
Our D looked out of position constantly last night.
Hopefully Mayfield is back soon.

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls
You want to get everyone on the roster into a game sooner rather than later. But considering that Lambert isn't looking to take Clutterbuck or Martin out of the lineup, then Holmstrom and Fasching are the low hanging fruit.
Don't disagree with the sentiment however, the actual decisions are questionable. 13 minutes of 5v5 time for Gauthier is suspect. Dobson leading the team in ice time really the plan?

If a player like Holmstrom is part of the future, I don't agree with sitting him to get career tweener Gauthier in. If he deserved to sit that's something else.

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
Well, Lambert is opening it up, playing those AHL tweeners, and ‘prospects’ just like the fans asked for.

Remember, Trotz shackled some players and didn’t play some others? 2 seasons on and you’ll see…it’s the players.

You mean to tell me Barry Trotz knows more about hockey than the average Redditor?

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
That is about right. NYI/NYR/NJD much like ANA/LAK and FLA/TB play the most teams by far at home off b2bs but they do not do nearly as well in them as you'd think because the teams usually are not traveling at all or are not traveling that far. So likely while you have some fatigue they are less tired than say if NYI plays at home then plays at MTL or CBJ the next night. The biggest disparity of all is the home and home b2b...the league tried going back to them a few years ago for 2-3 seasons but the NHLPA evidently complained about the fact if you lost the first one at home you might as well not even take the ice the next night on the road...going back to 1985 the home team wins game 2 92% of the time in those if they won game 1 on the road.

By far though one of the biggest changes with Lambert vs Trotz is the team is bad in the 2nd game of back to backs...thank goodness they have the fewest in the league this season and in 4 of them the team they play in game 2 also played the night prior
Ah, maybe that's the stat I'm thinking of. Thanks.

Unless we have another game or two like this in the coming weeks, I will chalk it up to an aberration.

Reactions: Strummergas

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
You mean to tell me Barry Trotz knows more about hockey than the average Redditor?
Trotz knew how to play the team he had in the remaining seasons of how the game was played.

Players had defined roles that they fit into. Now? It’s a bit of mish mash of hope and dreams with the same players that were supposed to be the ones to step up.

Be really hilarious to see all those that wanted the neck tattoo to stick around, what a disaster, and you think Sorokin was gonna wanna play with that clown?

Reactions: MikeyMike01

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
Not liking the Barzal on the wing thing. The team needs Barzal's playmaking skills at center. Sure Horvat takes faceoffs better but he's no playmaker and seems to be stunting what Barzal brings to the table. I say switch their positions and put Horvat on the wing instead.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
You need a different obsession (or maybe a hobby).
I’ve got plenty, but the amount of ‘reasons’ why a certain player ain’t the person the fans and team want or believe is quite amusing year over year.

He’s literally getting lapped by younger and better talent throughout the league, while this team hopes and prayers he’s Mr. ROY again for 8 more years…

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
Barzal used to be so exciting to watch. Now he is just another player.
You can thank Barry Trotz and Lambert for that. They've programmed him to be the perfect drone devoid of any creativity and curtailed his natural instincts. Don't get me wrong I love what Barry Trotz has done for defensive side of the Isles game but making Barzal a part of that machinery cost the Isles from having one of the more dynamic centers in the game to someone who looks lost playing on the wing of all places. All you have to do is look at his stats and how they fell after his rookie year. I didn't mind the figure skating. I think that is what he did best to throw a monkey wrench into the opposing D. Let Barzal be Barzal. I want the sudden stops and changes in direction. I want the loop da loops, the pirouette's, the dipsy doodles- the playmaking. Critics will say well look at the cough ups. I say his offensive output when he was allowed to do what he can do overshadowed those few cough ups every now and then and he was doing those at a time when he was still learning his game. He should be in his prime right now but he looks like he's taken a step backwards. Now he is INDEED just another player. Unleash the Kraken I say and get him off the wing ASAP. Horvat is no playmaker but he's good at faceoffs. Too much of a trade off.

Last edited:

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
I’ve got plenty, but the amount of ‘reasons’ why a certain player ain’t the person the fans and team want or believe is quite amusing year over year.

He’s literally getting lapped by younger and better talent throughout the league, while this team hopes and prayers he’s Mr. ROY again for 8 more years…
You're looking for things that aren't there. Not sure why someone suggesting a flipping Barzal and Horvat on that first line causes such a reaction.

And no, not literally.

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island

He isnt Hughes, Mackinnon, or any other superstar. He is a good 1st line player. People need to see him for what he is. He is the best forward on this team, but that says more about Lou than anyone else.

He oozes speed and skill and people think that automatically makes him a 100+ point player, but it doesnt. Some of that blame falls on him, some on coaching, and some on the roster construction. People love to hate on Barzal, but he makes this team better, Lou needs to find more talent to add to this forward group, not take away the little we have.

Reactions: Levi Walking Bear

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
He isnt Hughes, Mackinnon, or any other superstar. He is a good 1st line player. People need to see him for what he is. He is the best forward on this team, but that says more about Lou than anyone else.

He oozes speed and skill and people think that automatically makes him a 100+ point player, but it doesnt. Some of that blame falls on him, some on coaching, and some on the roster construction. People love to hate on Barzal, but he makes this team better, Lou needs to find more talent to add to this forward group, not take away the little we have.
Put Barzal on the Devils and let him play HIS game and then see how he stacks up against Hughes. Hughes would not have the same point production if he was playing on the Isles as well. For the Isles current system to work there had to be a trade off and that's in it's offensive production. I just think they are stifling Barzal natural instincts far too much in favor of defense.

You add Barzal's edge work to the Devil's game and they would be totally unstoppable. The Isles have totally destroyed what this kid can bring to the game. They've kept him on a team playing the most boring system in the league. What a waste.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad