GDT: GDT #21 New York Islanders @ New Jersey Devils | The Dawn of the Mike Reilly Era | November 28th | 7 PM | F/5-4 L

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
From an evaluation perspective they're absolutely independent.

1) He chose to fire Trotz.
2) He chose to hire Lambert.

Doesn't matter if he knew he was hiring Lambert before firing Trotz. As a fan it's irrelevant because he needs to be judged on who he hired, whether that was Lambert or anyone else.
Regardless of they were independent of each other or not.

BOTH DECISIONS WERE BAD and that's all on Lou.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Regardless of they were independent of each other or not.

BOTH DECISIONS WERE BAD and that's all on Lou.

I don't think anyone is suggesting that they were good. At most people, myself included, believe there's more to the story than Lamoriello being unhappy with Trotz and firing him. Ultimately it doesn't matter though.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Sorry. That's just your opinion. It's been posted here often enough that Trotz said he was ready to come back here and coach, "with a chip on his shoulder."

If you choose to not believe it that's on you.

Yeah I don't believe it. One of the best coaches in the NHL became available and we did not hear any rumors around the league of him being close to taking a new job.

He wanted a front office gig with less travel and that's fine.

I want to refocus the vitriol of Lou to the hiring of Lane instead of the firing of Trotz.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Yes that would have been the ideal situation. There were a lot of "what if" scenarios for this franchise 5 years ago. What if they kept Snow and hired Trotz for example, those who drank the Kool Aid would think such a thing could have never have happened. But just as much as they were wrong in thinking Lou was some sort of messiah, they were just as wrong in thinking that Snow was the anti-christ.
I’m pretty sure Trotz would never return Snow’s phone call. You seem to believe otherwise.

• Love
Reactions: Levi Walking Bear

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Yeah I don't believe it. One of the best coaches in the NHL became available and we did not hear any rumors around the league of him being close to taking a new job.

He wanted a front office gig with less travel and that's fine.

I want to refocus the vitriol of Lou to the hiring of Lane instead of the firing of Trotz.
All right. Lou hired a Trotz assistant who interviewed twice for NHL head coach openings and didn’t get either one. That was my first red flag. Then a 3 game audition when Trotz was taking care of personal business was red flag number 2.

Maybe Lambert doesn’t interview well and Lou thought he knew what he was getting, but I was leery of a guy who was twice a bridesmaid and never a bride. I said it the day Lou made the hire.

That’s my story and I’m sticking with it.

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
I’m pretty sure Trotz would never return Snow’s phone call. You seem to believe otherwise.
Do you really believe what how people think here on HFboards has any bearing on what goes on in the real world? Maybe we got stuck with Lambert because not other coach would pick up Lou's call just after he fired the best coach in hockey. Or maybe Trotz got so few calls to coach other teams because no team would hire a coach that the great Lamiorello just fired. We need to stop coming up with these self serving scenarios in our heads and just accept facts as facts.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Do you really believe what how people think here on HFboards has any bearing on what goes on in the real world? Maybe we got stuck with Lambert because not other coach would pick up Lou's call just after he fired the best coach in hockey. Or maybe Trotz got so few calls to coach other teams because no team would hire a coach that the great Lamiorello just fired. We need to stop coming up with these self serving scenarios in our heads and just accept facts as facts.

The facts are that Lamoriello has won multiple Stanley Cups and has hired a plethora of coaches during his time as GM in the league, many of which are considered to be quite good. Then there's Snow, who has a single playoff round victory to show for his GMing and has never hired a coach that has gotten a head coaching job elsewhere after their time with the Islanders. Snow himself hasn't gotten a job elsewhere since the Islanders.

Those are facts and those facts point to Snow not being able to get Trotz, or any other quality coach to come to Long Island because he couldn't and he didn't, ever.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Snow never was able to hire competent coaches. Whether you think it’s fair or not he had the stench of Wang’s circus on him too. Now you tell me if it’s because Snow really believed in Capuano and Weight or nobody else would return his calls.

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
The facts are that Lamoriello has won multiple Stanley Cups and has hired a plethora of coaches during his time as GM in the league, many of which are considered to be quite good. Then there's Snow, who has a single playoff round victory to show for his GMing and has never hired a coach that has gotten a head coaching job elsewhere after their time with the Islanders. Snow himself hasn't gotten a job elsewhere since the Islanders.

Those are facts and those facts point to Snow not being able to get Trotz, or any other quality coach to come to Long Island because he couldn't and he didn't, ever.
And what does this have to do with any of the problems the Islanders face today? We need to move on from Snow (seriously why are people so infatuated with him?) and Lamiorello's past and focus on the shit show Lou has assembled in front of us today.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
And what does this have to do with any of the problems the Islanders face today? We need to move on from Snow (seriously why are people so infatuated with him?) and Lamiorello's past and focus on the shit show Lou has assembled in front of us today.

You're the one who brought Snow up, again, so maybe you should ask yourself that question.

We are talking about Lamoriello's performance today, that's why fans want him on the hot seat. You're bringing up 5 years ago and thumping your chest about how right you were and how everyone else was wrong because they "drank the Kool Aid."

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
Snow never was able to hire competent coaches. Whether you think it’s fair or not he had the stench of Wang’s circus on him too. Now you tell me if it’s because Snow really believed in Capuano and Weight or nobody else would return his calls.
That WAS his greatest flaw, relying on untested lightweights such as Capuano and Weight. I don't find Lambert any better than those two. Do you?

You're the one who brought Snow up, again, so maybe you should ask yourself that question.

We are talking about Lamoriello's performance today, that's why fans want him on the hot seat. You're bringing up 5 years ago and thumping your chest about how right you were and how everyone else was wrong because they "drank the Kool Aid."
That had nothing to do with Snow but my reservations about Lou. I could care less about Snow and be honest with yourself, I didn't bring him up in any relevant way in this thread. The problems with the Islanders today has all to do with Lou and the decisions he made. I think we can all agree upon that.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
That had nothing to do with Snow but my reservations about Lou. I could care less about Snow. The problems with the Islanders today has all to do with Lou and the decisions he made. I think we can all agree upon that.

Again, you were the one who brought him up. Now you're annoyed anyone is talking about the hypothetical scenario you presented. Maybe you shouldn't bring those things up if you don't want to talk about them?

Was he wrong during the ECF trips? No, not really. Has he made poor decisions since then? Yes, absolutely. He's been a mixed bag, we saw some really good and some bad. Fans are reacting appropriately after the landscape has shifted.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
All right. Lou hired a Trotz assistant who interviewed twice for NHL head coach openings and didn’t get either one. That was my first red flag. Then a 3 game audition when Trotz was taking care of personal business was red flag number 2.

Maybe Lambert doesn’t interview well and Lou thought he knew what he was getting, but I was leery of a guy who was twice a bridesmaid and never a bride. I said it the day Lou made the hire.

That’s my story and I’m sticking with it.

Yup, and there was no other positive sound bite or clarification of WHY he was hired aside from "new voice."

Lou isn't the most boisterous and eloquent in his press conferences, but that didn't give me a good feeling.

Reactions: MJF

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
Again, you were the one who brought him up. Now you're annoyed anyone is talking about the hypothetical scenario you presented. Maybe you shouldn't bring those things up if you don't want to talk about them?

Was he wrong during the ECF trips? No, not really. Has he made poor decisions since then? Yes, absolutely. He's been a mixed bag, we saw some really good and some bad. Fans are reacting appropriately after the landscape has shifted.
Read again. I'd appreciate it if you would stop making things up.

Last edited:

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
They also missed the playoffs for 8 consecutive seasons, yes, 8. In year 4, were you going ‘wanna be like them?’ Highly, highly doubt it.

The Isles trade their picks and prospects as an effort to be competitive and obtain/retain talent, that would otherwise not sign with the Isles.

All UBS and Malkin have done is put the Isles in the same tract home development as the rest of the league vs being in the trailer park. Except that tract development has different levels for the buyer.

You get rid of them by buying them out or trading them with assets. No one wants the extra year on these guys, not in the offseason, not now. The 2025 trade deadline? Yes.

Tulsky has only been an assistant GM for the last 5 years though.

Would you rather keep Lou around and continue to lock up middle of the roster guys for 7-8 year contracts? This team is trending in the wrong direction.

I also find it very hard to believe the isles would not have been able to sign Palmieri/Pageau level talent in UFA. This isn’t the 90’s isles. This is a team with a fantastic arena, stable ownership, great practice facilities. And a stones throw away from NYC. One of the most desirable places for a professional athlete to live.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
And what does this have to do with any of the problems the Islanders face today? We need to move on from Snow (seriously why are people so infatuated with him?) and Lamiorello's past and focus on the shit show Lou has assembled in f

That WAS his greatest flaw, relying on untested lightweights such as Capuano and Weight. I don't find Lambert any better than those two. Do you?

That had nothing to do with Snow but my reservations about Lou. I could care less about Snow and be honest with yourself, I didn't bring him up in any relevant way in this thread. The problems with the Islanders today has all to do with Lou and the decisions he made. I think we can all agree upon that.
No. I replied to Mr Misunderstood in this thread what my red flag was about Lambert.

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
No. I replied to Mr Misunderstood in this thread what my red flag was about Lambert.
Well I usually agree with much of what you say. I think the only difference is that I believe this team is actually better than it appears. I think a change of coach will show that.

What did I make up?
That I was the one who brought up Snow. I didn't. I only responded to someone else who brought him up. He's the furthest person on my mind right now. It's really childish all this nonsense and btw I do stand behind all the things I did say about Snow in the past, but that's neither here nor there at this point.

Last edited:

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
That I was the one who brought up Snow. I didn't. I only responded to someone else who brought him up. He's the farthest person on my mind right now. It's really childish all this nonsense and btw I do stand behind all the things I did say about Snow in the past, but that's neither here nor there at this point.

Oh, someone made a Snow joke, then you brought up a hypothetical that was then discussed. Sorry, my mistake.

Reactions: Rehabguy

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Of course it was worth it. This team was broken before the new ownership and Lamoriello got here. It was a ray of sunshine. Unfortunately Lou came to a point after the 2021 season where he was no longer fulfilling expectations and goals. In pro sports nobody should have a job forever. This is a results league. Lou no longer gets the results so he should go.

Not long enough for you to put Lou on notice?
My Lou deadline is Barzal’s no trade clause effective date. Whatever happens from here on out, is what it is.

If you are an experienced coach, there are red flags on taking this job so term will be required on a deal.

Last edited:

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Tulsky has only been an assistant GM for the last 5 years though.

Would you rather keep Lou around and continue to lock up middle of the roster guys for 7-8 year contracts? This team is trending in the wrong direction.

I also find it very hard to believe the isles would not have been able to sign Palmieri/Pageau level talent in UFA. This isn’t the 90’s isles. This is a team with a fantastic arena, stable ownership, great practice facilities. And a stones throw away from NYC. One of the most desirable places for a professional athlete to live.
Yet the Isles are not a draw in the NHL despite those elements. It’s still seen as a 2nd fiddle burbanite team.

We can believe what we want, but JGP and Palms were set to be Top 5 and 10 UFAs in their UFA summers, a place the Isles annually strike out on, but they got Ladd… the reality is top flight free agents are not signing with Isles w/o any ‘play in time’ on the team before UFA hits. Just hasn’t happened.

The data guys are better as assistants vs actual GMs, which is a relationship based environment. If I was Malkin, turning over to Tulsty is a big risk.

If Lou and when Lou moves on, Collins will run the Isles and appoint a GM.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
My Lou deadline is Barzal’s no trade clause effective date. Whatever happens from here on out, is what it is.
You’re drawing an imaginary line in the sand for something you know is never going to happen. Lou and Scott Malkin made Barzal the face of this franchis. If you think Lou is going to have enough second thought to trade him now I don’t know what to tell you.

You may as well start expressing your outrage.

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
Yet the Isles are not a draw in the NHL despite those elements. It’s still seen as a 2nd fiddle burbanite team.

We can believe what we want, but JGP and Palms were set to be Top 5 and 10 UFAs in their UFA summers, a place the Isles annually strike out on, but they got Ladd… the reality is top flight free agents are not signing with Isles w/o any ‘play in time’ on the team before UFA hits. Just hasn’t happened.

The data guys are better as assistants vs actual GMs, which is a relationship based environment. If I was Malkin, turning over to Tulsty is a big risk.

If Lou and when Lou moves on, Collins will run the Isles and appoint a GM.

You don’t think we can sign top 10 ufas? Yet the Blue Jackets can sign Gaudreau, the Devils can get Hamilton, but we couldn’t get middle 6 players? Makes no sense. Surely the isles could easily sign these types of guys.

Regardless of who the next GM is, the current has reached the end of the road. Malkin needs to step in and remove Lou from day to day operations. I don’t mind Lou as a figure head, but he shouldn’t be managing the roster anymore.

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
I don’t mind Lou as a figure head, but he shouldn’t be managing the roster anymore.
I don't think he should have been managing it in the first place. It's only been 5 years. All the overpayments, over extended salaries, lost draft picks, traded and acquired players- those issues are still here. So if many of these moves were bad decisions, he should have never been in charge of managing the roster from the start. That is, unless you think what you see in front of you is acceptable. I don't think it's as bad as people seem to think. Coaching is the main problem.

Last edited:

Zeeker

Feb 15, 2016
You’re drawing an imaginary line in the sand for something you know is never going to happen. Lou and Scott Malkin made Barzal the face of this franchis. If you think Lou is going to have enough second thought to trade him now I don’t know what to tell you.

You may as well start expressing your outrage.
Start?

• Haha

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad