GDT: GDT #22 New York Islanders @ Carolina Hurricanes | November 30th | 7 PM | F/5-4 OTW

Duanesutter12

Member of Lou's Orchestra
Jul 8, 2013
Hong Kong
Bryan Berard was the #1 overall pick
And we did draft Chara . . late bloomer but 1st yeqr eligible likely HOF.
I like Dobson better than Bedard. We never got to see Bedard's full potential but I still think Dobson is and certainly will be better. I actually never could watch Chara as a youngster with the Isles because I had left the Island by that point and technology hadn't caught up yet but I would obviously not go there with Dobson. That's rarified air!

I think Bryan Berard had a lot of potential. Jeff Norton had a lot of potential. Vladimir Malakhov had a lot of potential. And we had Devon Toews, who is a rich man now.
Man it's painful to see what Toews has become. To think that of all the defenseman Garf drafted Toews would turn out to be the best and that we would basically be forced to get rid of him just kills me!

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
An Evason hire + Hanifin trade has this team second in the Metro come TDL
Evason gets the Sharks job when they need to get rid of Quinn.... Isles have to go bigger than that like Sutter, because the window is narrow.

We'd be 2nd pushing 1st in Metro if Lane Lambert went back to selling used Thunderbirds.... I mean he less positive control of the team than Flash or Fred Flintstone.

I like Dobson better than Bedard. We never got to see Bedard's full potential but I still think Dobson is and certainly will be better. I actually never could watch Chara as a youngster with the Isles because I had left the Island by that point and technology hadn't caught up yet but I would obviously not go there with Dobson. That's rarified air!

Man it's painful to see what Toews has become. To think that of all the defenseman Garf drafted Toews would turn out to be the best and that we would basically be forced to get rid of him just kills me!
I think the lesson there is simply if you need to shed salary it can't be from the blue line, our blue line depreciated with Leddy gone and then Toews, and we have been hoping Aho would become one of the them and he is just a less intelligent Thomas Hickey

Reactions: Duanesutter12

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
This is elite stuff from Dobson on the OT goal. Defends and breaks up the scoring chance and has the wherewithal to get up quick, move the puck up ice and also join the rush.

He’s barely accomplished more than Lambert, he’s like 8-14 in the playoffs with 3 first round exits.
Do you see what he did with the wild the last few years? The roster wasn’t spectacular and he had them as 100pt teams. Lambert has never.

Duanesutter12

Member of Lou's Orchestra
Jul 8, 2013
Hong Kong

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Regarding coaching choices… there’s so much behind the scenes things and player personnel impact that it’s not worth it as a fan to “die on a hill” over any one coach in particular.

But with that said, I was always a Trotz fan going back to his early days in Nashville.

More recently, I have liked the way the Wild played with Evason the past few years.

And basically set a pick on Jarvis without actually interferring!
I feel the Brind’Amour Canes are the best at setting picks since the Babcock Red Wings.

So good to see it turned on them for a change.

Last edited:

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
I can't think of a player in the history of the NHL improved more from their debut to their peak than Chara. I did see him, and I can't imagine a player improving more that he did.

I assume you mean Berard, who had a lot of potential. But you're forgetting the young NYI defenseman who had imo more potential & talent than all of them. I thought Malakhov had Hall of Fame level talent. I don't think Dobson is as talented, but I feel certain he's prone to fewer... distractions. (Malakhov wasn't alone. I think Mogilny had Bossy/Lafleur level talent, and did not consistently reach that level due to similar 'distractions'. Obviously Malakhov's talent was a couple tiers below that.)

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Did anyone watch Bolduc this game? I noticed him once...the fact that I barely noticed him probably means he played...1. Almost no minutes and 2. didn't make any mistakes.

I guess that's something.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Getting outshot 43-16 is downright embarassing. Landbert is worse than Capuano.

Reactions: Lek

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Getting outshot 43-16 is downright embarassing. Landbert is worse than Capuano.

I seem to remember having quite a few games like this under Trotz. Where all other fans were clamoring 'unsustainable' and 'PDO' and the like...

By the eye test this game looked a lot different than those days, but I am curious what the high danger chance numbers were from this game?

Edit - Yeah it was pretty bad. MoneyPuck.com

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Lame Lambert

Tahoeblue

Nov 29, 2019
Reno/Tahoe
If we are talking possible coaches, I like Boudreau. I know it would never happen, but it would certainly be interesting if Lou hired Patrick Roy.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
If we are talking possible coaches, I like Boudreau. I know it would never happen, but it would certainly be interesting if Lou hired Patrick Roy.

Boudreau is a no defense kind of guy so I don't think Lamoriello would even entertain the idea, but he almost always had good regular season teams. His issue was the playoffs. I'd roll the dice with someone like that even though it's counter to how I think hockey should be played.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
We need more coaches...We need as many coaches as there are on football teams..

wait..

we tried that already, didn't we? 8)

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
At this point, I dont see how there can be any dispute that Varly should be the number one goalie until proven otherwise. He has FAR outplayed Sorokin.
I don't think Varlamov, at his age, can handle the 60% start workload. So I disagree there. But I don't think there's any question that Varlamov's positioning & anticipation have been better that Sorokin's.

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
I don't think Varlamov, at his age, can handle the 60% start workload. So I disagree there. But I don't think there's any question that Varlamov's positioning & anticipation have been better that Sorokin's.
Yes they need to play Varly to settle things down and let Sorokin get his composure back. Good luck with Lambert seeing this.

Reactions: RWWallpaper

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad