GDT: GDT #22 New York Islanders @ Carolina Hurricanes | November 30th | 7 PM | F/5-4 OTW

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
This is elite stuff from Dobson on the OT goal. Defends and breaks up the scoring chance and has the wherewithal to get up quick, move the puck up ice and also join the rush.

Do you see what he did with the wild the last few years? The roster wasn’t spectacular and he had them as 100pt teams. Lambert has never.
It kinda looks like he rode solid to exceptional goaltending, which plummeted this season. Hence, he’s out. He’s really out bc Billy G is doing job protection.

The Wild are generally a meh team for most of their history. Cool, a 100 point team that folded in round one. I thought the idea was to be better than that?

I don't think Varlamov, at his age, can handle the 60% start workload. So I disagree there. But I don't think there's any question that Varlamov's positioning & anticipation have been better that Sorokin's.
Sorokin has been pretty meh since the playoffs, he was kinda meh in that series too. He should have been pulled in favor of Varly.

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
If this is the "real" Sorokin, like the poster above said since last playoffs, that 8 year extension is not gonna look nearly as good as we thought.

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
If this is the "real" Sorokin, like the poster above said since last playoffs, that 8 year extension is not gonna look nearly as good as we thought.
No he's just been Lambertized. This is the same disease inflicted upon Barzal when Trotz became coach. HIs numbers plummeted as well, but for some good reason it looks like the shackles have been unlocked and we are seeing more the Barzal we saw when he entered the league. I hope this continues. Call it what you will- Doug Weight or Capuano hockey THIS is the way Barzal should be allowed to play the game. If the system is stabilized where Sorokin's defenders are not leaving him out to dry we should see the talented goaltender we saw a couple of years ago. Until that happens they need to ride Varly.

There were some good things I saw yesterday. The Isles forwards were cheating in the neutral zone and there were stretch passes being made- things we never saw under Trotz. Playing to win. So maybe Lambert has a chance here to change thing for the better.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
There are a few different "schools" of pro coaches. The most common one is the Tom Landry composed and stoic type who leads by example. I'm not sure where exactly Brind'Amour fits in. Maybe the if-I-weren't-a-coach-I'd-be-a-serial-killer school of coaching? I get nervous just watching the guy. He makes Gallant seem like Bob Ross by comparison

Reactions: Mr Misunderstood

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
There are a few different "schools" of pro coaches. The most common one is the Tom Landry composed and stoic type who leads by example. I'm not sure where exactly Brind'Amour fits in. Maybe the if-I-weren't-a-coach-I'd-be-a-serial-killer school of coaching? I get nervous just watching the guy. He makes Gallant seem like Bob Ross by comparison
The CAR players absolutely love him. He's an ex star player, stays in shape, is very transparent and direct with the players, but at the same time very supportive, knows his Xs and Os, is a great teacher, and is like one of the guys but with the respect of the team. He relates to them very well.

Reactions: doublechili

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC

No chance Rod could be a serial killer, he'd be caught after the first amateur sketch.

Tahoeblue

Nov 29, 2019
Reno/Tahoe
I have missed the last 2 games. Quick question. Who is playing with Horvat and Barzal and how has Reilly looked?

THANK YOU

The Wahligator

Nov 27, 2015
Long Island
I have missed the last 2 games. Quick question. Who is playing with Horvat and Barzal and how has Reilly looked?

THANK YOU
1. Lee

2. Really good skater and always looking to create offensively. Prone to turnovers and giveaways though. I’ve liked him better than Aho so far but small sample size.

NYI365

Let's Go Islanders!
Jun 5, 2011
Merrick, NY
The 43 doesn’t bother me because the Hurricanes do that all the time. The shoot and shoot. It’s the 16 that bothers me. We don’t create much offense. It’s an old story.
Tampa just beat Carolina like 8-2 or something like that and Tampa only had like 15 shots too. It's what CAR does

Reactions: MJF

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC

1701466957001.png

Reactions: PWJunior

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Tampa just beat Carolina like 8-2 or something like that and Tampa only had like 15 shots too. It's what CAR does
How often are you going to run into NHL goalies who have .870 save percentages? Thank God we did yesterday.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Dude always reminds me of Grandpa Simpson. And I was a huge fan of his as a player. I also think he’s a great coach… but no less annoying.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Wow, amazing to have so many really, really poor phases of team defense and STILL gutt out an OT W on the road against one of the biggest thorns in our side!

Of course, the blown 3rd period leads are so automatic, it's just dumbfounding.

Thought Varlamov looked great for 40 minutes.

Thought Lee had a very poor game on the whole, not having been able to see the entire 3rd period. It feels "useless" to have his immobility on the ice at the same time Barzal is out there flying around.

Holmstrom definitely keeps up better with Barzy and Horvat.

And are our goalies going to give up an average of roughly 4 goals per game now?

THANK YOU

Reilly:
I saw him at a WJC way back when in Russia and thought he looked fantastic. Incredibly creative. Incredibly dynamic.

His hunched over skating style of now is extremely weird and nothing like I remember having seen from him back in the day. He's hardly played this year, so he's coming in with rust, but he's had his struggles these first two games.

Better than having Bolduc out there though. Which we did anyways...

Ice time was:
Reilly = 13:05
Bolduc = 12:19

Reilly is already a -3 in these two games.

Last edited:

IslandersGER

Dec 29, 2015
Deutschland
And are our goalies going to give up an average of roughly 4 goals per game now?
35.4 shots against per game, 2nd worst next to Sharks.
Save percentage 7th with .911 is not bad.
4 Shutouts, only Pens have 5 and the next are teams with 2.
PK is 2nd worst in NHL.
-->it's not the goalies, the problem is overall defense

doublechili

Apr 11, 2006
Reilly:
I saw him at a WJC way back when in Russia and thought he looked fantastic. Incredibly creative. Incredibly dynamic.

His hunched over skating style of now is extremely weird and nothing like I remember having seen from him back in the day. He's hardly played this year, so he's coming in with rust, but he's had his struggles these first two games.

Better than having Bolduc out there though. Which we did anyways...

Ice time was:
Reilly = 13:05
Bolduc = 12:19

Reilly is already a -3 in these two games.
Reilly definitely brings a bit of the dynamic that we haven't had since Leddy left, however agreed about (hopefully just) rust because he's had some bad moments too. There's a reason why he was on waivers, so I'm not expecting Leddy. But he did come in here having played 12 NHL games this year and last year combined. So hopefully he gets better as time goes by.

doublechili

Apr 11, 2006
The CAR players absolutely love him. He's an ex star player, stays in shape, is very transparent and direct with the players, but at the same time very supportive, knows his Xs and Os, is a great teacher, and is like one of the guys but with the respect of the team. He relates to them very well.
I'm kind of just poking fun at him. I liked him as a player too (I live in Philly area and used to have Flyers' tix when he played) and can see that he'd be a good coach. He just comes across as perhaps the most intense person currently living. ;)

Reactions: beach

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad